X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accuracy of 3612 vs ryobi3100

I make less than 100 cuts a month on a borrowed $99 tradesman. It works but is barely more accurate than a circular saw. My big need is accuracy. The saw will not travel, it will remain in my shop and be moved within it. It will not be used for ripping large pieces. What is a good way to go?
    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Please describe what you mean by accuracy? Any machine that is hand-operated is no more accurate than its operator.

Dave

Comment

By accuracy I mean rules and angles on the machine are what they say, fence and blade remain parallel, table is flat, anything that should not move or wiggle does not( there is no play in anything).
      If I make 20 cuts without checking my settings are all pieces cut identical. If the settings need to be checked every 2 or 3 cuts then the machine is more trouble than necessary.
      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Having used both saws fairly extensivly I would say the Ryobi is a bit more accurate.
        Don't get me wrong, the 3612 is a good saw,I have bought two of them for my some of my crews. It travels better than the Ryobi.
        But the Ryobi rip fence is superior. And I like the sliding miter table, an expensive add on for most saws.
        Some claim that they have had to constantly adjust the Ryobi, I have not in three years of use. We have had to adjust the two 3612's and the the TS2400's we have. Now in all fairness that is likely do to the fact the Rigids travel in the back of trucks and vans while the Ryobi is at home in my shop.
        Also bear in mind the rigid is a good tool. The differnce in accuracy is small. Some would say the wood will move more than the differnce anyway.
        Just my humble opinion.

Comment

My shop is my garage, so the tools including the 3612 get moved around a lot, but not in the back of a pickup truck.

I have carefully calibrated the 3612, only twice in the almost a year that I have had it. I often make to cuts to 1/4 of the division on the rip scale, so 1/4 of 1/32 inch is 1/128 of an inch, and check the results with a digital caliper. To me that is outstanding. I haven't used the Ryobi for comparison.

I can bang a full sheet of plywood against the fence, and guarantee that the results will not be as set up. I can rip a board that isn't smooth along the fence, and produce a wiggly line. The last time I calibrated the saw was after I made a missle out of a pretty heavy hunk of wood, caught crosswise between blade and fence (I hate to admit). So I am able to get bad results from the saw, but overall it far exceeds by expectations.

But no mechanical device, nor operator, are perfect. So you now have an opinion worth 2 cents.

Comment

My ridgid ts2424 is the same way.
            Andy B.

Comment

My Craftsman, which is almost the same basic design of the table top and case, as the Ridgid (since they used to make Craftsman) is still extremely accurate after 14 years of use and abuse. It's also hard to find a better working surface for a table saw than cast iron.

Also consider, in accuracy, the size of the work surface----the 3612 is substantially larger than the Ryobi---which means you have more support for your stock---hence a better control----and from sad experience, aluminum and steel tops can warp or distort over time.

But, as was said, there is no saw that can be totally accurate all by itself. Your skill at alignment and care in checking the wood squareness are always going to be factors.
              Dave

Comment

Hard to imagine a $300 saw being more accurate than one twice it's cost...I've yet to see a test in any magazine that says that's the case. Personally, I'd stick with the Ridgid.
                Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Originally posted by KellyC:
                  Hard to imagine a $300 saw being more accurate than one twice it's cost...I've yet to see a test in any magazine that says that's the case. Personally, I'd stick with the Ridgid.
                  THAT is exactly the point ! A more accurate, more advanced saw at half the price !

As for magazine reveiws, well I haven't seen one that says the Ridgid is more accurate either...But if it makes you feel better the BT3000 originally soly for $469.00 bad in 1997.

To assume higher price confers more accuracy is wrong. A mazda Miata handles better than many cars costing twice as much as an example.

Superior design need not be more expensive.

The triple axis lock on the Ryobi Rip fence is a marvel.

The arbor/motor mount/tilt/elevation mechanism is more accurate than the contractor saws. The motor on a contractor saw hangs out the back of the saw on a long arm (lever). When the arbor is tilted for bevel cuts the trunions which hold the arbor/motor in relation to the table and fences,are put under a torque twist that can affect the accuracy of bevel or compound bevel cuts. The locker bracket design of the BT3K is not subject to this kind of twisting force. The design is similar to the one used on Delta’s 14”, 7.5 hp industrial table saw the RT-40.

I like the Ryobis 16" cross cut capacity as well.

But its a free country, spend your maoney as you see fit.

[ 05-10-2003, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: oldninefingers ]

Comment

Working...
                  X