X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frued dado set ?

I can't seem to find any info on the "freud DIABLO stacked dado set" 8 inch,non-stick Perma-shield coating,Kickback-reducing shoulder design, Item -DD208 It comes in a Black plastic open style case the blades are Red, there is another set at Home Depot ( not sure of the Item# for it) thats in a Red case with Black blades,no perma-sheild coating BOTH are the exact same price $94.00
    I did a GOOGLE search for it , and or reviews, even checked AMAZON nothing there.
    It is a "DD208" not SD so the label says .
    I bought the one with the "Prema-Sheild" , tool guy there had no clue he did'nt even know one had a coating, or what could be the other differances if any. Neither is the freud "box joint set".
    Anyone use this dado set and whats your opinions of it? Know of any reviews that incude the DD208 ?
    Does it cut well?
    Flat bottoms?
    Any info appreciated, Thanks.
    Shims are included and one chipper blade is thinner than the rest. Thanks
    Last edited by American and Proud; 10-31-2006, 05:54 PM. Reason: added to thread

The only difference between the SD208 and the DD208 is the DD has the Perma-Shield coating and the SD does not. Other than that, they are identical. The DD set was, IIRC, introduced around a year ago. Actually, the only place that I've seen it is at Home Depot. I don't know if they have an excusive on it or not, maybe they do.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Hi B Dave,
      Would the SD reviews be basically the same?
      Do you have the SD and if so how is it?
      Flat bottoms?
      Does the " Perma Sheild" really do much of anything?
      I did a "search" here last night someone posted a Dado set of reviews it was in the archives, today I could'nt refind it.
      Anyone else know of or use the feud Diablo DD208 ? feel free to chime in here , Thanks .
      Ok dumb question as iv'e seen it alot on woodworking forums whats "IIRC"? oh never mind it finally hit me IIRC= if I remember correctly?

Comment

I have the DD208 set. They work great, flat bottoms and square corners. I used a micrometer to check the shims and marked them with a permanent felt tip pen.
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Hi Tod,
          Cool then it's a keeper then huh?
          I read so many darn reviews I got myself confused, lol
          I wanted FLAT bottoms thats for sure.
          Thanks dude.

Comment

My SD208 was a solid performer for 4 years. Wood Mag's review of dado sets a year or so ago rated it a best buy IIRC, or at least had favorable comments about it. Compared to the SD508 and Forrest, they noted some "striping" on the bottom and a bit more tearout....I thought that was a fair and accurate assessment.

I've since gone with a DW7670 with 24T cutters and 4T chippers, that's more similar in design to the Forrest. It cuts extremely well and makes what so far appears to be a smoother cut. The shim stock is pre-engraved, it has 6 chippers, and a very nice carrying case.

Comment

Originally posted by American and Proud View Post
              ............Ok dumb question as iv'e seen it alot on woodworking forums whats "IIRC"? oh never mind it finally hit me IIRC= if I remember correctly?
              FWIW, you can find the meaning of almost any acronym at www.acronymfinder.com HTH, HAND.

TTBOMK, the primary function of the Perma-Shield coating is to dissapate the heat buildup in the blade and allow it to run cooler. Excessive heat buildup is not normally not a huge concern for the hobbyist but the Perma-Shield is a nice feature to have none the less.
              Last edited by BadgerDave; 11-01-2006, 01:49 PM.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

The permacoating is usually a better feature to have but I've also read about people who much rather NOT having it so there ya go. I would probably prefer the perma coating variety but if what was available was without it, I doubt I'd bother to look any further.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                  The only difference between the SD208 and the DD208 is the DD has the Perma-Shield coating and the SD does not. Other than that, they are identical. The DD set was, IIRC, introduced around a year ago. Actually, the only place that I've seen it is at Home Depot. I don't know if they have an excusive on it or not, maybe they do.

I'm 90% certain I've seen the DD at other stores. For some reason neither appears currently listed in Freuds website though.

Comment

OK, I called freud, they told me it is an exclusive item to HD, said it was the same as the SD208 the Perma-Shield coating helps to reduce heat and pitch build up , otherwise no difference, He said on shallow cuts it didnt really do alot for the heat build up part. It helps reduce pitch and helps the blade cut through a little bit easier on less powerful saws.
                    Thanks to everyone who replied, and for your help, I just wanted to be sure what I was buying, So i'm a Proud owner of a DD208 Picked up a Craftsman Dado Insert, last night so i'm good to go. Once I start playing around i'll make Zero Clearance ones for it .
                    Last edited by American and Proud; 11-01-2006, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Hey AAP, congrats on getting the DD208 set. I've been very please with mine because they make clean flat bottomed cuts.

The first thing I cut with mine was a 5/8" slot in the zero clearance insert I needed for the rabbets I was cutting for the project I was on. One just lead to the other.

Comment

I got the $94 Freud outfit at Lowe's a couple years ago. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

The big boys change those part numbers a little bit so they don't have to price-match each other.

Comment

Calling freud themselves I found out that the DD208(HD exclusive) has a "Perma-Sheild" coating over the SD208 that Lowe's sells, HD also sells the SD208 BOTH are $94.00 at either store. I'm liking the Lowes stores more and more though over HD ,glad there moving in closer to me cant wait till one is just down the road.
                          Originally posted by ralphtheplumber View Post
                          I got the $94 Freud outfit at Lowe's a couple years ago. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

The big boys change those part numbers a little bit so they don't have to price-match each other.

Comment

Working...
                          X