No announcement yet.

Warranty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With all due respect to KellyC He is buying the lowest cost tools aimed at the hobbyist and complaining they aren't standing up to day to day usage in a commercial application.

Your statement is incorrect as I am not actively buying hobbyist tools and have not for quite awhile. I would never have bought them in the first place had I been able to afford top shelf tools like I have now in the first place. Not all of us are able to buy the best when going through slim economic times. Unfortunately, when I had to replace older tools, I didn't have the means to buy the quality, so I bought the cheapos to get me by...I knew they wouldn't last forever, but by the same token, I was not ready to replace them so fast either. Their quality is the lowest of all the tools I've used to date.

I don't want to go back to those who made those tools for my shop. It's really pretty simple, I've had really bad luck with tools made by Ryobi and those they made for Sears and I will not go back to buying them under ANY name.

Ridgid has never been a tool company that I considered in the same category as Ryobi. When I sold my Delta tablesaw, I considered the Ridgid to be a step up. Since I couldn't afford the obvious best choice for me (PM 66), I bought within my budget.

Porter Cable, Dewalt, Black and Decker, Skill, Sears and Dremel tools that will fail faster than any Ryobi tool

With the exception of Sears in the last few years, I completely disagree with this one. I own tools of the other makers and all have lasted very well over the years and their quality is known to be miles ahead of Ryobi.

The Sear argument doesn't hold up. What Ryobi is building for Craftsman is exactly what Sears ordered I assure you. I also assure you if Sears wasn't selling them or was losing money on warrantee work they would be changed. I also assure you if Sears wasn't happy someone else would be making the tools.

I say it does...Sears isn't unhappy (just like HD's isn't pissed) because Ryobi met their price point. With that price point comes warranty work. I'll bet you now that the warranty work is more frequent than ever and that they accept that as the cost of doing the business they are now (which I understand is up since the opening of their "Tool Territory"). Every day I walk into HD's, I look at the return carts to see what tools are in there...75% of them are Ryobis...that's a sign for those in the know.

I for one am not going to be buying any new Ridgid tools. The more I think about the bail out of Emerson from the WW'ing toolmaking business, I can only see the example of what's happened to Sears tools as the future of Ridgid. I will watch and see what happens of course, but the testing will be up to others.

I used to think like you do RevEd, but after a few bites ya gotta stop sticking your fingers in the anthill! I've been replacing the cheap tools in my shop for over two years now and have got 95% of them out. Maybe when you get to that point, you'll understand why we are so against the shift to Ryobi manufacturing.
    Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

KellyC
      First I don't want a fight but your first paragraph says my statement is incorrect. How? If you bought Ryobi tools, which even Ryobi admits to be aimed at the hobbyist DIYer and they they broke and you complain what did I say that was incorrect?

You also disagreed with my statement that other manufactures from time to time make junk that break faster than Ryobi. I owned a Porter cable Tiger cub reciprocating saw. It has a gear in it. That gear was replaced once $73. After the last replacement I took the saw home and began to cut through a tree branch, half way through the gear stripped. I took it back and the Porter cable dealer told me to he would replace the whole tool with the larger Tiger Saw since the Tiger Cub was junk. Porter Cable no longer makes it I suspect they learned it was a piece of junk.

I bought a Dewalt 618 router and before I used I noticed a screw was stripped. After talking to Dewalt I found this to be some what common. In other words a brand new tool has a stripped screw in it.

Is this saying all Porter Cable or all Dewalt tools are junk? No, but it is saying no one tool manufacture make the perfect tool of each type.

You said you checked the return at HD and 75% are Ryobi. Now check the check out I bet Ryobi represents 90% of what they sell so one would expect to see them represent 75% or better in the returns. The number that is important is percentage of returns in relation to sells. I don't think either of us know that number so all we can offer is opinions. It would be interesting to know if that number is higher for Ryobi than any other tool manufacture.

I'm not defending Ryobi, I view them as hobbyist tools which I try not to buy. But I also think if Ridgid has them build Ridgid tools they can duplicate the existing quality. I may be wrong but time is the only way to tell for sure.

I agree we should buy the best we can afford but even then we can get burnt. By the way I never bought a Ryobi tool. And I only own two Sears tools both older than 20 years. I try to buy Makita, Milwakee, Hitachi, Dewalt, Delta (the ones made in the US) Porter Cable and Ridgid.
      Rev Ed

Comment

As I said before, the Ryobi's were bought as replacements for my shop tools not jobsite tools so the statement you made wasn't correct either in context or time frame...you said I was buying...meaning I was still buying Ryobi tools presently. (The recip saw was a gift and was used once on the job until the blade lock allen screw stripped out...the first blade change).

So you have a few examples of other tool smakers problem items...yep they all have them...what I am telling you is that Ryobi has many more than any other manufacturer....

I am in the store everyday M-F (rarely on the weekends)...I never see any Ryobis sold during the weekdays This means the DIY'ers are buying them on the weekends (when no one in his right mind would go to HD's). They might outsell the quality tools on those two days, but then as I said the returns are very high, so is it that profitable for HD's? I venture to say less so than before they hit the shelves.

This is going to be the last post I make on the subject. My experience is that Ryobi is junk, pure and simple. You can try and pick apart what I say all you want but that will never change what I know about the brand.

[ 05-23-2003, 02:34 AM: Message edited by: KellyC ]
        Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

< Bill Clinton voice on >
          What is the meaning of WAS and what is your meaning if IS ?
          < Bill Clinton voice off >

Comment

KellyC
            I apologize to you. When I read your first append I came to the natural conclusion you were buying the Ryobi products. You are right I was wrong.

The point I was trying to make is to compare a $39 cordless drill to one that costs $200 and say the $39 drill is inferior thus proving the company is not capable of making anything of quality is not fair nor is it proven correct.

As to the HD issue neither of us know the exact return rate of Ryobi tools, neither of us know what HD's net or realized profit on selling Ryobi tools after returns and all. This I think we do know if HD were losing money they would stop doing it.

I have a friend that buys only Ryobi cordless drills. He has found they will last about 3-4 years with his usage. He has also found out that after about 3-4 years the batteries for his 8 year old Dewalt cordless drill go bad. He reasons that since he can buy the drill/battery set from Ryobi for less than it will cost him to replace the Dewalt battery he is money ahead. Bear in mind he is a home hobbiest and "down time" means nothing to him. To him Ryobi makes a tools that fit his needs for minimal cost.

[ 05-23-2003, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: RevEd ]
            Rev Ed

Comment

Working...
            X