X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby Crib Staining/Finishing Questions

I need your help guys. My dad and I have all the wood for our cribs all done and preped. My question is.

Is it better to stain before glueing or after. Also.. should we use baby safe stain as well as baby safe finish. We have baby safe finish but no stain. We will go out to the store to buy some if we need tonight.

Thanks a lot,

Josh

Well, you have probably already gone out and picked up your stain by now. I wonder where everyone was all day that I am the first responder to this post.

Anyway, you know that them there kids are gonna be putting anything and everything in their mouths as they grow. Taste being one of the earlier senses to develop they are gonna give everything the taste test. So play it safe with the finish and the stain I say. I've never used any myself so can't recommend any but there must be someone here who has.

Come on guyz, lets give Josh a little help here. Anyone that can speak for or against a particular stain or finish?
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

A baby safe stain sounds OK, I didn't know they made the stuff. All the glue I've ever used has never taken stain and shows up very unsightly.

Good Luck on your project!

Comment

Not sure of what is really 'safe', I know I personally ate a bunch of white crib paint in the 60's (scares me to think what it was) but I'm ok (twitch, twitch )
        I think the only thing that is really safe would be cutting board finishes like mineral oil or LV's food safe pure tung oil (unless the lads are allergic to nuts). So perhaps mineral oil is your best bet

Comment

If you want to play it safe, just skip the stain and apply some amber shellac since it is FDA approved and quite safe...

Comment

From Mrs Seat Down

Josh,

After many years of working with babies and small children, I find that cribs are actually the one item that kids do NOT suck on. I think it is purely for inconvenience and inaccessibilty of the bars. I run a licensed day care center and there is no such thing as child friendly stain. Throw in a pacifier and other things that are "chewable" and the crib bars will be safe!

The bigger concern for newborns is blankets and pillows inside a crib.

Hope this jelps,
            Joey
            phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the replies, my plan of attack is to use the stain we picked out an put 3-4 coats of baby safe finish on the cribs. The most probably place for them to chew is on the side rails and those will have covers. If they do manage to chew through 4 coats of finish then we may try to cover it again.

We are getting really close on the cribs. Ill have to post some pics when they are finished.

Thanks for the help,

Josh

Comment

what you worried about a good share of the crew here grew up on lead based paint and see how we turned out,
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Yeah that's probly why he was worried.

Comment

Well I went with regular stain and a water based finish. check it out. All set up now.

Comment

Beautiful job Josh. Its about time to fill them up isn't it?
                      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Very nice job Josh. Gotta be any day now right?
                        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Looks good Josh. I'm sure your wife is about ready to move the little ones from current location to the new cribs about now! My wife likes the theme of the blankets/bumpers you chose.
                          Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

yep.. the time is drawing near. My wife has gone way past what any docs thought she could. We now have an elective c-section scheduled for the 30th if she can make it to that. I am really excited now that we are past the scary parts of the pregnancy.

I'll post a pic of them when they are born.

Thank you everyone who prayed for us durring this tough pregnancy. Its turned out to be quite the blessing.

Josh

Comment

Awesome cribs Josh.....did you use plans?

Bless you and your wife during the pregnancy.

Comment

Working...
                              X