X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hf Radial Arm Saw Conversion Kit

Was looking at the HF site and found this thing on closeout (I wonder why). Who in their right (or left) mind would use one of these? Looks kinda scary to me. Tough o say w/o seeing first hand but it sure does not look safe or sturdy enough to have any level of precision.

Has anyone eyeballed one and what did you think?

I am not in the market or considering one, I have a nice older Craftsman RAS that works just fine and also a DW708 which is what I use most of the time.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=33576
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Yikes
    I can't see how that would work for cross cuts with no fence.
    Can you imagine the poor bugger that tries to rip with this setup?
    There is nothing to hold the wood down at the front of the saw and
    nothing to keep the wood from kicking back.
    They should not even be allowed to sell that device

Comment

Just when you think you've seen everything............
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I am truly impressed. I did not think that something of that level of craziness would be sold at HF. I certainly will not be in the market for one!

"Makes fast accurate bevels, rips, miters, and crosscuts."

I don't see how fast would be possible after one was done rigging up some type of system to clamp, fence and make it safe to use. Nor do I see any level of accuracy. Interesting.......
        Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Yeah, the last sentence in the description should read:
          "Saw, wood, AND CASKET not included."

It would be interesting to see how you attach this thing to your saw.

I looked through the manual, it's available online. They do show a fence and anti-kickback paws and splitter in the manual.
          Still, its scary to think of some of the people out there who might try building one of these.
          Last edited by Bob D.; 09-02-2006, 09:14 PM.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

What? You don't think that's a precision tool?!

Comment

A Late April

My first thought was this must be a delayed April Fools Joke. Hopefully the sales volume will be large enough to kill it off before too many of these devils spawn get loose. Of course they could be considered an aid to the Darwin Awards.
              Dick

Comment

They've had that thing in their catalog for years. Somebody must have bought it, but I've never seen or heard anyone comment on it. Maybe the users were all killed on their first attempt to cut with it. It is very scary, and I can't imagine it would produce accurate cuts. Real radial arm saws scare many people. That one takes the fear level to new heights.
                Joe Spear

Comment

Ras

While it looks dangerous, it's gotten me thinking about the best way to use a real RAS. Should cuts be made from a fully extended position into the fence or from the fence outward towards a fully extended position?
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

RAS Use

The RAS that I am familiar with (Sears 9") had its fence in one of three positions toward the column. In the normal two use positions, the blade was behind the fence and you made the crosscut by pulling the motor toward the front. The blade rotation would help to hold the stock into the fence. If you held your arm straight and rotated your shoulder backwards a kickback (actually a climb) was more controlable.

In the third fence position (all the way to the rear) you also had to start with the blade above the stock, start the blade and lower it into the stock, not a safe operation.

Comment

Actually the third position is only for rip. The blade should always be pulled through the stock. What make the difference is a proper RAS blade with a 0 to negative hook angle so the blade does not self feed but must be pulled through the stock

Comment

Working...
                      X