X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which tools to buy?

Hi. I'm a newbe to the forum. I've read this forum in the past and realize it's packed with good advise. So I'd appreciate any that you could provide on a decision i need to make. I am interested in a table saw, jointer and planar. When i read the wood magazines, they all say to buy the most expensive tool you can afford. However, I'm not sure i need the "best"... perhaps i only need a good set of tools? I am a hobby person.... haven't had time for a lot of wood working in the past, but would like to get more involved, now that the kids have left the nest and find i have more time. So my best line up (based on where i can look at these things and touch them) is a General 50-185MI table saw, General 80-100L Jointer and a DeWalt 735 Planer. My good line up is a Ridgid TS3650 table saw, Ridgid 6P0610 Jointer and Ridgid Planar. Price differential is $835. Since i haven't had an opportunity to use any of these models, i hope you could offer some advise. Many thanks.

I have a predecessor to the 3650 and love it. I have the same Herc-U-Lift and 36" rails as the 3650. At the price, there isn't a better table saw out there. I also have the Ridgid Planer (JP0610). It's a great toll for rabetting and jointing edges. As far as a planer is concerned, one of the tool mags had a great article on planers and couldn't say enough good things about the Dewalt. I'd probably get a good compound miter saw before either a jointer or a planer. Just my $.02.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Welcome to the forum barclayacres. With all those General Tools and the Ridgid and DeWalt tools, it sounds like you live between a Woodcraft and a Home Depot.

I'm sorry, but I don't have any input for you on the General brand, but playing with them at Woodcrafters, they sure seem to be pretty good tools.
      Personally I've chosen a number of Ridgid tools because of brand recognition, price point, warantee, the comments on this forum about the tools, and what I determined to be my current and short term skill level.
      The power tools I purchased in order are, Craftsman 7.5A Electronic Router, Ridgid 12" SCMS, Ridgid 3650 TS, Ridgid W4050 4gal Vac, Ridgid R2600 5" ROS, Ridgid R2500 1/4 sheet OS, and a used Craftsman 12" Tilting Head Band Saw. The order was based on an as needed basis.

Comment

if you're patient, i'm sure the Ridgid TS3650 will be on sale sometime soon, possibly the planar too.

in the mean time, why don't you go to the HD website and sign up for a 10% off coupon from their moving section. Then wait until it goes on sale and use the coupon in conjunction.

Here's what I recently did: Bought the Ridgid TS2400LS with a 20% off coupon (ebay) and when Ridgid had their 10% rebate program. The ts2400 was originally $449, and after the $90 discount from the 20 off, and the 10% rebate of $45 (they gave me the original price rebate), the saw ended up costing me ~$317 plus tax.

I didn't have $450 and i really wanted that saw, or the Bosch. That price was in my budget because i made it fit. Don't buy things at full price, wait until they go on sale and use a coupon.

Trust me, if you're patient, you can take advantage of great deals.

BTW, if you decide on the Dewalt planar, Amazon has $50 off a purchase of 299 and over, and $25 off $150, and an additional 10% off hand tools and accessories. but make sure you buy it from AMAZON and not one of the other companies, like Grizzly or ToolBarn that offer on there, because you won't get the discount and free shipping not sales tax, etc.

Comment

Welcome to the forum barclayacres. With all those General Tools and the Ridgid and DeWalt tools, it sounds like you live between a Woodcraft and a Home Depot.

I'm sorry, but I don't have any input for you on the General brand, but playing with them at Woodcrafters, they sure seem to be pretty good tools.
          Personally I've chosen a number of Ridgid tools because of brand recognition, price point, warantee, the comments on this forum about the tools, and what I determined to be my current and short term skill level.
          The power tools I purchased in order are, Craftsman 7.5A Electronic Router, Ridgid 12" SCMS, Ridgid 3650 TS, Ridgid W4050 4gal Vac, Ridgid R2600 5" ROS, Ridgid R2500 1/4 sheet OS, and a used Craftsman 12" Tilting Head Band Saw. The order was based on an as needed basis.

Comment

"Most expensive" and "best" aren't necessarily the same thing. Getting the best you can afford makes sense, spending more on the same quality doesn't. Any of the tools you mentioned are excellent for hobbyist tools. Pick those that will suit your needs, that you "like" the best, and that offer good value. Once you narrow the field to where they'll perform the task well, it's just a matter of finding the right situation and price for what you want. The tool with the most emotional weight for me is the TS, so that's where I'd really emphasize getting what you like, then get a good blade or two. Have you considered a hybrid saw with a full enclosure? Same price range, same power and electrical requirements, smaller footprint, and better dust collection....

Comment

Thanks for your input

Thanks to everyone that posted advise.... very helpful. Right now I have a 10% discount from HD for opening a charge card. So i figured that into my cost delta between tool sets. One post suggested i get a chop saw first... i have a DeWalt floor model from HD that went on deep discount due to model changes.... love it. Many suggestions on how to get even more discount from HD... very appreciated, as well as the tip on Amazon $50 discount on DeWalt planer... that could get me into a DeWalt. OK, can't wait to pick them out... will let you know what i finally decide. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X