X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My version of the router table

I put legs on mine and I think most people would recommend that. the rails could 'probably' support the weight, but by the time you have a heavy router, a fence, and downward pressure you're putting on a workpiece- I would hate to bend the rails and then be out another couple of hundred bucks to replace the rails.

Adding a couple of adjustable feet takes no time. some people have even put supports angled from the saw to the table to maximize mobility.

Comment

Originally posted by rprice54 View Post
      I put legs on mine and I think most people would recommend that. the rails could 'probably' support the weight, but by the time you have a heavy router, a fence, and downward pressure you're putting on a workpiece- I would hate to bend the rails and then be out another couple of hundred bucks to replace the rails.

Adding a couple of adjustable feet takes no time. some people have even put supports angled from the saw to the table to maximize mobility.
      Thanks for the quick response. I was actually asking about the fence itself, not the table extension. It looks in the pictures like you are putting quite a bit of weight on the table saw's existing fence, and since it's more to one side than the other, I was wondering if this caused any warping, abnormal wear of the fence with this extra weight on it.

Thanks,

Christian

Comment

the router fence sits on the table surface, it is clamped to the TS fence, but there's no weight or torque on the fence- it just keeps it straight and still.

Comment

I think after 3 years of reading forums I have finally stolen enough information and have thus finally completed the final phase of my TS3650. The extension table and router table are finally complete. I had a lot of worries about the router table (especially the fence) but here it is and I just ran off some moldings and they are perfectly formed and absolutely no burn marks (a first for me). I have made it gentleman. I am now self elevating myself from wood hacker to the status of novice woodworker.

I am on an extremely tight budget so this is for all those that have no cash. I probably made the extension and router table for around $70. The 12 ply was free and I got it off a pallet of underlayment. The legs are made out of 1inch ridgid electrical conduit. To make them adjustable I slipped 3/4 inch bendable electrical conduit and then drilled holes in them. I used a dremel to remove what was in between the holes and slip in a few bolts and they are adjustable. Then buy 3/4 inch leg protectors for the bottom. One foot of U channel will get you the brackets just drill holes in them. 15$ worth of materials and a fun afternoon and you have legs for out feed and router table support.

Some nuts and bolts and both tables are completely adjustable. I do get some war page with the 12 ply so they do need slight adjustments. Maybe I will go melamine when I ware these out. The router plate is from harbor freight for $28ish shipped. (I think I will ware out the inserts within 2 years so will most likely by a rockler $40ish one later)

The fence probably needs more explanation if anyone wants to make it but here goes. (the hard part) I first cut the U shape exactly to go over the fence. I put one piece on right and one on left. I slipped 1 playing card on both sides of the fence and clamped it hard to the fence (this is so it fit snug but would come off easy and it worked). I then spread glue on the top and placed the top piece and screwed it. I made sure that the whole thing sat 1/16th higher off the table so it wouldn't catch on anything. After the glue up I cut the dato's and the rest was fairly easy. I need to rework the dust collection (I think i need a bigger hole). My shop vac currently misses about 20% of the dust. This thing actually glides over my table with no real catch and it doesn't seem to tweak my fence at all. The Quad feather boards are an outstanding investment. I wouldn't buy bench dogs, buy rockler's double feather boards (on sale) and then buy two miter slot adapters and you magically have 4 feather boards and 2 extra tall feather boards when you need um. Its woodworkers bliss for barely any coin.

Few things I would do over is I would get rid of that big gap between the adjustable fences. Thats easy to fix. I would move the router plate as close to the cast iron leaf as possible to take full advantage of the feather boards. If anyone wants explanations or photos or just help I would be rather flattered. I did steal/modify most of the designs so I do throw out a thanks to the guys up top. Ohh if you like the blue shelf thats a 15$ buy from menards.
          markweibrecht@live.com

God Bless guys and keep the great ideas coming its very appreciated.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by quiktoes; 07-19-2009, 09:38 PM.

Comment

very nice man, well done.

Comment

Looks good Mark, enjoy.

An outfeed table makes cuts so much
              safer, it's a wonder they are not offered
              as an accessory by more TS manufacturers.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob D I just joined this forum and have been looking to upgrade the 3650 i bought this summer. I have seen your out feed table post with all the pictures and I saw your router table set up. How did you do yours? Do you have pics and explanation on here? I like what is out here and i will be getting ready to set mine up, do you all have any advice on things you might have done differently? and one last thing how do you all feel about the power set up on these saws? Should you go with the stock 110, or upgrade to the 220 or 230 whatever it is...your advice. Thanks

Comment

Nice setups

Comment

Here is my version of the table extension and router table.
                    By the way , many thanks to all those who shared their knowledge and experience with us.
                    I would have never made it without you.
                    May God bless you all.
                    I reused a router table that I bought last year. It works well for me.
                    I use a Milwaukee router, that I also bought last year. It is perfect for this application.
                    A friend of mine made the riving knives for me free of charge.
                    Now my next project is to install the dust pan so that I can use the dust collector I bought at HF yesterday.
                    I plan on lifting the whole saw from the ground and to block it to install the dust pan
                    Bert
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by b2rtch; 01-22-2010, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Do you happen to have any close up pictures of how you attached the router table to your saw? I have the same setup and im wanting to attach a table to mine. Thanks!

Originally posted by b2rtch View Post
                      Here is my version of the table extension and router table.
                      By the way , many thanks to all those who shared their knowledge and experience with us.
                      I would have never made it without you.
                      May God bless you all.
                      I reused a router table that I bought last year. It works well for me.
                      I use a Milwaukee router, that I also bought last year. It is perfect for this application.
                      A friend of mine made the riving knives for me free of charge.
                      Now my next project is to install the dust pan so that I can use the dust collector I bought at HF yesterday.
                      I plan on lifting the whole saw from the ground and to block it to install the dust pan
                      Bert

Comment

Hey Bert, that looks very good. I would appreciate seeing photos of your DC system when you finish it. Thanks and God Bless you as well! Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by ndekens View Post
                          Do you happen to have any close up pictures of how you attached the router table to your saw? I have the same setup and im wanting to attach a table to mine. Thanks!

I shall post some pics tonight if the website let me do it!.
                          I was not able to post any pics in the last two days.
                          Bert

Comment

ndekens, I just wrote that I shall post some pics of how I mounted my router table, I did not mean to lie to you but I am not going to do it because the pictures I took really do not show anything.
                            I replaced the rear angle iron with a longer and stiffer one.
                            I reused this angle iron to mounted the router table.
                            This is quite simple:
                            I remove the right from square tubing and I drilled the angle iron which supports it to install 2 x1/4x 1/2 flat head screws and I also drilled 1/2 of the reused rear angle iron that I mounted like "L" .
                            I use the other half for the rear.
                            I did the same thing in the rear and I installed shims so that the router table is level with the table saw.
                            I installed my existing router table and I screwed to the angle irons, in which I had drilled holes ( 2 on each side).
                            I reused as much of the router table as possible, in fact I reused everything but the stand.
                            I hope this help.
                            Bert

Comment

Working...
                            X