Another boring tablesaw purchase discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TerryV6:
    Well, I did register for the coupon. This is the first time I have decided to move <G> just to get a discount..

Terry

But to make the move a new #0 at end of address of new place works too
    Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

Terry, I also own the TS3650 and am happy with my choice. I researched saws for awhile(had an old craftsman that finally quit). I considered sears in my search and know the saw you looked at. The qaulity vs. price is not there! The fence is poor design as others have stated, there caster system not great, just try a properly set up herc-u-lift,
      then sears? Sears uses open motors not best choice for hanging off back of saw they eat alot of dust. Along with other details that did'nt impress me. That stated, as mentioned money aside there are some other good saws out there PM64, General, with Bies style fence but When I purchased these were several hundered over ridgid w/discount. One choice not mentioned is the new Grizzly 0444, 0444z, I beleive around $500-$600 delivered. I beleive on woodnet forum there was a good dicussion on this saw and sounded pretty impresive. You can also see it on grizz site.
      If I was doing over would shure consider the Grizzly. More for your brain to feed on If like most this saw will be long term purchase so get what will serve you best for many years, Rick.

Comment

Rick :

Above I think you will find just a tiny reference to the Grizzly 0444. I think it may be hard to locate as Cranky is bashful!

The Grizzly has been reviewed here by Cranky in a seperate area titled something like "Impressive Tablesaw" or similar heading.

My beliefs happen to now coincide with his - I would be very inclined to put the Grizzly 0444z at the top of the list to consider, along with the GI and possibly the Bridgewood. I feel the referenced 3 above are to me the best on market. Understand - my opinion and others may feel different.

The Rigid is a good value saw when on sale or if you can get the discounts many have and I do prefer it to similar priced Delta and Jet models if this discount can be obtained.

It remains a decision you need to make and not myself. Each should serve you well regardless. And I emphasize the "well" [img]smile.gif[/img]

And we do not find this "boring" - discussion and opinions are a great thing

[ 03-02-2004, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: ChipMaker ]

Comment

The "boring" reference was done tongue firmly planted in cheek.. I notice a lot of "what kind of saw to buy" questions here though....

Terry

[ 03-02-2004, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: TerryV6 ]

Comment

Terry,

I have the Delta 36-650 and I love it. I was able to work a deal at the place that I got mine and exchanged the stock fence for a Bies. clone (with 55" rails) for $100. The 1 1/2HP motor works better than my old 2HP saw. All in all a great saw FOR THE PRICE. I'm sure the Ridgid stands up well too, and I probably would have seriously considered it if it had been available at the time I bought this one, but I'm very happy with my choice. (Beware that the Delta calls for a 20amp circuit (at 110V) and that it uses every bit of it...may want to go to a 25 amp circuit or 15 amp @ 220V)

Comment

So, here is a question to throw at ya. I have a 15 amp breaker to the garage with 14 gauge wire. Would this be adequate for the Ridgid TS?

Terry

Comment

Have a look at this thread, look under wbrooks for calculations on line loss for 14 gauge wire, Also good test done by murphyr on 110 and 220 comparison
                110v discussion

Comment

Terry, I think a 110v-15amp would be on the light side as the motor is rated 13amp 110/ 6.5amp 220v.
                  I ran 110v 20amp w/12 gauge wire and I think this would have been fine as the saw ran ok. But I had the advantage to change it over to 220v 20amp w/10 gauge wire and feel the saw runs a little better. Follow link posted above you will see more on what I did and others opinions. Min. I think would be the 110-20amp and any cords to saw heavy enough. Better to have more amp/volt than to starve motor as it will shorten motor life.
                  Again do some searches this was discussed here a bit. Good luck, Rick.

Comment

Just to throw a monkey wrench in the works, I got a new "Crapsman" catalog yesterday. They have 3 new table saws coming out May 1. They look VERY INTERESTING. The cheapest 2 ($550 & $600) are what they call 3/4 cabinet style. The motor appears to be on the right side in a box similar to the Grizzly cabinet saws. The fence looks at least as good as the 3650's. The $600 saw has cast iron extensions, 24 left/ 25 right capacity and a fancy miter guage extension and fence extension. The sweet deal is the $850 model. Its a full cabinet design with a fence from that "B" word company, a cast iron OUTFEED extension, and 18 left / 30 right. After Craftsman club 10% and 10% for using a sears card, you're looking at under $700 for a full cabinet saw. Oh yea, the thing weighs 378 lbs! Can't wait to see it. Anyone want to buy a slightly used 3650?

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what is your asking price. And how long have you owned the 3650. Thanks.

Comment

Jerry R

Was joking about unloading the 3650, but since you ask ...
                        IF you wanted to wait till Sears gets the new saws in, and IF the Craftsman is as good as it looks, and IF you were willing to pay me the $500 with tax I paid during the 20% off sale last December - it could happen. Can you tell I still like my 3650?

Comment

Hi terry - Sorry for being so late getting into this discussion, but wanted to emphasize the importance of a good fence. The lower price range of the saws in this discussion put you too close to a better caliber saw to not put in a plug for them.

The fence on the 3650 is a better than the Craftsman and a bit better than the Delta 36-650's. Even the though the Delta's fence is a t-type, it's made of aluminum and has a fair amount of flex to it. The 3650's fence is aluminum also, but has thicker material. Being a dual locking mechanism (front and rear), means that it locks down tight, but it needs to be square in two places in order to lock down parallel with the blade. This type fence is more prone to racking than the t-types and can be locked down out of parallel. I also have reservations about the plastic handle and other parts on the fence. A steel t-fence design (like the Biesemeyer types), once adjusted parallel, will lock down parallel every time without fail. These fences are found on the two Grizzly's, the GI, Bridgewood, and Woodtek that are all in your price range. They're also found on the better Deltas, Jet, PM, and on most expensive cabinet saws.

A good blade combined with well adjusted fence will result in a good performing TS. I'd recommend going to a nice wwing store, just to look at some of the better machines as a reference.

Good luck.

Comment

Go to HD on the last day of the month and talk to the tool crib manager, show him the price of the Craftsmen. My guess is he will drop the price on your saw.
                            Bob Sr.<br />Father of Bob-the-Builder

Comment

Is this a hard decision or what.
                              1.Craftsman has some new nice looking saws at 10% off till June 13.Nice one for 539.00. Looks like a Dewalt.
                              2.The Griz. 444 must be a great saw.(503.00 del)
                              3.A lot of really good fences out there now.See Woodworkers Journal.The latest issue.
                              4.The Delta,Craftsman,444 all have steel extensions The Ridgid is Cast.
                              5.The Delta has a rumor out about motor problems.Check for yourself.
                              my pick would be hard between three of them.
                              a Ridgid Solid,lots of features,warranty
                              b Grizzly perhaps more solid less features
                              c Sears new heavy duty untested design(new factor can be plus or minus)
                              d Delta Great name Quality could be slipping

Comment

I like you have an old(1980)Sears TS. A couple of years ago I considered buying new and started shopping around. To make a long story short I still have the Sears. I upgraded the fence to a new Ridgid; replaced the regular v-belt and pulleys with the polly v-belt; enclosed the back and installed a dust collection port. These upgrades were possible because Emerson manufactured for Sears. The money I saved enabled me to by a new drill press with accessories. I hope I do not have to make a decision like you for a couple more years. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X