Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-Slot Featherboard recommendations, (please!)

Hello again,

I'm looking for a featherboard I can purchase that'll fit in my Ridgid tablesaw T-Slot. I've looked at a few but I'd like to see what some of you, professionals, think.

Thanks!

I'm hardly a professional, but I picked up Rockler's feather board (catalog no. 53677) on sale for something like $10. It is handy, adjusts or removes quickly and does the job.
    Dick

Comment

If your Lafayette is the one in IN., the next time you're in Indianapolis stop by the Harbor Freight store. I have this one, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=36697 and it works alright.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

At one time I did build custom cabinets for a living,

and I did use feather boards a lot, I have never bought one tho, MY saw has the slots but no T slots,
        I do have a band saw, and I would just pick up a scrap of wood usuaslly from under the arm saw or the table saw, and go ot the band saw and cut the feathers in the board, and use a hand screw or C clamp, to clamp it on, or make a holder that I could clamp on to the table,

but if you have a T slot all you have to do is make the fingers and a slot, find a bolt and washer that will catch in the T slot and a wing nut and your in business, or a flat piece of steel that has a hole drilled and tapped in to it and a short stud, to catch the t slot,

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ww_sho...418550,00.html

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...n=Custom&ID=65
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I have had good luck with the ones from Rockler. I have also made my own and you can buy the parts to mount them in the T-slot (I got them from Woodcraft and Rockler). Or just use a bolt and washer as BHD mentioned.

WWS
          Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

I'm no pro either, but I like the Feather Loc from Benchdog,

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=2076

They're got them at Lowes if you want to see them. I like how they lock into your slot by expansion. I clamp them to the fence too as hold downs, but I think I'll get the Tandem Feather Loc that comes fitted with the 1/4" hex for the fence slots.

Comment

Works great but pricey

I have the Feather Loc from Benchdog also.
              I think it works great and have been wanting to get another one but to me the $25 price is extreme. I just haven't been able to make myself do it.

Hey BadgerDave, what is your opinion of the Feather Loc compared to the HF that you have?
              Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Originally posted by nobunaga-sama
                Hey BadgerDave, what is your opinion of the Feather Loc compared to the HF that you have?
                nobunaga-sama(what the hell does that mean anyway), I've never really looked at or used the Feather Loc so I'm basing my comments on what I read on Hectors link.

I really can't see much advantage with the Feather Loc FL100 over the HF model. Both are made of plastic. I'm sure the FL100 is heavy duty plastic but then so is the HF. The main purpose of the feather board is to hold your workpiece against either a fence or hold it down to the table top when making a cut. My HF unit has never failed to do that nor has it ever come loose once its been tightened down.

I don't like the price tag but I do like the looks of the FL200 feather board. I've been looking for a feather board that will mount to the slots in the Ridgid fence and this one appears that it will.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Say no more...

Hey Dave,
                  Oda Nobunaga was a Daimyo (lord) until (i think is was) 1582 when he was assassinated by one of his own generals.
                  He was a major butt-kicker at the time.

Well it seems like for the price the HF feather would be just fine.
                  If BadgerDave says it's a keeper then by-gum i'm gettin me one too!

Thanks Dave
                  Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

You know, now that I think about it, I'm in process of refurbishing a 12 year old Craftsman Tilting Head Band Saw, and maybe I'll use it to make my own fence mounted feather boards. I've already got the 3/16" toilet bolts, the nobs I can get at my local Woodcraft. Hmmmmm. Sounds like a plan. Besides, $40 for the FL200 Tandems is pretty steep right now.

Anyone know what wood would be good to use?

Comment

For featherboards some straight-grained popular should work fine, and not expensive. Stay away from wood with knots in it, tight or otherwise. Choose wood with grain that runs in the direction of the feather cuts so that your cuts will be in-line with the grain, and produce long flexible slivers of wood that will not snap or break.

Pine would also work and if you don't have any scrap to use look in the scrap or offcuts bin at the lumberyard. If you are there buying lumber and are a 'regular' ask if you can have one or two pieces 12 to 18" long from the scrap box to make featherboards out of.

When I worked in a lumberyard just out of school we used to burn this stuff in the winter so its not like it going to cost them anything to give it away. If you have not noticed HD and Lowes have a bin or rack close to the swing arm saw (or they might have a big RAS). In there you'll find short cuts for less than a buck. Why buy a good 6 or 8 ft board then cut it into short pieces for featherboards?

That lumberyard I worked at also donated many BF of wood to the local Cub and Boy Scouts and 4-H Groups for various projects for many years.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks Bob D. I'll check on some poplar scraps.

brooksbuilt - figure out what you're gonna do yet??

Comment

Feather Boards by BenchDOG on Sale

Hey everyone new to the forum. I noticed that BenchDogs were on sale til December 31, 2006 at WoodCraft

Comment

Originally posted by Tnblues30 View Post
                            Hey everyone new to the forum. I noticed that BenchDogs were on sale til December 31, 2006 at WoodCraft
                            Thanks TnBlues30. I was going there to check out the Rikon 10-320 14" Bandsaw this week.
                            Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Look at the 10-325 which just came out.
                              13" resaw and other improvements over the 10-320
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X