Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crosscut sled

Hi all,
    I am wanting to make a crosscut sled for my table saw.
    I have several pieces of 1/2" and 3/4" MDF laying around.
    Most of the plans I have seen most use plywood for the base.
    Do you think the MDF would be a good choice for the base,
    or would you recommend to use the plywood?
    Kurt
    (Cool! I still have 10 fingers!)

Should work fine although it will be heavier.
    I have made jigs from MDF but I don't have a TS so no need for a sled.
    I'd make it and try it out, worst case it does not last that long and you now have experience to make the one out of Baltic plywood

Comment

He Ain`t Heavy.....

For me the MDF would be a little bulky,so for my time spent making a sled,it would be a lite one...that`s how I roll....

Comment

I agree. I think the MDF will be heavy. Here's one I made ouf of 1/2" plywood. While you're at it, make a miter sled too:

Comment

It is in the works.
          I am currently making them both from plywood.
          Kurt
          (Cool! I still have 10 fingers!)

Comment

2 pieces of 3/4 MDF face glued makes a great fence for your sled.

Comment

Originally posted by NewfGuy
              I agree. I think the MDF will be heavy. Here's one I made ouf of 1/2" plywood. While you're at it, make a miter sled too:

This looks great.. do you have the measurements or plans for these sleds?

Comment

Newf

That curly maple miter sled would have David Marks envious; that is a real beauty.

Woodslayer

Comment

The crosscut sled is 1/2" Birch plywood and measures 24" X 48" with oak fences. It also has UMHW runnuers under it. The miter sled is a piece of 1/2" Birch plywood that I found at the BORG. I made my MIL a bookcase out of it and this was a leftover piece. I don't actually know the measurements. I just went with what I had. No plans, just read about them on the various forums and dove in.

Comment

Those are a couple great looking sleds! Nice looking heavy slabs of wood on top to hang onto and to hold everything together.

Makes me want to dive right in and make a couple with some Baltic Birch plywood leftovers.

Comment

Buy some baltic birch. Wont cost that much and it will last longer.
                      Depending on how you make your sled you may use screws, screws and MDF are not a good long term plan.
                      I have a sled made with MDF and laminated with some kind of plastic. 2 parts are screwed on and the screws have loosened up because of the mdf. If it weren't for the plastic laminate this thing would not be holding together. I will be making one out of birch soon.
                      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I have to echo what Raphael said. MDF and screws just don't go together. I tried making a sled using MDF and it's just not a good choice. The runner on the right will not stay on, and the one on the left isn't what I'd call reliable.

I'll be getting some baltic birch ply for shop jigs!
                        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Finish

What would you guys recommend as a finish on the sleds?

Comment

Originally posted by DocXmas View Post
                            What would you guys recommend as a finish on the sleds?
                            Mine are finished with whatever I had laying around at the time. Probably polyeurethane. I let them dry and then put a couple of coats of paste wax on everything.

Comment

Working...
                            X