H.f. D.c. ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H.f. D.c. ?

I bought the Harbor Freight 2 H.P. Dust Collector last night at my local store, I had a 10% off central machinery tool coupon that expired the 18th, so I got it for about $160.00, I know the bags are not very good and most upgrade them , has anyone upgraded this dust collector with the one thats actually built for the unit? On no threads here or elsewhere have I heard anyone even mention its available.heres a link to it> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94278
    It is a 1 micron dust collector conversion kit built for it,
    "Turns our 2 HP Industrial Dust Collector into a super efficient 1 micron filtration unit. Includes one filter cartridge, mounting rings and three collection bags."
    Anyone have this HF DC unit and bought one of these as an upgrade? What do you think of it ? Is it worth the $169.99 price?
    I have seen on other sites people who have used 1 micron bags and used these type filters retrofitting them, thought this would be an easy upgrade though, with everything fitting properly.( Don't like "rigging" my tools)
    I put my unit together last night super simple assembly went together like a breeze.
    Last edited by American and Proud; 10-19-2006, 05:52 PM.

I can't speak specifically to the HF D.C., as I have the Jet. Seems to me like the Jet is fairly similar to the HF though. I upgraded my Jet to the 1micron filter and it works great. The only downside is you have to take off the filter to replace the bags. You *can* replace them w/out removing it, but it's WAAAAAAAY easier to just pop off the filter. I find it easy enough to get the top filter on and off, and it certainly speeds up the bag replacement. It also cuts down on the sins I subject myself to by way of language.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Good the know VA i'll remember that tip if I buy it, No one has the HF DC with this option here?
      Thanks for your reply VA

Comment

I have the HF DC but not with that option. I choose to stay with bags for both the top and the bottom. For the top my choice was the Grizzly G5556 and for the bottom I went with the clear bags, #893-254, from Woodworkers Supply.

There is no need to have to take the DC half way apart to change the lower bag either. I've yet to remove the top bag as all I do is slap the outsides of the bag around a bit to loosen the caked on dust. I do this when I'm ready to change out the lower bag. Granted, the filtration is not quite as good, 2.5 micron vs 1 micron, but it's a tremendous upgrade from the 30 micron stock bags. The total cost for the purchases from both companies, including freight, was under $50.
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Try here:

http://www.wynnenv.com/9e300bl_conversion.htm

Comment

That is one of the places I had seen and read Mr Z looked a little "rigged" to me, filter is undersized fitted with a plywood piece , may work, but not that "factory" look . I'm picky I guess. But thanks
            Originally posted by MrZ

Comment

www.highlandwoodworking.com
              Their 20" bag fits it nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by American and Proud
                That is one of the places I had seen and read Mr Z looked a little "rigged" to me, filter is undersized fitted with a plywood piece , may work, but not that "factory" look . I'm picky I guess. But thanks
                Yes, I see your point it does look "rigged". However a good cartridge filter will flow more air and is easier to clean then a bag filter.

What about using a larger cartridge?:

http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm

Comment

Thanks ,i've seen all the "Mods" for the
                  HF DC my original post was asking if anyone with the HF DC unit had bought this> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94278 , It is made specifically for it and I was wondering if they liked it , and thought it was a reasonable price. Thanks.
                  Last edited by American and Proud; 10-22-2006, 12:49 AM.

Comment

My DC is the Griz G1029 2hp. I initially upgraded the 30 mic stock bags with the Griz G5556 2.5 mic bags...upper and lower. The filtration improved alot, and even the airflow increased a bit b/c the bags have better airflow than the stock bags.

Ultimately, it was still a messy pain to empty, so I jumped on a great deal on a 1mic cannister from JDS last spring, then added the clear bags. The filtration isn't as noticeably improved, though it's very good, but the clear bottom bag is a nice feature that's alot easier to change or empty than the cloth bag. The cannister has 5-6 times the airflow than the upgraded bags....a clear bag has zero airflow, but the flow of the cannister still yields improved airflow over the stock and upgraded felt bags. The upgraded felt bags have slightly higher airflow than the stock 30 mic bags, but be aware that if you upgrade just the top bag with a 2.5 mic felt bag (or comparable), then add a clear bottom bag, you will have decreased airflow vs. the stock unit that allowed airflow through both bags...so the overall CFM will be reduced to nearly half. In order to maintain stock airflow through 1 bag, that bag needs to have double the airflow as the stock bags, so would need to have nearly twice the surface area. That's not to say that it doesn't work and there won't be enough airflow, but it'll definitely be reduced. That's one of the advantages of the cannister.

Comment

Working...
                    X