No announcement yet.

My version of the router table

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The auxiliary fence slips over the TS fence and I put 2 bolts in the T-Track of the fence, 1 in each as you can see in the new pics, which hold it in place...I'll answer any questions you have.

Amcnerl,
    Just about to start on the fence (like yours and RPrice54). I've been staring at the pics you posted. Here's the question:
    RPrice54 simply added the fence to the router side and said he "clamps" it in place. You have wrapped it around the top of the fence and over to the TS side and fasten to the t-slots on top.

I'm thinking I'll make mine like RPrice54 did - but fasten to the T-Slots on the router side of the fence, rather than the top like you did. What is the advantage of wrapping around and fastening to the top of the fence as you did? You're looks great. I'm just trying to keep it simple and light.

Skip
    Stay well and play well.
    Skip

Comment

did you buy alum angle with pre-drilled holes or did you drill them yourself? If you did them yourself, how far down did you put them and what diameter hole did you drill?

also, those extendable support legs are dynamite! is there a model number or name on them? I googled them but was overwhelmed by hits that were irrelevant.
      Last edited by franklin pug; 12-25-2006, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Franklin Pug,
        I did find the same "legs" at my local Lowes, although I bought them on ebay. I'll post the auction link here. I paid $7 each, plus shipping. 4 of them (2 to use on a back feed table later) cost $40 to my door. They are much more $$ at Lowes. They are actually "security bars for sliding glass doors"

The holes in the aluminum were easily drilled on my drill press. I used hex bolts, lock nuts and washers about every 4" to attach to the t-slots in the rails. I don't even know the size. I have a bunch of washers, nuts and bolts in an unmarked bin -sorry.

There was a lot of trial and error on my part. There was no deadline, so I just had fun figuring it out. Link below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Patio-Sliding-Gl...QQcmdZViewItem
        Stay well and play well.
        Skip

Comment

Originally posted by franklin pug View Post
          did you buy alum angle with pre-drilled holes or did you drill them yourself? If you did them yourself, how far down did you put them and what diameter hole did you drill?

also, those extendable support legs are dynamite! is there a model number or name on them? I googled them but was overwhelmed by hits that were irrelevant.
          Oh yeah, the most important thing is to drill holes in the aluminum L brackets slightly larger than the hex bolts themselves. This will allow you to adjust the height of the melamine to the cast iron extension when installing.
          Stay well and play well.
          Skip

Comment

thanks

I am almost done my route table extension - all i need to do is add the router plate.

I used plywood extandable legs to keep cost down. I found a 16 x 28 piece of5/8 melamine in home depot cut off bin for 51 cents and used it for the top. I also hardwired a steel conduit box with a switchable duplex outlet in case i needed to turn the router off in a hurry (wouldnt have to reach under the table).

The outlet also runs a shop vac for dust collection. Flip the interupter switch to start the router and the shop vac also starts.

Finally, I used the freud FT 1700 router - everything is above table: lock release, bit change, height adjustment.

I'll post some picks when its completed.

All said and done, the table should cost about 50 bucks.

Comment

Yeah, please post pics when done. I like to see how other people do this stuff. This made a good project, inbetween woodworking projects for me. Ultimately I didn't make mine as inexpensively as you and others but it still was a lot less than buying the mulecab or other pre-made extensions - a lot more fun too!
              Stay well and play well.
              Skip

Comment

skipsax, Sorry for the delay. Was on vacation for Christmas. The table looks great. Nice and clean. Did you attach the angle aluminum to the TS extension? I like the legs you modified. My next upgrade will be buying a router lift plate and mounting it to the table in place of the steel plate I'm using now. It's a bit of a hassle trying to get the exact depth and bit changing takes a little time.

Not sure why I wrapped the auxiliary fence around the saw fence. Just thought it would be easier to set in place.

Post more photos when you're done with the fence.
                If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

amcnerl,
                  Just logged on before heading out to the shop to finish the fence - glad I did!
                  I will post pics of the fence when done. Thanks for the kind words.

The aluminum rails are fastened to the TS rails about every 4" or so. The legs were an idea from Bob D. Light and easy to install.

I'll post more pics soon - maybe later tonight...
                  Stay well and play well.
                  Skip

Comment

Originally posted by amcnerl View Post
                    Did you attach the angle aluminum to the TS extension?
                    No, I didn't. They are fastened only to the TS rails. I could add a temporary c lamp (as you or someone else suggested) but I don't want to drill the cast iron extension at this point.

While making this out of 3/4 melamine I thought that gluing up two pieces of 3/4 to make a 1 1/2 thick extension might be more stable. It would be heavier too and I'm not sure if that would actually be good or bad.

Whatever the case, I'll keep my eye on the router extension for sagging over time. I'm only mounting a Dewalt 2 1/4 HP router when I use it. A 3hp router might be more of an issue for sag.
                    Stay well and play well.
                    Skip

Comment

Fence Done. It works!

Well the auxiliary fence for the router extension is done. It is very similar to rprice's and amcnerl's design. I just modified their designs to suit my needs. Just made the first dust and it actually works!
                      Pics below:
                      Attached Files
                      Stay well and play well.
                      Skip

Comment

skipsax, looks great. Now think how much dust you can make in a hurry. Time for the projects to begin. Enjoy...

Comment

Re: My version of the router table

i have run across some 3/4 inch Plexiglass for the table top an some 1/4 inch MR10 (non-maring) Plexiglass for the router mount , How would is hold up or do as a top for my router table add-on ?

Comment

twisted1,

Not sure how to answer your question but you don't want any sag in the table top. I would imagine there wouldn't be any, 3/4" plexiglass is fairly stout. I would lay the plexiglass across the fence rails and set the router you're going to use on it and look for sag. That's what I done for about a week with 3/4" particle board covered with melamine, store bought shelving. One concern I have if the plexiglass is clear, wouldn't you be distracted with the view thru it? Good luck, post some pics when you complete the project.

Comment

I've been getting a bunch of PM's asking for pics since the website is down.

sorry, we moved and changed internet providers. I'll try to get some more pics up. I'll be honest though, it's started sagging over time.

I'll try to describe it- I used 24" wide melamine particle board from Lowes and cut it down to fit between the rails.

I mounted aluminum angles underneath it and drilled holes in the aluminium to bolt to the rails. Drill the holes oversized so you can adjust it up and down. The rails keep this part flat and straight.

What I should have done was attach 2" or 3" strips of plywood to the back and front edge (hanging off the end of the saw) to keep it flat. The rails keep the sides of the table straight and flat, but the middle sags.

Then you can use that strip of wood to attach the legs down to the floor. I made some little adjustable feet as well, although probably the better approach is to use aluminum angles attached to the saw like someone else posted here.

Make sense? I'll try to get pics up.

Another lesson, the 1/4 polycarb is great for a base, not so great for a router plate. It's sagging a bit too. Next will be 3/8 polycarb until I can get a real metal (aluminum or steel) plate with all the fixin's.

EDIT: See the first post, I will try to post the original web page.
                              Last edited by rprice54; 03-18-2009, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Hey guys,

First post on here. I just picked up a TS3660 for $360 on sale at the local home depot, and I have a Milwaukee 3 1/4 HP router that I want to put under a homemade router table addition.

My question is whether or not the added weight on the fence (from the router fence addition) degrades it's accuracy over time with many cycles back and forth. Especially since the weight is much heavier on the routing side. Do you let the router fence ride on the table top? I can't imagine that it's held up by the fence as well.

Thanks,

Christian

Comment

Working...
                                X