No announcement yet.

Maple board vs. plywood thickness

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple board vs. plywood thickness

For some oak bookcases I put together awhile back, I was able to make them out of 3/4in oak veneer plywood and then add an off-the-shelf (HD) 3/4in oak board strip to the shelves and round it over and all that.
    I've been asked to do the same thing in maple, and after poking around a bit, maple hardwood plywood comes in 3/4in, but the board lumber is cut 4/4. Now I guess they don't say that it's 1in. just to fool the new guys like me <vbg>.
    It does mean I have to buy a jointer-planer to take 4/4 down to 3/4 before I can match the boards to the plywood, yes?

or trim a 1/4" off on the table saw
    9/11/01, never forget.

If you're goal is to end up with the boards and the plywood to all be the same thickness then yes, a planer would be the easiest way to accomplish that.
      ================================================== ====
      All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Or you could do what I do, and just use this as perfect reason to get a jointer/planer. I'm actively searching for justification now for drill press...

Or use your TS to cut a rabbit to accept the plywood and leave the full 1" (aka 4/4) thickness to give the front edge of the shelf more mass and a little extra stiffness. Use a 1/8 or 3/16 roundover bit to soften the edge if you wish or dress it up with an ogee or other shape bit in your router.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.

Have you seen the maple board? 4/4 is the rough cut measurement. If it has been milled it is 3/4".

do you have a friend with a planer?

Is birch available in solid wood, it is a very similar grain and look,

can you find a different source for the lumber that may be planned all ready or a pre made trim,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Measure the Maple Board

I agree with Jim the Pipestone Kid's reply. 4/4 doesn't always mean it's exactly 1" thick. Just like 2x4 doesn't mean the stud is exactly 2" x 4". I'm still fairly new at this, but I haven't found a 4/4 board yet that was actually 1" thick.

Measure the maple board if you can. Then decide how to proceed.

Still able to count to 21....

Agree, 4/4 is a rough lumber dimention from the mill. HD will sell it as 3/4 finished size or dressed size

If the maple board is S4S, it will probably be 3/4" thick. The ply is probably 23/32" thick. The extra 1/32" can be left proud or sanded (or routed) flush. If the maple board is more than 3/4" thick, you can still leave it proud or trim with a router with a flush cutting bit or even sand it down.

Another way is to rip your maple board to the thickness of the ply. But this will leave the end-grain exposed and may cause some staining issues.

I'm sure you have thought of this and it doesn't work with your design, but on my bookcases, I like to add a 1 1/4" or so thick edging. I like the way it makes the shelves look more substantial.

laminate trimmer

i would just cut my stripps and use a lam trimmer to cut off extra.
                      BMW R1200RT
                      Last edited by RODDY; 01-22-2011, 09:32 AM.

Thanks for the help. Apologies for the lenght of time to respond. I guess I'm off to investigate planers.

Boo!!! do it yourself

I like Bob D's suggestion to cut a rabbet and keep the extra maple. If the wood turns out to be 3/4" finished, I might even cut 1" or 1.5" strips and rotate them to accept a rabbet.