X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too many Ridgid tools?

I currently have the MS1250, the TS3650, the R2611 (6" obital sander), and a 6 gallon wet/dry vac/blower - all from Ridgid. The TS and MS were gifts (my parents love me ) after my consultation.

I recently bought a bunch of rough Ash (160 bf) and hard Maple (150 bf) at auction ($1.50/bf for Ash, $1.30/bf for the Maple - no bark - how'd I do BTW?). I am looking to make a couple nightstands out of the maple, but I digress.

I need a jointer and planer. I've read many reviews, lots of posts here and in other forums, and I'm leaning towards Ridgid's version of both.

I'm a little leary though of having all my major tools from Ridgid - too many eggs in one basket and all that.

Aside from potentially applying for a Ridgid loyal customer award (jk), I don't see any particular downfalls or advantages to having all the tools Ridgid.

Am I missing something? Thanks.
    Last edited by Mad Lou; 10-19-2006, 04:40 PM.

I'm not sure if "having all your eggs in one basket" is really applicable to one brand of tools or another. I don't think any particular brand would issue a recall on all their tools or in some way have them all fail. Biggest problem would be that if they went out of business and left no channel for service or parts. I don't think that is going to happen with Ridgid or TTI.

Best approach to tools, from my perspective, is to buy what you need or want and do your homework. Don't buy because of brand, unless there is some distinct reason for doing so. Even with Ridgid's LLSA, a tool that receives a lot of complaints probably isn't going to be a good buy. I'm not away of any particular tool that is on everyone's bad list.

So, it sounds like you've done your homework, so go from there.

CWS

Comment

As far as the two tools you're talking about, jointer and planer, I don't think you'll regret going with Ridgid for both. Both consistently get high marks from people that have them and even the magazines seem to like both. Are there better 6" jointers and benchtop planers available, sure there are but you'll pay a lot more for those.

Two factors usually come into play when making a tool purchase, level of quality desired and money available. Personally, I tend to favor the quality desired factor more so than the money available factor. After doing my homework and deciding what tool is best for my needs I either buy it or save up for it until there is enough money available.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Too Many Ridgid Tools?

Badger Dave,
        I'm a firm believer in buying the best tool s you can afford. They'll last longer and typically perform better.

What would you recommend? To an extent, I'm flexible with cost. I'm not interested in a $2000 jointer and $2000 planer, but $100 or so more for each is definitely within consideration.
        Thanks.

Comment

ML, if you search for it on this forum, I know Ive read some comparisons of the Ridgid and DeWalt planers. It looked like the DeWalt won out for not that much difference in price.

Comment

just out of curiosity, why is the Ridgid Jointer so low? At 6'2, it is not the handiest height.

Are other brands relatively the same height?

Comment

When I bought the Ridgid, the Dewalt was $150 more and you still had to buy the essential infeed and outfeed tables and either buy or build a stand for it. The Ridgid comes with both. I have not used the Dewalt, but I could not wish for a better finish than the Ridgid produces. I have run hundreds of feet of white oak, red oak, cherry and walnut through it. Before and after knife replacement, the consisteny of thickness is always within .003" or so across the whole board with no snipe. I doubt if the Dewalt would do any better. One feature of which I am aware that is superior on the Dewalt is dust collection. It has a built in blower feature which is reported to work very well. I have good dust collection system so that is not important to me. I have also heard that knife changing is easier on the Dewalt, but the knives on the Ridgid can be replaced in 10 minutes or less after you do it the first time.

My shop is full of orange tools and I have yet to be disappointed in any of them. I have many Dewalt power tools and they are excellent too. I can't say the same about my Craftsman, Delta or Ryobi tools.

Comment

I just recently purchased both of the tools you are looking at and I have no complaints. You can't beat the life time warranty. I have run some rough pine through and it comes out really nice. I hook it up to my Rigid wet/dry vac and it takes all the shavings and works like a charm. The jointer is nice to, but the dust and shaving collection is not good, the port is too big for my hose on the vac.

Does anyone else have a suggestion on the best way to collext the shavings and dust from the jointer???

Kevin Smith
                Kevin

"SABOT ON!"

Comment

Originally posted by kevin smith
                  .........Does anyone else have a suggestion on the best way to collext the shavings and dust from the jointer???
                  How about a broom and a dust pan or one of these.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by CheekyMonkeyWrench
                    just out of curiosity, why is the Ridgid Jointer so low? At 6'2, it is not the handiest height.

Are other brands relatively the same height?
                    Most jointers are a couple of inches higher, and many are about an inch longer. (ie: Grizzly, Sunhill, Craftsman, GI, Jet, Bridgewood, Yorkcraft)

Comment

Lou,
                      Check my avatar, no fear here.

Now that my BS is back up and running again there are NO complaints. My JP was dead nuts right out of the box and only the fence had to be adjusted for square. The TP needed some tweaking of the infeed & outfeed to correct the snipe but I've been quite happy with all of the Ridgid line.

Comment

I was very leary of the Ridgid tool line myself, but have come to appreciate the quality and the value. And it's hard to over look the lifetime warranty.
                        I purchased the TS3650, R2930, R2500, and the R250AFA and have had no problems at all!!!
                        Everyone thinks there problems are more important than yours!

Comment

I guess that I could be a Ridgid poster boy, having the table saw, large compound mitre saw, band saw, drill press, jointer, planer, plus a boat load of hand tools. Most of my work is with oak and I am very happy with the Ridgid planer and jointer. I tend to replace blades frequently in order to keep them very sharp which helps on the hard woods. I should probably invest in a jig to resharpen on my bench grinder (not Ridgid).

With the warrantee, available spare/replacement parts I think Ridgid is a good tool for my type of use (non-commercial). So far no complains, except maybe for the fact that the 18v NiCad cordless tools appear to becoming obsolite.
                          JC

Comment

[QUOTE=Ski John;61321]I guess that I could be a Ridgid poster boy, having the table saw, large compound mitre saw, band saw, drill press, jointer, planer, plus a boat load of hand tools.

Ski John....

How long have you had the HD planer and the jointer? I have been doing some research on the two machines, and it seems that for the money they are well worth it!
                            Everyone thinks there problems are more important than yours!

Comment

JHE - I have had the planer for about three years. I bought it to plane down 2x6 deck boards for a new finish. Figured that a few sets of blades was much cheaper than 500sft of new lumber. The planer works well so long as I run it with a dust collection and/or vacuum system on it and obviously with sharp blades. Most of my work now is hardwood. The jointer is a new purchase and I am very happy with the results on my latest projects. I guess that time will tell how it stands up, but I have been quite happy with by other Ridgid tools so I expect the same from this one.
                              JC

Comment

Working...
                              X