Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6" dust collection on Ridgid equipment

Hello,

I have a very small shop and asthma, so dust collection is important to me.

That being said, I am retrofitting my bandsaw and jointer with a 6" dust flex hose to the equipment. I can not seem to find anyone that makes a 6" dust cover -- ie 6" being the diameter of the hole, not the size of the machine in the case of the jointer.

I can't believe that I am the only one out there trying this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

How about visiting a local sheet metal shop and have them custom make one? It should be very easy for them to do that and most likely would cost an arm and a leg either.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I dont think it'll help. THe shroud on the jointer is your bottleneck, and to improve DC on your BS add a DC hose to your lower wheel housing.
      I'd suggest getting the best DC system you can afford and use a good respirator.
      I use the 4" port on my jointer and it gets nearly 100% of the dust.
      BS DC is terrible.
      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Re: 6" dust collection on Ridgid equipment

Rafael, what type jointer do you have? I have the Ridgid and it has some problems with spitting chips out under the cover over the head. I get lots more here than I do out where my dust collection is connected.

Comment

Originally posted by northgaman View Post
          Rafael, what type jointer do you have? I have the Ridgid and it has some problems with spitting chips out under the cover over the head. I get lots more here than I do out where my dust collection is connected.
          Have you checked up the chute to be sure there is no obstruction? There's something seriously out of kilter for more to be coming off the top of the cutterhead than out the dust port.

Originally posted by geoloh View Post
          Hello,I have a very small shop and asthma, so dust collection is important to me.

That being said, I am retrofitting my bandsaw and jointer with a 6" dust flex hose to the equipment. I can not seem to find anyone that makes a 6" dust cover -- ie 6" being the diameter of the hole, not the size of the machine in the case of the jointer.
          I can't believe that I am the only one out there trying this.
          Any thoughts?

Thanks.
          You would need a DC pulling a lot of air to handle the 6" runs. The popular HF unit is said to only handle 5" max. More than that you have too much of a pressure drop. Did you do an online search for this? I know that Oneida and Penn State offer duct layout services for those who buy ducting from them. I'll bet that they'd even counsel with you about the viability of such a large duct. My HF does nicely with 4" everywhere but I've read that the 5" would do a better job with fine particulates.
          Best of luck,
          Chiz
          Last edited by ironhat; 10-03-2007, 10:32 PM. Reason: clarity
          Later,
          Chiz

Comment

If chips are constantly coming out under the cover you either have a clog or your DC is inadequate to suck all the chips. I wouldn't see an occasional chip as being a problem. It's the dust that is the real problem, if you DC gets all the dust then I wouldn't be too concerned.
            www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Working...
            X