Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Oak Lumber (rough cut) for $1.75 a foot A GOOD DEAL?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Oak Lumber (rough cut) for $1.75 a foot A GOOD DEAL?

I have been offered about 500 board feet of rough sawed solid red oak lumber coming in a few widths from 6-12 inches wide and a little ove 1 inch think in boards of various lengths of 5-8 feet. The guy was going to build some cabinets etc w/ wood (wood from michigan) but never did and is selling the wood for about $1.75 a board foot.

I do not buy rouch cut wood that often so if any of you know if this is a good price let me knwo. I am meeting him tonight so any quick response is greatly appreciated.

Also I am looking to buy a Rigid TS2412-1, 13 A, 120v, belt drive, cast top and steel wings for $125... practically new.. is this a good deal?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Comment

The last rough-cut red oak I purchased was last Sept. and I paid $1.75 per bd ft, and that was in SE Michigan.

Woodslayer

Comment

Thanks... Thought his price wasnt too good to be true. He actually bought the wood in Michigan and brought here to Boise where he moved...

how low should I offer him w/ out insulting him?

Comment

The price on the saw sounds too good to be true...., but I don't know how much they went for new. I got a 3650, and I think the 2412 is the shorter fenced grand pappy of the 3650. I think it might even be the one pictured on the cover of "The Table Saw Book" by Kelly Mehler

Comment

Originally posted by Hector B
            The price on the saw sounds too good to be true...., but I don't know how much they went for new. I got a 3650, and I think the 2412 is the shorter fenced grand pappy of the 3650. I think it might even be the one pictured on the cover of "The Table Saw Book" by Kelly Mehler

The price is real I assure you just making sure it was a good deal. I havent been able to find a saw like this and its book value... so just asking...

Comment

The price on the oak may be a fair price. It depends on what sort of shape it is in. Look for boring insects. If it has bark on it, be very careful about boring insects. I can buy rough red oak for less than $1.90 bf, especially if I'm buying 500 bf.

Forgive me if I'm out of line, but please know how to calculate board feet before you make the purchase. Your statement "a little over 1 inch thick" makes me assume that it is 5/4 stock. Make sure you know how much you are buying.

Also, you don't yet own a table saw. To work with truly rough lumber you may need a table saw, a planer, a jointer, and a band saw just to get to the point where you can start on a project. Do you have anyplace to store the lumber until you get going?

As for the 2412, if it is in really good shape, $125 is a good price. I may be wrong, but I think the 2412 and 2424 were the first 2 saws made by Emerson for Home Depot. They were both good saws, but to say one is "practically new" may be a stretch. Check for rust under the saw and on the arbor. Take off and put on the arbor nut. The 2412 didn't come with the Herc-U-Lift.

Good luck. Think twice about the lumber and look twice at the saw.

Comment

Thank you for the information. I believe the wood is 5/4 thick... w/ no bark. I will look over very well. I am getting the table saw this weekend and ahve a garage to put it in.

I have a planer and assess to neighbors joiner and band saw... I have just about every other tool but table saw as we just barely purchaed our first home w/ a 2 car garage that is now my shop!

Thank you for all the information. That is why I love this forum!

Comment

Get the saw, you wont be sorry. As for the wood, 500 bd. ft. is quite alot to handle right off. Offer him 1.25 for it to take all. I pay 1.40 for rough kiln dried red or white oak. S.E. Indiana.

Comment

Working...
                  X