Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS 3650 Table Insert

Greetings from the Left Coast of Canada,
    I recently purchased a TS 3650 and have a problem with the table insert ( some may call it a throat plate) which is warped front to back about .100 inches. This is a major problem when setting cutter height to cut tennons. The table and the insert are not in the same horizontal plane. Anyone else observed this problem?

Regards,

Did you try playing around with the four height adjustment screws that are part of the throat plate? If that doesn't solve your problem, I'd call Ridgid Customer Service but not until I was sure that the insert is the problem. Chances are slim that this is the problem but take a small pocket size level and check the ledge that the throat plate sits on for level.

[ 10-12-2005, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: BadgerDave ]
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Dave,
      As I'm sure you're aware the insert leveling screws are located in the four "corners" of the insert. The problem which I have encountered can best be confirmed by placing a straight edge across the inset so that it rests on the cast iron table surface. This straight edge will contact the table and insert at the front and back of the insert but will clear the insert by almost .100" in the middle. The insert is warped!

Comment

Call Ridgid......they should send you a new one. Or go to HD and get them to trade for the one in their demo unit. ( I did this with the fence for my Craftsman hybrid TS) Or go to Sears with your plate and compare it to the plate for an old model Craftsman TS. They should be the same. You might be able to straighten it in a vise between two blocks of wood or on a flat bench with a rubber mallet.

[ 10-12-2005, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: I-9 ]

Comment

Before you do anything to the insert itself make sure you're not tightening the screw down too much. The stock insert in my 3650 twists very easily when the screw is overtight; if I just tighten it until the insert stops wobbling it's fine.
          -- <br />Often wrong, never in doubt.

Comment

Mr. Chips,

This doesnt solve your problem, but in the "for what it is worth department", I always set the height of my blade to the table top itself, not to the insert.

Jerry
            It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

I agree that one should set the the cutter height based on distance above the table rather than the insert. It is a matter of principal that the table insert on a saw that is new and was billed at almost $ 700.00 should be flush to the table.

Comment

Take a piece of hardwood and make a zero insert. I have the 3650 and never use their insert. You can plane it to a perfect thickness.
                Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Chips:
                  I agree that one should set the the cutter height based on distance above the table rather than the insert. It is a matter of principal that the table insert on a saw that is new and was billed at almost $ 700.00 should be flush to the table.
                  So why don't you call Ridgid and have them send you a brand spankin' new one??
                  Lorax
                  "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Place the insert face down on a piece of scrap then put another piece of scrap on top of the insert. Place a cinder block or something else heavy on top of the pieces of scrap. Let it sit for however long it takes to flatten it out to your satisfaction.
                    ================================================== ====
                    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Working...
                    X