X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dowel vs glue only

I will be building a 5'x5' table out of 2x4's. Any comments about the need for dowles vs. using glue (Tightbond III) only. It will have a 2 1/2' leaf also. Thanks.

Go gators

Not exactly sure what you are asking. If you are talking about the top only you can use dowels or biscuits. If you are talking about the whole table you will need more than just glue.
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Depends on objective

Originally posted by gatorguy
      I will be building a 5'x5' table out of 2x4's. Any comments about the need for dowles vs. using glue (Tightbond III) only. It will have a 2 1/2' leaf also. Thanks.

Go gators
      If I understand the question, the dowels/biscuits would be for aligning the glued pieces to each other. But as far as strength of the top goes, just glue would do the trick.

Comment

Sorry I wasn't clear. My question was about gluing up the table top, and am mostly concerned with strength of the joints.

Comment

If you have a good flat clean parallel surface on the joints, the glue joint (titebond or equal) will be as strong or stronger than the wood itself as long as you don't starve the joint, but do clamp it hard enough to squeeze out the excess.
          When you use a common term like "2x4", I tend to think you are using a stock lumber like pine. If so, you will need to joint the factory edges to get a strong glue joint. If the surface of the boards are flat (run thru a planer), you can also get by with a good quality fine-toothed blade in the table saw (one that gives a "glue line" face on the cut) . If you are planning on using a plane to finish the top, you want all the boards to have the grain running the same direction to prevent tear-out.
          Making a 5 x 5 table top is no easy task. Good luck and take pics for us when you get it done

Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

My advise is that biskets are easy to install and they increase the glue area on the joint. As stated above the glues currently available will be stronger than the original wood if the joint is prepared and glued correctly. The biskets will add strength, make the joint easlier to align during the clamping, and maybe give you piece of mind that the joint is secure.
            JC

Comment

Working...
            X