Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball Bearings burning up bad on bandsaw, good replacements?

Hi, I have dual upper and lower ball bearing blade guides that seems to be burning up pretty quickly, and I hardly ever use the machine.

It's the Grizzly G0555 "The Ultimate 14" Bandsaw" unit.

Anyway, I'm looking for some good enclosed ball bearings-- any suggestions?

The model number for the bearings I have is either 608Z or Z809 (would have been nice to have a number that could make it easier to identify the bearing).

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Rob

Ack, sorry about all the other threads..I dunno what happened.

Anyway, mods, please delete the others if you get a chance...and sorry again.

Comment

Originally posted by brooksbuilt
      Hi, I have dual upper and lower ball bearing blade guides that seems to be burning up pretty quickly, and I hardly ever use the machine.

It's the Grizzly G0555 "The Ultimate 14" Bandsaw" unit.

Anyway, I'm looking for some good enclosed ball bearings-- any suggestions?

The model number for the bearings I have is either 608Z or Z809 (would have been nice to have a number that could make it easier to identify the bearing).

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Rob
      I have the same saw. I’m not sure how all 4 of your bearings are “burning up”. Maybe they are to tight against the blade.

By “burning up” do you mean they will not spin?

Maybe you received defective bearings.

I would call Grizzly and have them send you new bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by MrZ
        I have the same saw. I’m not sure how all 4 of your bearings are “burning up”. Maybe they are to tight against the blade.

By “burning up” do you mean they will not spin?

Maybe you received defective bearings.

I would call Grizzly and have them send you new bearings.
        I bought the saw in January and no, I don't have the blade too close to them. One of the bearings locked up to the point that it wouldn't move, and so I bought another one through grizzly. But the other ones seem kind of rough as you spin them suggesting they are about to meet the same fate as the first one.

I'm just curious as to why it's happening, and if you say you've never had a problem, then I wonder if it's me after all. I also wonder if not have a dust collection on the unit for the first 4 months of use could be another downfall as dust could have gummed up the bearings.

Anyway, I was hoping to find some good enclosed bearings to fix this problem.

Thanks,

Rob

Comment

This may be helpful

http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchi...24matband.html

Barry

Comment

I've heard of people using roller blade replacement bearings with good success.

Comment

Originally posted by brooksbuilt

Anyway, I was hoping to find some good enclosed bearings to fix this problem.
              I think the stock bearings are sealed.

Could you have over tightened them?

I don’t think not using dust collection killed the bearings.

Comment

608Z

What you there IS the bearing size I believe.

Go to any roller skate online seller, eBay, or other such site and search for 608Z roller bearings.

The skate quality bearings are less than $0.50 each. I hope the bear wasn't charging you too much more than that

608ZZ bearings are made of Carbon Steel and can rotate up to 34,000 rpm, 608ZZ bearing has 2 metal shields to protect the bearing from dust or any possible contamination, 608ZZ is self lubricated bearings (bearings are already greased).
                • 608Z Bearing Size: 8 mm x 22mm x 7mm
                Last edited by Bob D.; 09-17-2006, 12:25 AM.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

how do some poeple seam to know every thing about every thing all the time?????? bob i just have to say good job as always
                  Originally posted by Bob D.
                  608Z

What you there IS the bearing size I believe.

Go to any roller skate online seller, eBay, or other such site and search for 608Z roller bearings.

The skate quality bearings are less than $0.50 each. I hope the bear wasn't charging you too much more than that

608ZZ bearings are made of Carbon Steel and can rotate up to 34,000 rpm, 608ZZ bearing has 2 metal shields to protect the bearing from dust or any possible contamination, 608ZZ is self lubricated bearings (bearings are already greased).
                  • 608Z Bearing Size: 8 mm x 22mm x 7mm
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy
                    how do some poeple seam to know every thing about every thing all the time?????? bob i just have to say good job as always
                    I'll let you in on a little secret - it's called the internet and there's a thing called "GOOGLE" my friend!

Comment

Originally posted by Newman
                      I'll let you in on a little secret - it's called the internet and there's a thing called "GOOGLE" my friend!
                      that is true, but bob takes the time and puts in the effort to research and post these facts. also it's not that easy to pin point the exact tables and info. he seems to have a nack for cutting to the chase. 1224 post and counting. i think he has put in countless hours and days to keep up with the vast amount of info he has provided.

90% of my post comes from first hand experiance. 10% comes from research.

keep it up bob. you never stop impressing me with all your info. infact i just spent the last 1/2 hours looking at that ball bearing site. gotta roll

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

yuck!

ditch the bearings and switch to cool blocks

Comment

Originally posted by subiemech85
                          ditch the bearings and switch to cool blocks
                          I talked to someone about that and they said that that would be a downgrade.

*shrugs*

You guys are all great. Thanks for the great information!

(oh, and I paid $8 from grizzly (plus S&H) for that 1 bearing. )

Comment

Wow, that website, www.vxb.com, has some great prices. But it literally costs me twice as much to ship 10 of those suckers then for the actual product.

Anyway, thanks again Bob D..

Comment

"I'll let you in on a little secret - it's called the internet and there's a thing called "GOOGLE" my friend!"

True Newman, but in this case it comes from research I did on building a CNC router.

Knowing WHERE to find some information and logical ways to search for it is sometimes half the battle. I spend a good deal of my day planning work researching information on the materials and equipment to be used during the job. At the place where I work there are better than 600,000 drawings of all types (civil, arch, elec, pipe iso and spool, hanger details, mechanical, P&IDs, you name it) and untold thousands of manuals, procedures for performing testing and maintenance, and test reports of all types, as well as about 25 years worth of maintenance history to dig through. It's now-a-days almost all digitized and stored stored on computers that live who knows where any more (doesn't really matter). As with any system for storing records that spans decades changes in the methodology and manner in which those records are stored evolve. I learned to search through these systems and find what I am looking for 97% of the time. This and a long time presence on the internet that pre-dates the WWW help me find information when others may not.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X