Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you use Top Coat?

Hello all,
    I was wondering how many of you use "Top Coat" spray on your cast Iron tablesaw, and bandsaw tops to prevent rust??? Pro's are easy to think of. Are there any con's???

I look forward to your replies. Also what are your feelings Jake???
    Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

never tried it where do you get it. I have used turtlewax in the past but guy's here say if it contains silicone it may cause finishing problems later and im looking for something else I think dave arbuckle or someone mentioned furniture wax ( johnsons paste wax) or something along those lines

Comment

I've always used Johnson's paste wax. It has served me well, but I do sand it all off in the winter (and then add a new coat)to keep it from building up.

Comment

About the only thing that I can recommend to keep you table saw clean, is a good bit of elbow grease and past wax.

Jake

Comment

I have used both Top Coat and paste wax. I vot for the wax. It is definately more work but you get a really smooth low friction result. The top coat just sprays on and helps to keep the top from rusting. The wax lasts longer but you still need to re-apply either product regularly depending on how much you use the saw.

Dan

Comment

BJ,
            Just saw your post (haven't been here for awhile). I usually use Johnson's Paste Wax, but was in the lumber store and saw a can of Top Coat (sp?) and sprang for it. I'm trying it to see if it holds up. Like it so far... quick and easy. The paste works great, but you gotta put it on, wait for it to dry, buff it out. The TC is a lot faster; but jury's still out on how it holds up. Oh, yeah, it's about 100 x's more expen$ive than Johnson's, but a can is supposed to last a looong time. A can of Johnson's will prob last about 20 dog years.

Comment

Working...
            X