Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Shop

Hello Everyone,

I am having trouble deciding which equipment to get next. My shop is in my 2 car garage and every night I put 2 cars inside it. I have a 10" TS, 12" Miter saw, small router with router table and a few hand saws. I was thinking of getting a bandsaw or a drill press. Which would get more use out of?

-Daryle
    -Daryle

===================================

I would think that the band saw would be the tool to get next. 'Course the significant other will probably say, "...but you have two saws now..."

Comment

that depend on what kind of work you do more of. if you do alot of drilling than the drill press might be better for you and your needs. now if you do alot of resawing and shape cuting then a band saw might be better, but if you do just small amounts of both then bench top models of one or both might be best for you. but what ever you do do not under size your tools for what you do, but you also don't need to over do it either as you would never get the most out of your tools either. hopefully you under stand what i mean.
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I have been doing small garden type project, but I recently started building deck furniture. I think a band saw might be better, but I do not have any more room for a bigger model and worry that I will not like a 9 inch bench model. I also do not own a plunge router and think that might be a good idea.

I have also been remodeling my house and am about to replace all my doors. I think a plunge router might make cutting the door hinges a lot easier.

-Daryle
        -Daryle

Comment

9" band saws are worthless for anything beyond small crafts.
          I have a 14" BS and even with that you need a lot of patience, but it will get the job done.
          The router is the way to go for your next tool. It is extremely versatile.
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

If you get yourself a drill press with at least a minimum of a 13" swing, I think you'll find that you will use it a lot more than you thought you would. For your deck furniture projects, predrilling with a DP will produce much cleaner and uniform looking results than using a hand drill.

I agree with Rafael that a small band saw is not worth the investment. They are a pain to setup and tune and an even bigger adventure when using one with stock over 1/2" thick. Just my .02 cents worth there.

All that being said, you didn't say if you had a random orbital sander. If you don't, that would be the next tool I'd buy if I was in your situation.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

router, go with the router. most versatile tool in the shop- just remember you also have to buy bits for that router.

I didn't have room or money for a huge, floor standing drill press- I got a small 10" benchtop craftsman for about ~$100 and I love it. I made my own table for it with some Tslots for clamp down and a better fence. It's not a power house and it only has ~2.5" depth but when you need some precise, accurate holes it's much better than a hand drill. I'm waiting until I can get a real bandsaw- the small benchtop bandsaws just didn't look like they were worth the trouble.

I haven't had a time yet where I really needed a huge drill press- but that all depends on what you're doing with it.

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I do not have a random orbital sander, but I do have a really nice Dewalt DW433K Heavy-Duty Belt Sander and one of those Mouse sanders B&D makes. Would I still need a random orbital sander if I have those 2 sanders?
                -Daryle

Comment

The random orbit sander will do things that the other two cannot do. If you want a fine finish, random orbit is the way to go. If you need to remove lots of material the belt sander will do.

My take on your needs is different than the previous ideas. Build yourself a shop. Your next tool should be space to work in.

Comment

Originally posted by foulkeworks
                    Thanks for the advice! I do not have a random orbital sander, but I do have a really nice Dewalt DW433K Heavy-Duty Belt Sander and one of those Mouse sanders B&D makes. Would I still need a random orbital sander if I have those 2 sanders?
                    Your belt sander is great if you have to sand away a bunch of stock and don't have a whole lot of time to do it in. A ROS, much like your Mouse, is better suited for finish sanding. It's been years since I got my first ROS and ever since I got one I don't think I've used my belt sander a half a dozen times. To answer your question, yes, you NEED a ROS.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I wish I had the space to build a shop. I thought about kicking my truck out to the driveway and using half the garage as a shop, but my wife was like we got a 2-car garage and we are going to park 2 cars inside it. We are looking to move next year and I am hoping we get a 3-car garage.
                      -Daryle

Comment

make your tools mobile. I have a 2 car garage (granted it is very big for 2 cars...) I built a skinny workbench that goes against one wall, mounted on it is my drill press and belt sander. It's at the exact height of my CMS and doubles as an extension table for longer pieces. Next to that is my compound miter saw. My table saw is mobile, before I had a ridgid herculift base I made my own mobile base (lots of ideas out there on the internet). And I mounted my router table to a piece of plywood that I could quickly set on top of 2 saw horses and clamp down. when it was time to work I pulled the truck out, rolled out the table saw, set up my router table, and I'm in business. you just have to be creative with your mobile bases. If I needed to I would set my CMS up on a mobile base as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X