ShortCuts (MDF)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ShortCuts (MDF)

I was down in my shop the other day (instead of at the computer for a change) working with a piece of 1/4" MDF when I got to thinking. Well, most of you know what happens then. My thinking becomes a topic for ShortCuts. I did a little research and the results may interest you.
    Black & Decker have just released an new and innovative way of measuring the width or length of sheet goods. Very interesting, take a look.

Graham McCulloch
    http://www.shortcuts.ns.ca

I took a quick look at this ShortCuts website, and I have to say...
    120 tool tests in 2005, and not one tested product received less than 4 out of 5 stars, with mfg's like, Black and Decker, Skil, and Ryobi on the list I find that hard to believe. There's got to be some average tools out there, right?

Comment

ShortCuts Tool Test Ratings

There are lot's of ***, ** & * tools out there but I don't have the time or the space to revue them. If a manufacturer sends me a tool to test and revue and it does'nt get (in my opinion) at least four stars, I advise the company and don't revue it.
      I'm sure that as readers you would not be interested in junk.

Graham

Comment

thats not reviewing-IMO

Sorry to say it, But, then those reviews are CR*P. What, you give high marks to the companies that let you KEEP the tools? That is NOT a review, thats putting up a web site to fill your shop. If your going to "review" tools you do it with the good AND bad, and you post the BAD tools also , or you do a disservice to all reviewers. Based on your own statements about how you "review"(NOT including the BAD)That isnt reviewing thats, Sucking up to the companies you can get to send you a tool. Your NOT very professional.And from the list I saw not very good at it. I wouldnt put any trust in any of your so called "reviews".IMHO.
        Originally posted by Graham
        There are lot's of ***, ** & * tools out there but I don't have the time or the space to revue them. If a manufacturer sends me a tool to test and revue and it does'nt get (in my opinion) at least four stars, I advise the company and don't revue it.
        I'm sure that as readers you would not be interested in junk.

Graham

Comment

ShortCuts Tool Tests

To CMW, no offense taken, that's your opinion that may or may not be shared.
          To A&P, apparently you are not too sorry. You have your opinion and I mine. That's what mwkes this world go around.

Comment

Bad Reviews are Valuable Too

Graham,

Appreciate your efforts to increase the collective knowledge.

"I'm sure that as readers you would not be interested in junk."

You are absolutely correct. However, if you never review the junk, how will we know which tools are junk, and therefore avoid buying them? If we are considering the purchase of a particular tool and you have not published a review of it, how do we know whether you A) tested it and found it to be junk or B) have never touched the tool.

If you test a tool that's a piece of cr@p, we'd love to hear about it so we can avoid buying cr@p tools.

Thanks!
            Jon
            Still able to count to 21....

Comment

Tool Tests

Jon, thanks for that and I agree that it would be valuable information. However, having limited shop space, limited funds and limited technical resources it becomes a problem to try and test everything. I have to use my discretion as to the products that I test. Over the more than 11 years of writing ShortCuts there have only been a few tools that have been rated below the four stars. If any real JUNK tools come my way and I have space, I will let you all know.

Graham McCulloch

Comment

Thanks for the info, Graham. I appreciate that it's hard to find the time and resources to test everything.

I was wondering if you take suggestions? If you do, I'd like to see a review of the Grr-Ripper system from Micro-jigs. It's something I've been curious about for a while. I've seen other reviews of it, but they all seem to be somewhat biased towards Micro-Jigs corp.
                I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
                X