Metal Detector Wand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Detector Wand

Harbor Freight has the #94138 CenTech 9V Metal Detector Wand on coupon special for $29.99, normally $49.99. This is a retail store only special. If the quality of this metal detector is as good as their digital calipers it's a great deal. I've been talking myself in and out of buying one for a long time and this deal has settled my inner battle. I'm gonna get one. For anyone else interested, here is the coupon you'll need to get the $29.99 price, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ema...B/images/5.jpg
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Please be so kind as to offer the rest of us a review of the piece when you get it. I have been looking at this same detector and wondering whether it is a good unit.

Comment

It appears to me that this metal detector for the most part will work for me anyways. The maximum depth that its supposed to read down to is 13/16" but I actually had it beeping at deeper depths.

Keep in mind that the test I did was quick and simple. After shooting a 3/4" 18ga brad into the 4x side of a piece of scrap 2x4 I scanned the side that I didn't shoot the brad into. The metal detector went off immediately. Next, I shot another 3/4" brad into the 2x side of the test piece and again scanned the opposite side and this time the metal detector failed to detect the brad. Considering that it would have had to scan through approx. 2-3/4" of wood to find the brad I wasn't surprised that it didn't find it.

For the next test, I shot a 1-1/2" 15ga finish nail into the 2x side of the test piece. Again, scanning from the opposite side as I shot the nail into the metal detector failed to locate the nail.

As a final test, I screwed a 2-1/2" long deck screw into the 2x side of the test piece. Once again, scanning from the opposite side as I drove the screw into the metal detector easily found it this time.

For the type of work I do I found these result very acceptable, other may not. Scanning rough logs for resawing comes to mind where I think maybe a metal detector that is a little bit more sensitive than the HF one is might be a better choice.
      All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

My application involves the reclamation of primarily white oak lumber from a very old dilapidated barn where hidden imbedded metal is a constant threat to my jointer and planer knives. Sounds like that unit is just the ticket.

Comment

Re: Metal Detector Wand

I've had this detector for a couple of years, Dave. It works, and works well. I even use it as a stud finder. I have no regrets and paid full price, for the sale price it's a steal.
          ken
          Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Dave's original post was 09/07/2006. The coupon is no longer available.

Sorry Guys.

Bill

Comment

Works as a stud finder? There is a great idea. The next remodeling job I get I will buy one and try it. My problem with stud finders is the speed at which they have to be used is so slow. Maybe the metal detector will read faster.

Thanks for the hint.

-Tom

Comment

As I was looking up game bird recipes a question occured to me. Will metal detectors work on non-ferrous metals eg, bird shot?

I think I will post this question on the Hunting post in Open Discussion also.

-Tom

Comment

so the coupon cant be found anywhere any longer?

Comment

That coupon was for a sale way back in Sept. of 2006. If you can wait, it does go on sale a few times a year for that price. If you can't wait, you can get it today from their website for $40 plus freight. HF #94138 Metal Detector Wand

Comment

Thanks for the coupon link!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X