ZCI Insert for TS3650

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZCI Insert for TS3650

As the big orange box in town doesn't carry inserts for the TS3650, I decided to make my own. I rough cut a 1/2" russian birch plywood and used carpet tape to stick it to the original insert. Then I used a patternmaking bit in my router. I then cut the notch down with a coping saw.

After drilling a hole for the screw, I thought I was ready to pop it in and make my ZCI. Much to my surprise, the insert would not go down all the way. Seems the blade is only about 1/8" below the surface of the table.

As a work around, I used a 1/2" straight bit to put a 3/8" deep dado on the bottom of my insert in approximately the same place where the blade would go. The insert fit perfectly and I was able to raise the blade fully.

The question that is bugging me though, is the blade supposed to be only 1/8" below the surface of the table? Or is mine set up incorrectly? I've RTFM three times and can find no mention of it or how to adjust it if needed.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
    Matt

Your saw is setup correct. If you look at page 47 of the on line manual it gives a way to install it.
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

I use a smaller blade to start the cut so the plate will then fit flush and then switch back to the blade I will ultimately be using with the new plate.
      Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

I'm about to describe how I made my own ZCI and I see wwsmith's little notation about still having all 10 fingers. Not sure what to say.

I cut out my ZCI, lowered the sawblade to the bottom, inserted the rear part of the insert under the splitter, and turned on the saw. Holding the front of the insert steady, I lowered it into its slot. The blade engaged the wood as it slipped into place. Holding the front down, I raised the blade and cut the slot.

Comment

Yikes!!!

Way to scary for me....assume you still have all ten digits??
          Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

kbrinton, the next time you try that please make sure you're alone in the shop. I'd hate for some one else to get hit with that ZCI after it ricochets off you.
            ================================================== ====
            ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by kbrinton
              I cut out my ZCI, lowered the sawblade to the bottom, inserted the rear part of the insert under the splitter, and turned on the saw. Holding the front of the insert steady, I lowered it into its slot. The blade engaged the wood as it slipped into place. Holding the front down, I raised the blade and cut the slot.
              You are a very brave individual, you might want to rethink you method even though it has proved successful (once anyway). Not trying to sound judgmental or anything but that just sounds downright scary to me.

Good luck with your future ZCI’s

Woodslayer

Comment

All my ZCI's have been for use with the 8" dado set. I'm wondering now how I could go about making a ZCI for the regular blade. Some process that doesn't result in that ugly red color that clashes so much with the orange. Your method scares the cr*P outta me, kbrinton!!

I suppose if I start with a single blade from the dado set to start the cut, then change to the blade I want to use it'd work and be safe. I'll have to give that a try soon.
                I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

All my ZCI's have been for use with the 8" dado set. I'm wondering now how I could go about making a ZCI for the regular blade. Some process that doesn't result in that ugly red color that clashes so much with the orange. Your method scares the cr*P outta me, kbrinton!!

I suppose if I start with a single blade from the dado set to start the cut, then change to the blade I want to use it'd work and be safe. Thanks, wwsmith!!

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy
                    I suppose if I start with a single blade from the dado set to start the cut, then change to the blade I want to use it'd work and be safe. Thanks, wwsmith!!
                    Any 7 ¼ circular saw blade will work provided it has the same kerf.

Woodslayer

Comment

What I did after I cut the ZCI to size was to mount it with double sided tape to the top of my stock insert plate, clamped a 2X4 on top of that, and then raised the blade until it started to cut into the 2X. Then I lowered the blade, replaced the stock plate with the ZCI, screwed it in place and raised the blade to finish the cut. You just need to be precise when you tape the ZCI blank to the stock plate.

Comment

If you are using a router to shape the ZCI, change to a plunge bit and run it down the area where the saw blade is (bottom side) to a depth leaving about 1/16" of material. This will give you clearance for the blade when you insert it, and still give you a zero clearance cut on the top, which is all that's needed. Just another technique.

Go
                        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Good ideas, Woodslayer and Gofor!!! Now what I need is for someone to give me a brand new WWII blade and I'll test both procedures!!

Comment

It only takes a few minutes to change the blade to a smaller blade. As someone else has mentioned make sure the kerf is the same, but it does not have to be an expensive blade to cut through for theZCI. I use a 7 1/4 blade for that purpose and I also use it to make ZCI for different bevels I use. I make mine out of corian lay them in the slote and clamp my guide rail down over making sure I am out of the way of the cut.

Comment

Working...
                            X