Can you cope?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you cope?

I do a lot of trim work and was wondering if anyone has ever used a band saw or scroll saw to cope the inside corners? I do it with a coping saw and was thinking that using either a band or scroll saw might be faster.
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Like crown molding?

http://www.collinstool.com/base.php?...oping_foot.htm

Comment

Maybe a scroll saw as I think a band saw would have difficulty with the extremely tight radii of some molding cuts. The problem exists with the amount of open space you need to swing a 12' and sometimes longer baseboard to complete the cut. I guess you could put the scroll saw on a lazy susan of sorts??

Comment

Originally posted by AllanToolGuy
        This is just an idea and depending on just what you want to cut and the actual cuts, may work or it may just tear up the trim wood. If you have a jig saw and a good way to clamp the trim, try using a 14 or 18 tooth scroll blade in the jig saw. Go easy does it on some scrap and see if it works. At worst you'll have a messed up piece of scrap and the cost of the blades. If it does work out, great. can you give us more info on what type of trim you're working with and the cuts you wish to make?
        Base and crown. I do it now with a coping saw. I was just wondering if it could be done faster with a band or scroll saw.
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Ive done a rough "cope" with a jig saw to remove most of the material, and finished with a coping saw.

I agree with the previous posters........it should work OK with smaller lengths of molding, but Ive done some pretty hefty pieces (14', 16') where I think it would be almost impossible to try and swing the molding around while using a band/scroll saw.

The other choice is to just measure the angles of the room and then miter the edges of the molding (DeWalt has a good chart that gives you all of the correct angles and saw settings), but the *right* way is to cope/scroll saw it.

-Chris

Comment

A perfectly square room...not happening..

Copeing with a hand saw ,to me anyway,is faster than a scroll,jig or what ever kind of device you can come up with to use,by hand is still the best way..

Comment

About 20 years ago I was involved in a lawsuit where the other side had an expert witness who said I was negligent for, among other things, coping instead of mitering the base. Fortunately, I won the case

Comment

Originally posted by WoodWorx
                Copeing with a hand saw ,to me anyway,is faster than a scroll,jig or what ever kind of device you can come up with to use,by hand is still the best way..
                I agree with you on the 90 degree room never happening, but the chart lists the correct angles based on the angles between the walls and ceiling. The really nice Bosch digital protractor calculates everything for you after you shove the protractor in a couple areas and press a couple buttons.

Im a handyman-type woodworker, but refuse to just miter the corners I tried it in my basement and it worked OK (mostly because the walls dont really move down there because its a constant temp all year round), but I wont miter anything on our living floors.

-Chris

Comment

Copeing it...

I always cope my crown and base,some profiles will not permit copeing,but most will...

Comment

Hey Tod,
                    I was watching "this old house CLASSICS" They showed a guy using a bandsaw to cut decorative cut ends on very thick long rafters, He had his bandsaw on caster wheels, set the rafters onto 2 ladders on the steps,at the same height as the bandsaws table, then cut the fancy cuts by moving the whole bandsaw as he cut them. Looked a little odd moving the whole saw around , but it cut them that way very nicely .They were outside in the field he set plywood down as a base for the saw to sit on, he manuverd it quite easliy as he cut too. Maybe you could try that for trim?
                    good luck, be Careful.
                    Originally posted by TOD
                    I do a lot of trim work and was wondering if anyone has ever used a band saw or scroll saw to cope the inside corners? I do it with a coping saw and was thinking that using either a band or scroll saw might be faster.

Comment

I seen the same show.
                      SSG, U.S. Army
                      Retired
                      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Working...
                      X