Closed Bottom DC on 3650

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed Bottom DC on 3650

I've found some pics on an outfeed post by Bob D that showed a little bit of closing off the bottom o the 3650 for dust collection. I run my saw with a DC system (not a shop vac). The collection doesn't leaves a good deal falling through and on top of the hurcules lift. It's a pain to clean up all the time.

Bob D or others, so you have a good description (and pics) of how you closed off the lower part of the table. Seems like a real trick to close this off with a slanted drop, like Bob D has done. Any tips and tricks here? I could just close it off flat on the bottom, but that would leave a good deal of sawdust collecting in the corners.

Thoughts? Regards, Justin

If I was buying a TS-3650 today and was reading through this forum before putting it together, I think I would put a piece of 10 gage sheet metal between the leg set and the saw cabinet, and cut an opening for a 4" DC fitting in it and be done with it. I don't think I would go to the trouble of building that sloping bottom as I did on my saw. I would not worry about the sawdust that collected in the corners, it can only get so bad then it will fall off and roll down toward the DC port.

Biggest hurdle is overcoming the gaping hole in the back of the cabinet. The big opening reduces the effectiveness of any DC connected to the saw or basically any contractor style TS of similar configuration. Some people have made ingenious magnetically attached covers that close this off almost completely when making 90 deg. cuts which they remove if they need to tilt the blade. I have not gotten that concerned about dust as yet, but I realize it would certainly help a great deal. I closed off all other openings I could find to help the situation the best I could. There are spaces between the underside of the CI top and the cabinet, around the blade tilt indicator, and the back of the saw of course.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Bob - I suppose the dust collecting in the corners is not a problem. I think I'll close off the bottom flat and hood up DC at the bottom. I am planning on doing the back with magnetic panels that can be removed for bevel custs when needed.

Great saw, I just love it with only 4 mos of working with it. Regards, Justin

Comment

I have given my comments above some further thought and it would probably be best to make the bottom panel removable w/o too much trouble so you can access the adjustments on the saw for alignment. If you fully close in the bottom of the cabinet tight with no way to remove it all adjustments would have to be made reaching in from the back working around the motor and belt, or remove one or both those pieces to gain access. In any case it would make adjustments that much more of a PITA, which you will curse me for.

You could if you have a friend who works sheet metal get them to bend you up a bottom piece with a flange that you could screw to the bottom edge of the saw cabinet and also put a pitched or sloped bottom in it. Then you would have a nice setup.
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

What about sewing a bag/chute that attaches to the bottom. The weight of the 5" flex hose would hold it down and would also create a tunnel/chute shape. Could create a rectangle wood ring that would screw up to the bottom of the saw box enclosure and hold the fabric dust chute. It could be removed by screws when access is needed.

The flex tube could be attached with a simple clamp around the flex tube (or at least an adaptor to attach the flex tube to).

I also like the take it to a metal shop and have them fabricate the chute.

DCG

Comment

Working...
          X