X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clamps Cabinet

I found this guys clamp storage and thought i'd pass it along here. http://woodworking.phruksawan.com/clampCabinet/
    I think i'm gonna make myself one. I was wondering if anyone has a cool clamp storage idea for the old fashioned 3/4 pipe clamps ? I don't own any of the "Bessy's" yet, maybe this week i'll buy a few, But I still want a better way to store the 3/4 pipe clamps, Thanks and enjoy the "Clamp Cabinet" I posted

At the shop Im at we took our pipe clamps and built a box for them, about 3' tall. The top of the box has 1 1/4" holes in it. The clamps go in the box which makes them close up, and they stay stacked up straight so you dont get 3 clmaps when you only need one. Then finally we put casters on so we can bring the box wherever we need it. Most of the other guys in the shop just have them leaning on the edge of their backbench though, always in the way or ready to jump out and "bite" a toe without any warnings.

The only ting I would do different on my clamp cabinet is to leave the sides open so I can see how long the clamp Im after is before I pull it out.

Comment

Hi Orange, if it's not to much trouble could you post a pic of it? and anyone else feel free to post some pics of your clamp storage ideas.Thanks

Comment

You can see mine hanging on the wall behind the saw. Those are 5 footers and have never fallen. Where they slide in is about 6 inches deep.
        Attached Files
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

In the December/January issue of American Woodworker page 20, there is an idea for hanging pipe clamps from the ceiling. If I were to build this I would put them parrallel with the joists and not as in the photo. These are basically a box with an open bottom that you slide the handles into and hang. Worth checking out.
          If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Re: Pipe clamp holders

For my pipe clamps, I used short lengths of 1" PVC pipe cut slightly off center. This produces a "claw" to grip the black iron pipe.

Mounted them on a 2 X 4 block with two countersunk wood screws.

Simply insert the pipe and press into place. Grab the pipe and pull to release.
            Last edited by billmoy; 11-25-2009, 02:40 PM.

Comment

billmoy, that's an excellent idea. Have you had any fall off the holder?

Comment

Re: Pipe clamp holders

I haven't had any fall off yet. but I hang them next to my tool cabinet near the floor. If they get a hard bump they may work loose.

You may have to experiment with the cut to get a secure hold. The PVC does flex when you insert the pipe to give a strong hold.

Comment

I'll have to give your idea a try. What amazes me is how much thought and effort we put into solutions and complicate things when there is a simple solution at hand. I have been racking my pea brain trying to figure out how to store my clamps, I guess being an engineer makes matters worse. Thanks..

Comment

anyone remember or seen those ladders used as furniture by way of shelves? Backside is straight up/down and front is slanted from ground upto the top.Cut some slots as to hold a poolstick in the shelves and add casters for a mobile pipeclamp stand.I even got the lumber to build the ladder. When mine is finished ill post a pic.

Comment

Looking forward to some pics. I just dismantled one of those that my wife didn't need any more. Oh well, live and learn.

Comment

Re: Clamps Cabinet

I just hang my 1' clambs on the pegboard.

Comment

Working...
                        X