No announcement yet.

Saw dust vs. Lungs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jrwoodchuck, I hope your disease is controllable and doesn't keep you from enjoying things. Your post is THE reason for this topic.

"There is nothing like hearing a doctor tell you that you have an irreversable lung disease to make you wake up and smell the roses. So just because some of you are healthy and happy without a mask today, doesn't mean your lungs wont set up like concrete tommorow."

To all: Listen(or read) and Learn. I want to live to be about 90 and still be able to read Ouwoody's complaints about Ridgid and people getting upset because someone called them an "old fart". Its better than the alternative.

[ 12-02-2003, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Greg's Garage ]
    keep makn\' sawdust!...just don\'t breath any.

Comment

[QUOTE][*]Running an air filtration system - one of those ceiling mount units.
      Has anyone seem a comparison on the ceiling mount air filtration units? I'm considering the Penn State mid-range version, cost about $240. My "shop" is in my two car garage when the two cars aren't in there. Anybody seen a better unit anywhere?

[ 12-07-2003, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Bill Tatum ]

Comment

Seems I recently read a review, but it could be in Wood, Am. WW'r or Pop. WW'ing---as I usually read all three---sorry.

Trouble with an air filtration system, is if you're in the shop, when the dust is made airborne, you've likely already breathed it in, as the air unit is likely above the dust source. It's best use is clearing dust from the air, prior to finishing work. DC with a good filter is better at reducing the amount of airborne dust, while a machine is running.
        Dave

Comment

Jet has a model that I saw in action at WW store. It's 199 retail price and has a pretty decent range. I dont' remember the dimensional room but I remember woul drecycle my basement workarea 12 times per hour. It has an autoshutoff feature that I think is excellent feature. comes with remote and you can buy additional remotes if you lose them. I probed the person at the store about the long term cost of filters etc. They last a long time. If physically clean them may last a year or longer with one filter for serious amateur Woodworkers. Also, I think I read htat you can add a 3rd stage carbon filter to get rid of fumes from finishing. But I'm not sure which Jet models that is available for.

Hope this is helpful
          Jake

Comment

This book has everything you want to know about dust control. Controlling Dust in the Workshop. It has a simple plan to build your own filtration system instead of spending $200 on one that has limitations. You can adapt it to fit as many filters as you want.
            After reading it I decided it is a good idea to put the dust collector outside of the workshop if possible since the bags on the collector do not necessarily trap all the dust.
            Read the other reviews at Amazon.
            The book is only about 10 bucks, but well worth it before spending hundreds on a system.
            www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I'm still a young guy myself but the most important thing I tell to all new woodworkers is to get a good mask and wear it always (not just when sanding). Of course "always" doesn't apply to those who have the proper dust collection with proper airflow and filtration.

Bill Tatum, I have the Jet air filtration system for $200 (AFS1000B). It doesn't replace the mask at all. What it is good for is reducing the amount of dust in the air after you have FINISHED woodworking for the day and have left the shop. This way you aren't coughing getting into your car the next day.

Comment

Spend the money for a true cyclone dust collection system with the 1 micron bags. Forget the cheap roll around collectors which do nothing more than collect chips and pump the room full of fine dust. Shine a light or look thru sunlight, see fine dust floating?
                Your lungs are filling up with it. Not good.

Comment

I've added a dust collector and several resperators (placed by each work station)to my workshop. Soon I'll add an air cleaner. Thats about as much as anyone can do.

It turns out that sawdust is NOT the cause of my dad's illness. He has a muscle disease similar to Lou Gehrig disease. It effects your involuntary muscles, including your throat. It causes him to swollow a little food or liquid into his lungs everytime he eats or drinks. This is what caused, and keeps causing, his lung infections.

Sorry if I caused anyone any undo alarm. Please say a prayer for Chuck.

Thanks.

Comment

OSHA is not only for the workplace. Though they do not do enforcement or insections of one's home shop of course the regs and guidlines can be used to keep you on the right track to working safely.

Here's a link to some of their information on wood dust and wood shop dust generators.

OSHA eTools

Comment

Again, thanks for all your comments. It has helped make my workshop a much cleaner, healthier environment. My shop is now complete as far as machinery is concerned, as I have inhereted my father's equipment.

Comment

For more than you ever wanted to know about dust collection visit
                        http://cnets.net/~eclectic/woodworki...lone/index.cfm

You'll learn that the real damaging dust is so small it gets through a lot of DC bags and filters.

You'll learn why shop vacs don't have enough air flow (different from suction) to do the job.

And lot's more. Scary site.

Comment

My Grandpa started doing woodworking when he was about 5 in his dad's workshop. He stopped working because of heath reasons (non reparitory in nature) when he was 83. He's now 89 and, of course, in decline but after all that woodworking, no resparitory issues.

However, I started wearing a cheap mask very shortly after I started working on my new shop. It seams that I have inherited my Dad's sinus problems (the jerk ) A bit of sawdust will leave me miserable for a few minutes as I blow my nose continuously. Fortunately a little paper mask seems to do just the trick. My garage is well ventilated (since an entire wall is open to mother nature) but I'll probably invest in a good mask once I start working with some of the stronger paints and finishes on the market. I used to be a helicopter crewcheif in the Army and I became very sensitized to the issues surrounding OSHA regs and Material safty data sheets.

My best wishes for your Dad.

Comment

Working...
                          X