Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Bandsaw - yes or no

Hi All,

Up here in Canada, HD is giving us a $100 gift card back if we buy a Rigid Bandsaw. But I have seen mixed reviews on this site about the saw.

The guy who wrote the article in Wood about tuning up the 'value priced' saws seemed to think it was alright (after some his mods).

Those who have it, is it worth buyng even with some of the problems I've read about it, or are those problems rare?

Thanks,
    Frank

Hi Frank! I've had the Ridgid bandsaw for almost a year now, and have found it to be an invaluable part of the shop. I had no problems with mine from setup to repeated use. I've resawn oak with it, after purchasing an aftermarket blade. I've had no trouble with the wheels or tires. I really think it's a fine machine. I haven't done any of the "mods" that have been discussed, other than adding a Kreg fence option recently. I'm toying with adding a riser block, but so far haven't really had the need for one.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I believe I would not get it again. Whatever money (rebate) you will be getting, will be spent (and MORE!) upgrading and improving it. You can spend a little more and get a better quality/fit bandsaw elsewhere. For example, Sears has a 14 inch on sale as does Grizzly. Harbor Frieght has their 14 inch on sale for 259.00. Everbody talks about the lifetime service agreement, but in my opinion it does not warrant the aggravation of getting a balanced, vibration free saw! I have gotten 3 wheels (all out of balanced, one made in China and the last 2 in Taiwan, I assume the service centers are using up the older Ridgid stock)and my saw still has vibration. I will be bracing with the support boards as recommended in the Wood magazine. Hopefully that will help. I know everybody talks about the link belt, but I don't think they all need it. I just ran my saw without the blade (so the bottom wheel only turns) and you can set a nickel on the table and turn the machine on and out all day and it still stands, and that is with the stock belt. Ron
      Last edited by Ronald; 10-10-2006, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Bs

I really don't think that Ridgid's bandsaw is at the same level as most of their other tools. In terms of design, there have been several issues reported in this forum: the blade is very low quality, the lower door doesn't open all the way (to the point where it is almost impossible to change blades), there is significant vibration, to adjust the lower bearing shaft you need to remove the trunnion base, not all aspects of the bearing shaft are usable, the tires may come off, the wheels may be out of true or balance.

There may be other issues I don't recall at the moment. Most are easy fixes, but in total I think that it shows a lack of design and quality control.

I own a Ridgid bandsaw and would not recommend one.

Chris

Comment

Hi FSK,
          I just purchased the Ridgid Band Saw had problems with it returned one from damage in handling, the second one also had some damage, sad Ridgid allows HD to mishandle there tools. But I guess there filling Ridgids pockets with quick sales ? Mine has vibration lots of it , I still need to try the WOOD magazine tune up stuff , I added Olson "Cool Blocks", I purchased the Rockler Band Saw Table and Fence today.$99.00 on sale(nothing to do with the saws performance mind you, just thought it will add to any band saw, even if I decide to return the saw and buy another Brand, not sure yet on that.) I also picked up the, Olson- Band Saw/Scroll Saw Blade Tuning Stone $12.99, I bought the "Mastering Your Bandsaw" DVD $19.99 from Rockler too ,Mark Duginski used the stone on the back of the blade ( havent noticed anyone mention using one here , but I didnt do a search either.)He uses 3 or 4 Bandsaws in the DVD, guess i'll try his suggestions and WOOD magazines ,he dont use a Ridgid on the DVD tho . got mine for 349.99 minus 10% lets face it, it is a cheap Bandsaw thats all thats to it . Yes it would be NICE if Ridgid had BETTER quality control and Design, jeez they could'nt put a belt on that was an inch or two longer so the botton door opens fully?( it hits on the Motor) that's a pain in the A$$ but you can change the blade as it is, just a poor design they should get a longer belt on it tho.The plastic guard on the back side is just dumb you have to remove it to change blades and the door not fully opening hinders access to the lower screw on it , I believe I have seen those guards on other Bansaws (Delta)that are actually two pieces or slotted and don't even have to be removed at all to change the blade.Just common sence as I bet some will start not putting it back on after awhile. If I keep it i'll design one thats like the Delta's design much more functional, user friendly.Will drilling divits in the wheels yourself VOID the warranty? I don't know but the guy at HD warned me that they'll try to get out of warranty work if you dont register it properly ( register it and SAVE reciepts scan and copy them to burn to a CD I suggest as reciepts these days seem to have disappearing ink anyone notice that besides me?)You should'nt have to start drilling divits in a brand new tool I think . I'll call customer service and also ask for new wheels to calm the vibration , THEN try the divit thing MAYBE, closest service center is about an hours drive so taking it in for them to balance the wheels would be another pain in the A$$ , i'm sure there not gonna drop everything to do it while I waited so your talking two trips(and the WAIT!) for something that SHOULD be done properly at the factory to begin with. Is it really cost effective for them to keep having to send out 2,3 or even 4 sets of wheels? But like I stated, it's a cheap,or inexpensive bandsaw, if you get a bad one are you willing to tinker around with it to get it up to speed or not? Only you can answer that.If you get Lucky and get one thats good to go out of the box it's a good deal if not, be prepared to do what I would consider MAJOR tuneup work like drilling divit holes in the wheels to get them balanced. I'm still debating whether to keep mine or not, it might just be worth spending the extra money on a JET or Delta, and hopefully not have to do all that extra work, and expense. I'm gonna try a few more things, Least expensive first, then decide.
          Last edited by American and Proud; 10-12-2006, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by American and Proud
            I just purchased the Ridgid Band Saw had problems with it returned one from damage in handling, the second one also had some damage, sad Ridgid allows HD to mishandle there tools. But I guess there filling Ridgids pockets with quick sales ? Mine has vibration lots of it , I still need to try the WOOD magazine tune up stuff , I added Olson "Cool Blocks", I purchased the Rockler Band Saw Table and Fence today.$99.00 on sale(nothing to do with the saws performance mind you, just thought it will add to any band saw, even if I decide to return the saw and buy another Brand, not sure yet on that.) I also picked up the, Olson- Band Saw/Scroll Saw Blade Tuning Stone $12.99, I bought the "Mastering Your Bandsaw" DVD $19.99 from Rockler too ,Mark Duginski used the stone on the back of the blade ( havent noticed anyone mention using one here , but I didnt do a search either.)He uses 3 or 4 Bandsaws in the DVD, guess i'll try his suggestions and WOOD magazines ,he dont use a Ridgid on the DVD tho . got mine for 349.99 minus 10% lets face it, it is a cheap Bandsaw thats all thats to it . Yes it would be NICE if Ridgid had BETTER quality control and Design, jeez they could'nt put a belt on that was an inch or two longer so the botton door opens fully?( it hits on the Motor) that's a pain in the A$$ but you can change the blade as it is, just a poor design they should get a longer belt on it tho.The plastic guard on the back side is just dumb you have to remove it to change blades and the door not fully opening hinders access to the lower screw on it , I believe I have seen those guards on other Bansaws (Delta)that are actually two pieces or slotted and don't even have to be removed at all to change the blade.Just common sence as I bet some will start not putting it back on after awhile. If I keep it i'll design one thats like the Delta's design much more functional, user friendly.Will drilling divits in the wheels yourself VOID the warranty? I don't know but the guy at HD warned me that they'll try to get out of warranty work if you dont register it properly ( register it and SAVE reciepts scan and copy them to burn to a CD I suggest as reciepts these days seem to have disappearing ink anyone notice that besides me?)You should'nt have to start drilling divits in a brand new tool I think . I'll call customer service and also ask for new wheels to calm the vibration , THEN try the divit thing MAYBE, closest service center is about an hours drive so taking it in for them to balance the wheels would be another pain in the A$$ , i'm sure there not gonna drop everything to do it while I waited so your talking two trips(and the WAIT!) for something that SHOULD be done properly at the factory to begin with. Is it really cost effective for them to keep having to send out 2,3 or even 4 sets of wheels? But like I stated, it's a cheap,or inexpensive bandsaw, if you get a bad one are you willing to tinker around with it to get it up to speed or not? Only you can answer that.If you get Lucky and get one thats good to go out of the box it's a good deal if not, be prepared to do what I would consider MAJOR tuneup work like drilling divit holes in the wheels to get them balanced. I'm still debating whether to keep mine or not, it might just be worth spending the extra money on a JET or Delta, and hopefully not have to do all that extra work, and expense. I'm gonna try a few more things, Least expensive first, then decide.
            I’m not an expert, but I went through this same decision about 6-months ago. I have only used 4 band saw in my life; a 20 yr old 12in Craftsmen, a Delta 14in X5, Ridgid and my current band saw which is a Grizzly G0555. The Delta X5 I used when a took some wood working classes and it’s a great saw. I would have bought one if they were not so expensive. My brother-in-law has the Ridgid and it’s an ok saw. I really wanted to buy the Ridgid because the price was right. I have a Ridgid TS and Jointer and think they make a good product at a good price. I think they missed the mark slightly on the band saw.

The way I looked at it was; Even if I purchased the saw in the low $300’s, buy a fence ($99), cool blocks ($14) and add tax ($20) I was over $400. For $395 + $70 for shipping I bought a Grizzly 14” G0555. Saw comes with a 1hp motor, a nice fence system and roller bearing guides. Plus Grizzly included a ½” Timber Wolf Blade in additional to the included 3/8” blade. The saw was near perfect out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald
              I believe I would not get it again. Whatever money (rebate) you will be getting, will be spent (and MORE!) upgrading and improving it. You can spend a little more and get a better quality/fit bandsaw elsewhere. For example, Sears has a 14 inch on sale as does Grizzly. Harbor Frieght has their 14 inch on sale for 259.00. Everbody talks about the lifetime service agreement, but in my opinion it does not warrant the aggravation of getting a balanced, vibration free saw! I have gotten 3 wheels (all out of balanced, one made in China and the last 2 in Taiwan...

Ron,

My BS14002 came with the import wheels. It vibrated like heck too. The free replacements they sent me were from Emerson. The name was cast into the wheel. They made a big difference. I didn't ask for them. I just got lucky.

I spent months on getting rid of the vibration. The typical things did not work for me: replace blade, balance wheels, change to link belt, truing the tires, replacing the tires, make sure it is tuned properly, etc...

I invested lots of time and some money was unnecessarily spent.

What did seem to make the greatest difference was replacing the wheels and putting a 1/2" piece of plywood between the saw/motor and stand.

When I bought the saw I think I paid $300. I can't remember anymore. I bought the riser and the OEM fence for $35 each. I like the fence. I know it is not as good as the Kreg, but I got a good price and it has worked well for me. Its major lacking is the inabbility to accept jigs well. I believe the Kreg has T-slots in it whereas the OEM version is just flat.

Oh yeah, the lower door doesn't open all the way and dust collection stinks.

I would recommend you take a look at this and start asking some questions about it: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5217

It is a new company but I have heard some good things. It has a larger table, enclosed base, two speeds, two dust ports, and is 1hp. I think you would be stuck with a 6" throat though. I think it is a rare need to go above that. It depends on what you are doing. I bought the riser block for mine because it was such a good deal. I haven't done anything over 5" though. The rigid will struggle over 6" unless all conditions are perfect.
              Last edited by woodypa; 10-12-2006, 05:45 AM.

Comment

It's a no

Thanks for all the replies. The rebate thing ended yesterday, so I went to HD and looked at the BS. If it had the Emerson wheels on it, I probably would have taken it, but it didn't, so I didn't.

I told the sales associate all the problems that it had, but he just waited until my lips stopped moving and then contiued with his sales pitch. Not sure if any of it sunk in. I also told him about this forum.

I guess I'll watch to see if the Ridgid BS shows some signs of improvement and wait for the next opportunity to get a BS.

Thanks,
                Frank

Comment

Working...
                X