X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dolly 1550 drill press

am looking at putting a dolly under a 1550 ridgid drill press. At issue 2 wheel or 4 wheel any ideas'

I went with a 3 wheel version similar to this one, http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?O...HDGFDADADADBDB

I'd recommend you sandwich two pieces of 3/4" ply together for the DP to sit on. Substituting 1-1/2" square metal channel for the 1-1/2" hardwood stock would also make the base much more solid.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have a delta 50-345 mobile base and I used white oak for stringers.
      It measures 24 X 27 with 3/4 ply as a base and it supports a 200 LB General 75-200 17" drill press. The base is very stable with the wheel up or down and moves easily with the wheel down.

Comment

Re: dolly 1550 drill press

Just bought a Rigid floor model drill press and was wondering about a way to move it to the door to use it. Well I found this page about a minimalist
        mobile base to move the drill press but does not interfer with the drill press once you set it up.

http://www.tundraware.com/Woodworkin...istMobileBase/

Comment

I stopped by for the same information regarding a moblie base for a new Jet 17DX floor model DP. No shortage on manufacturers out there... Rockler, Deta, Jet, Delta, HTC, Dewalt and Powermatic...
          After reading customer reviews (mostly at Amazon.com) I am lost..
          One thing I did learn, the price range is roughly $60 to $80 with a few in the $200 range. One important thing to watch. Many of these are "hardware only" and you provide and prep. the lumber or plywood.

Anyone out there with a Jet 17 that has a recommendation?

Comment

Terry, any of the above mentioned suggestions would also apply to your Jet DP. In my opinion a major consideration would be how large you make the base for the DP to sit on. The wider and deeper you make it, the more stable the DP will be when you move it around the shop.

Comment

I agree with Dave, and I'd like to also remind everyone that that design of a DP makes for a high COG (Center of Gravity). No matter what type of mobile base (or not for that matter) you put under it it will always be subject to tipping if not anchored down or will be cumbersome to move because of the high COG so be careful. When the head of that DP lands on your foot you will be thinking up volumes of new words to describe the pain.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                ....... When the head of that DP lands on your foot you will be thinking up volumes of new words to describe the pain.
                I sure am glad I didn't see a, DAMHIKT, added at the end of that statement.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                  I sure am glad I didn't see a, DAMHIKT, added at the end of that statement.
                  Yup, I do not have first hand knowledge of this, just applying my brain and thinking about all the stupid things I have seen or heard of people doing in the past. I ask in my class what's the dumbest thing you've done on the job (safety wise), and some of the stories I hear would scare ya.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X