X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS 3650 vibration

I just bought a used TS3650. The motor vibrates some - even with the belt off and under no load. Is this normal? If not, what could be causing it and what can I do about it? The bearings seem in good shape, the shaft is straight, no sawdust or any other debris in it. The saw works fine other than for the small amount of vibration (more than I would expect from an electric motor). Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Jim.

I'm sure you already have but just in case, check the bolts that mount the motor to the mounting plate and make sure they are tight. The 3650 should have very little to zero vibration and should pass the nickel test easily.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave
      I'm sure you already have but just in case, check the bolts that mount the motor to the mounting plate and make sure they are tight. The 3650 should have very little to zero vibration and should pass the nickel test easily.
      Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the are tight. This evening though I noticed something new, the lights a blinking very rapidly when the motor is running. It's almost imperceptible, but when you look up you can definitely see it, and it goes away when I turn the saw off. Do these motors have brushes that need to be changed occasionally? And if so, can I do it or do I have to take it to a repair station?

Jim.

Comment

Anybody have any suggestions? Please?

Comment

What I know about electrical stuff can be put in a thimball so please don't assume that I know what I'm talking about. I don't know if the Ridgid motor even has one but if it does, maybe you have a bad run capacitor.

I'd post your question at the Electrical forum and see if one of those guys can't answer your question.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks, I plugged it into a dedicated 20 amp circuit and the lights no longer flash. The motor only vibrates when it is running. I can still stand a nickel on edge anywhere on the tablesaw and it stays put, but the vibration is enough to be disconcerting to me. The pulley has no wobble whatsoever. I noticed that the blade guard and the insert are both rattling when the motor is on, maybe that makes it sound worse than it is. I'm new to this saw, so I don't know what "normal" is.

Thanks for the help.

Jim
            Last edited by Pops; 10-19-2006, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

The first thing I checked was the wiring, and it looks fine. The motor makes a bit of a hum, but not loud. No other unusual noises. The vibration stops as soon as the power is cut. It seems to cut just fine, so maybe I'm just being a little paranoid about a "used" saw. Thanks for the tips.

Jim.

Comment

I have been checking the "tuning" and it all seems fine. I haven't really done much cutting with it because I need to get a 4" to 2 1/2" adapter for the dust collector. I did find that the casters on the Herculift were loose, and that probably added to some of the rattling noise when running it. It keeps getting smoother the more things I tighten up. Thanks for the help. I'll post again when I get it hooked up and do some serious "sawdust makin".

Jim.

Comment

Working...
                X