No announcement yet.

My version of the router table

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes to both- 3/4 melamine, and the legs/aluminum cross brace support the router

Comment

Table saw fence with router extension???

All the home made router table extensions look great. I am just debating whether to build or buy. Mulecab looks nice and I've seen on other posts much about it.

Question: Is it possible or practical to use my existing table saw fence along with the router extension on the ts3560? Seems I could add a "sacraficial fence" out of wood in order to leave a gap for the router bit. Am I making sense or is this purely a bad idea?

Thanks.
      Skip
      Stay well and play well.
      Skip

Comment

Table Saw Fence w/ Router

Skipsax, that is exactly what I did on my TS2400. It works great. With the wood sacrifical fence there are no worries of accidently damaging the ts's fence. The micro adjust feature of the Ridgid fences is a real bonus for making those micro adjustments (IMO the micro adjust feature of the Ridgid fences is way under rated as an asset to these saws).

When I fab'd the fence I made it with 1 full length piece and 2 short pieces that bracket the router bit. The short pieces are adjustable for open width. I even add a shim behind one of them and use the router for jointing. To use a slot cutter I install a couple of pieces of 2x behind the short pieces to gain enough depth for the slot cutter bit.
        Dick

Comment

Originally posted by Dick L View Post
          Skipsax, that is exactly what I did on my TS2400. It works great. With the wood sacrifical fence there are no worries of accidently damaging the ts's fence. The micro adjust feature of the Ridgid fences is a real bonus for making those micro adjustments (IMO the micro adjust feature of the Ridgid fences is way under rated as an asset to these saws).

When I fab'd the fence I made it with 1 full length piece and 2 short pieces that bracket the router bit. The short pieces are adjustable for open width. I even add a shim behind one of them and use the router for jointing. To use a slot cutter I install a couple of pieces of 2x behind the short pieces to gain enough depth for the slot cutter bit.
          Dick,
          That's pretty much what I had in mind. Is your extension table homemade or from Mulecab or someone else? Can you post pics of your fence configuration?

The Mulecab router fence is $65 on top of the $169 for the Mulecab 27" Router Extension Table. Saving $65 on buying the fence (assuming I have a Mulecab extension) seems like a good idea. I don't see a downside here. Any else have thoughts on this?
          Stay well and play well.
          Skip

Comment

that's what I did, see the pics, I use my accessory/sacrificial fence clamped to the ts fence. works great

Comment

skipsax, I made an auxilary fench that slips over the TS fence. On the router side I boxed it 3 1/2" from the fence and created a vacume port for my shop vac hose. I'll post some photos today to give you some ideas. I also used
              3/4" melamine covered shelving to make the router table, using rprice54's photos as a guide. When said and done I'll have about $35 invested in the build, my only expensive addition will be a router lift and plate for the router.
              If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Re: Table Saw Fence w/ Router

The TS2400's fence is very similar to the construction of the TS3650's fence. However, the TS2400 has a sliding right side extension. I put my router table (insert) into the hole that opens with the extension fully opened. I made the insert from a laminate covered desk top. Pictures of the insert were posted some time last year, search on "ts2400" and "router table". I think this is the correct link "http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5992".

I've not taken any pictures of the fence addition I described in the post above. Its pretty straight forward. Uses counterbored bolts to engage the fence's t-track slot for mounting. The short fence pieces use bolts that fasten into t-nuts in the full length fence, with slots for adjustment and counterbored (routed) clearence for the bolt heads. I used hard maple for the fence, but MDF, oak or almost anything that is reasonably solid and will give a smooth surface should work.
                Dick

Comment

Here are a few photos of the auxiliary fence I built for my router table. This is my first attempt to attach photos here so bear with me.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Amcnrl,
                    Yes! That's what I'm talkin' about! Do you have plans/measurements for this?
                    Also, does it actually attach to the ts fence or just ride on top?

Thanks much.
                    Skip
                    Stay well and play well.
                    Skip

Comment

skipsax,

I finally finished the router project. The auxiliary fence slips over the TS fence and I put 2 bolts in the T-Track of the fence, 1 in each as you can see in the new pics, which hold it in place. I used scrap birch 3/4" plywood for most of it and scrap maple for the adjustable router fence. The blade side is 27" long and the router side is as long as the TS fence. The spacers are 3 1/2" wide by the height with the center capped and a hole for the shop vac hose. I also put bottom pieces in between the spacers for parts storage and to keep it square. You may want to print the pics and use as reference. I'll answer any questions you have. Keep in mind I'm fairly new at woodworking and may not be able to describe everything. Hope this helps..
                      Attached Files

Comment

Amcnerl,
                        Thanks for the great pics and info. One more question: What did you use for the router insert?
                        Thanks.
                        Skip
                        Stay well and play well.
                        Skip

Comment

I went to Sears and they have an insert designed for their router tables, $20. It's 1/8" steel. I drilled and mounted the router to it then drilled a couple of holes to mount the entire essambly to the table. Some day I'll invest in a router lift insert, easier to adjust the bit height.

Comment

Not sure if I already replied, but thanks for all the info. I just started today on my own router table, inspired by yours and others. I think I'm going to put the alluminum bracing on all four sides. Just eyeballing the position of the melamine, it seems there might be some sag even before cutting out for the router insert. I thouroughly researched my resources for polycarbonate and came to the conclusion that an MLCS router insert would be best for me. I'll have to post some pics whem mine is done. Thanks for the inspiration!
                            Skip
                            Stay well and play well.
                            Skip

Comment

Looking forward to the photos. I have legs yet to install along the front of the router table. I thought there may be sag too, so I mounted the table to the fence rails and set my router on top for a week and nothing sagged. If it does, I think I'll buy a couple of cheap c-clamps and clamp a strip of scrap wood to the TS extension wing and under the router table. Good luck and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by amcnerl View Post
                                Looking forward to the photos. I have legs yet to install along the front of the router table. I thought there may be sag too, so I mounted the table to the fence rails and set my router on top for a week and nothing sagged. If it does, I think I'll buy a couple of cheap c-clamps and clamp a strip of scrap wood to the TS extension wing and under the router table. Good luck and have fun.
                                Amcnerl and RPrice54 and Bob D.,

Here's my effort on the router table extension. Thanks to you three (and others I've probably borrowed ideas from) I've come up with my own version.

The support legs are the same as Bob D. posted here elsewhere. Got them on Ebay for $7 each.

I framed the 3/4 melamine with 1/16 x 3/4 x 3/4 aluminum L bracing.

Per WBrooks suggestion, I added an aluminum T-Track. That cost about $10 on Ebay.

I chose the MLCS insert instead of making my own. It took up more real estate, but I like the removable rings shoud I attempt using larger, raised panel bits. That was $35.

The 3/4 melamine is pretty sturdy but I took a BIG chunk out of it where I routed out for the T-Track. To compensate, I added a 2" strip of melamine underneath. This gave me some stock to screw the T-Track into as well as a solid edge for the support legs to rest against.

Sorry for all the details but I found other pics and info VERY helpful in putting this together.

Next, I plan to build an auxiliary fence to use with the router extension.

Thanks again and Merrry Christmas!
                                Skip
                                Attached Files
                                Stay well and play well.
                                Skip

Comment

Working...
                                X