Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone see sawstop fail recently in IOWA at the show?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone see sawstop fail recently in IOWA at the show?

I have only heard second hand, so did anyone actually see the hotdog get cut in half?

Haven't heard about that. Did you see it on another BB?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave
      Haven't heard about that. Did you see it on another BB?
      Dave

Check out the thread on Woodnet

Woodslayer

Comment

I havent seen it in person, but I did see it demo'ed on TV. Really amazing, hot dog barely had a nick on it. I wouldn't feel comfortable trying it, but judging by the hot dog, if you hit your finger, it may not even be deep enough to draw blood, just put on a small band-aid and back to work.

Comment

My buddy says it cut the hot dog in half and the saw kept going

if it didn't work just one time, what is the limit $$$ one could get?

Comment

Thats what is wrong with people today. A company makes a product that is head and shoulders safer than anything else in the history of powered saws, and when it doesn't work 100% of the time, people think the mfg should be responsible for the user's mistake. Lets remember, the device is only used when the operator screws up!

Even if it only works 50% of the time, that's 50% less injuries than there would have been with any other saw on the market.

Comment

Originally posted by ss_123
              Thats what is wrong with people today. A company makes a product that is head and shoulders safer than anything else in the history of powered saws, and when it doesn't work 100% of the time, people think the mfg should be responsible for the user's mistake. Lets remember, the device is only used when the operator screws up!

Even if it only works 50% of the time, that's 50% less injuries than there would have been with any other saw on the market.
              I like your way of thinking ss and couldn't agree with you more. Nobody wants to take responsibility anymore for their own mistakes. It's way to easy to blame it on someone else. Sad part is, most of the time they get away with it.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I saw a little video demonstration of sawstop while visiting a website the other day. Not knowing what sawstop was all about I about jumped out of my chair when the safety feature was triggered by the hot dog....

Comment

Originally posted by donutboy
                  I have only heard second hand, so did anyone actually see the hotdog get cut in half?
                  I google searched, and essentially came up only with donutboy's remark on this very forum page.
                  I also ahd been reading the Woodnet thread, but it is 14 pages long now. I did not read anything there while I was keeping up with it about this failure, so if someone can put a citation to the proper page, I would like to read myself and see if there is any truth to this new rumor.

Comment

I missed the first time you guys posted info about the sawstop. Really cool technology. I am curious to know if it did fail at the show?

Another thing. I wonder how often this thing missfiers. A new blade and break system and probably cost a third of the saw. In perspective though not loosing a finger is worth 10 tables saws.

Very cool idea. Hope it works and becomes standard. Table saws still make me nervous. Which is a good thing I guess.

Josh

Comment

I think I read that a new brake cartridge runs about $80 or $90. I think that the blade may or may not need to be replaced.

It is a good concept. Eventually I think it, or other systems like it will be the standard. I can see how a school board would look really bad if they decided not to buy one and then there was an accident. There is no reason not to buy one other than cost and sole-source supply.

Comment

(The brake includes a heavy-duty spring to push a block of aluminum, called a brake pawl, into the teeth of the blade to stop the blade from spinning. The spring is held in compression by a fuse wire until contact is detected. When contact is detected, the system sends a surge of electricity through the fuse wire to burn the wire and release the spring. The spring pushes the brake pawl into the teeth of the spinning blade, and the teeth cut into the aluminum and bind, thereby stopping the blade. All this happens in about 3–5 milliseconds) = BLADE TOAST

Even if it looks ok I would not trust the carbide welds after a shock like that

Comment

From the demo video, it seems they assume the mechanism and blade to be toast and made it easy to replace the aluminum brake assembly. I can't tell just how much of it they replace, but it seems to be a fairly simple deal to replace.

From where I sit, this is a major advancement. I still, like Josh, approach the table saw with a bit of trepidation. I hope I never lose that. Concentrating on the job at hand, and not letting distractions take your focus from your task seem to be the best way to avoid the worst injuries.
                          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Its there somewhere in that thread. Apparently it was a vendor demo-ing it.

The brake is about $80 and of course you have to replace the blade too. The brake does have a bypass for wet wood and conductive metals like aluminum.

SawStop is the best TS out there and the saftey feature intrigued me as something that MIGHT be worth the extra $1K with the thought of teaching my sons about woodworking when the time comes.

...BUT, unfortunately SawStop's inventor/founder has decided to play a game I will have no part of. Anyone who wants to strongarm the consumer and other manufacturers through backdoor political bull puckey can say goodbye to my dollars.

The only way the feature will "catch on" is if the rest of the industry is forced to pony up the 8% royalty on every sale that SawStop's founder is trying make them pay. And forget about developing your own technology - this guy's taken out a bunch of patents on the idea that will land them in court if they develop anything on thier own. Since everyone said no to him he went to Uncle Sam - and tried/is trying to have a mandate created that will force everyone in the industry to buy his technology.

So 8% - plus the technology and hardware to develop and produce - if he gets his way everyone is gonna be paying a lot more for a saw.

Do a search for SawStop on the Washington Post - there's a big article somewhere there.
                            Last edited by bretwalda; 10-23-2006, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Lets see now the inventor, invented it ,did all the work , and actually has a damn GOOD product out on the market, better than most, and could save your fingers and or hand, but does not deserve a royalty for HIS patent? Oh PLEASE! I have been WANTING this saw for 2 years now, it is just a tiny bit out of my reach tho, as soon as it comes down in price I will grab one as fast as I can. Over the years I have had accidents that involved my fingers hand or arm, it's not fun let me tell ya , biggest one was from a 4 inch wide scraper blade, not even a power tool , screw stripped and in a milli second I had severd tendons. Surgeries to grapht them back, arm will never be the same.This device on other saws would add about $100.00 to the saws costs. That is CHEAP compared to losing a finger, or hand. I say let them make there money, other tablesaw manufactures should be ASHAMED of themselves for NOT including this type device on there saws.I thought I read the aluminum block was $60.00 to replace, I could be wrong, but lets say it is $100.00 to replace and you had a $200.00 blade installed , your fingers or hand are not worth $300.00 to you ?( If you ever do have an accident on the job or anyplace dont you dare even think about suing for any monetary sum.) Remember they are allowing any company that chooses to make there saws safer , use there patent, sure maybe not for free, but would you or anyone invent something then just give it away free? They have the investments made in it and deserve compensation for it I believe. As time goes on if other companies use it the price will drop, heck the first VCR's that my parents bought was over $800.00, now there as low as 20 bucks, same with DVD players can be had as low as $29.00 daily no sale even needed. Tablesaw accidents occure Thousands of times a year. Suing if it fails, I say NO . You must STILL respect any machine, as anything can fail, but if it saves your finger, once your heart stops pounding out of your chest , you'll be damn glad you spent that extra money and will happily replace the brake and blade , enjoying the fact that you still can . No i'm NOT affiliated with Sawstop in ANY way, I just feel it's time has come , and should have LONG ago. ALL tablesaws should include this feature or at the very LEAST offer it as an option to start.They are developing one for a Bandsaw and a Mitersaw and a Contractors Saw for about $699.00,( because no one else in the industry would.) Sawstop that is.It is a SAFETY feature thats time has come. IMHO I can't wait to OWN one myself.
                              Originally posted by bretwalda View Post
                              Its there somewhere in that thread. Apparently it was a vendor demo-ing it.

The brake is about $80 and of course you have to replace the blade too. The brake does have a bypass for wet wood and conductive metals like aluminum.

SawStop is the best TS out there and the saftey feature intrigued me as something that MIGHT be worth the extra $1K with the thought of teaching my sons about woodworking when the time comes.

...BUT, unfortunately SawStop's inventor/founder has decided to play a game I will have no part of. Anyone who wants to strongarm the consumer and other manufacturers through backdoor political bull puckey can say goodbye to my dollars.

The only way the feature will "catch on" is if the rest of the industry is forced to pony up the 8% royalty on every sale that SawStop's founder is trying make them pay. And forget about developing your own technology - this guy's taken out a bunch of patents on the idea that will land them in court if they develop anything on thier own. Since everyone said no to him he went to Uncle Sam - and tried/is trying to have a mandate created that will force everyone in the industry to buy his technology.

So 8% - plus the technology and hardware to develop and produce - if he gets his way everyone is gonna be paying a lot more for a saw.

Do a search for SawStop on the Washington Post - there's a big article somewhere there.

Comment

Working...
                              X