X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP: TS2400 Dado Stacks

Can anyone tell me the thickest dado stack you can put on the 2400. I bought a freud 208 at HD the other day, tried to put on a 3/4" stack to try it on for size, and noticed that the only way that the 3/4 stack would fit on the arbor was without installing collar blade between the outside cutter and the arbor nut. So, I guess two questions:

1: Using Freud DD208, thickest stack possible using all hardware, i.e. collar nut

2: Is it safe to run the dado stack without using the collar blade. My common sense says NO, but checking with other 2400 users on this issue.

I haven't checked my TS or Dado manuals, but memory is telling me that running a dado without the out side collar is okay, and approved(?) by the manufactures. I've done it, first on my old RAS and now on my TS2400.

I still use the collar when the dado width permits, but somewhere around 5/8" wide the stack up is too much for the collar to be used.

I see 2 factors permitting the collar to be left off. 1) The extra meat or thickness of the dado stack stablizes the unit, and 2) the dado is smaller in diameter (typically 6" or 8" vs the 10" normal blade) and thus any run out would be correspondingly smaller.

That said, lets see what the experts on the forum have to say.
    Dick

Comment

I think you're right

Having done some research since my post, I found from a similar situation with the Bosch 4000, that Bosch endorses leaving the outside collar off. Also, having read a little on the Freud 508, the thickness of the blade, as you mentioned, acts as stabilizer. Well, either way, I'm returning the 208 as I don't like the lack of ease in setting up the stack. I'll spend a little more on either 508 or Forrest. I found Forrest Dado King for $240, and Freud 508 for $199. Forrest gets the better review, has own sharpening service, made in USA, etc. But Freud has anti-kickback, which forrest doesn't. Dilemma!

http://www.forrestsawbladesonline.co...Dado_King.html for the $240 price.
      Last edited by danimal1208; 09-06-2006, 09:35 PM.

Comment

I think you'll find that the Forrest Dado King and the Freud SD508 aren't any easier to setup than the SD208 you already have. With the exception of the Freud SD600 Series sets and some wobble dado sets most all dado blade sets setup pretty much the same.

As far as the outside washer/collar is concerned, I generally don't mount the washer when I'm making a dado cut that is wide enough that I have to use at least one of the chippers. As long as you snug up the nut and don't over tighten it those blades aren't going anywhere and will be very stable.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by danimal1208
          Can anyone tell me the thickest dado stack you can put on the 2400. I bought a freud 208 at HD the other day, tried to put on a 3/4" stack to try it on for size, and noticed that the only way that the 3/4 stack would fit on the arbor was without installing collar blade between the outside cutter and the arbor nut. So, I guess two questions:

1: Using Freud DD208, thickest stack possible using all hardware, i.e. collar nut

2: Is it safe to run the dado stack without using the collar blade. My common sense says NO, but checking with other 2400 users on this issue.
          If you check page 51 of the online maneul for that saw you willl see it is ok to not use the collar.
          SSG, U.S. Army
          Retired
          K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Dado

Thanks for the info on both the manual (didn't look hard enough in there before), and on dado sets. I'll feel much better about not installing the outside collar now.

Comment

Working...
            X