Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Smoke fumes when drilling through plywood using carbide drill bit.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke fumes when drilling through plywood using carbide drill bit.

I am drilling 1/8" holes using a carbide drill bit through plywood. I am basically just pre-dilling for driving #8 wood screws through the plywood and pine.

In certain parts of the plywood as I am drilling, there is a burning smell. The drill bit is brand new and I am using a 6.8A drill.

Am I spinning the drill too fast or do I need to get proper wood dril bits?

I was using a #8 combination countersink bit, but that too was burning when drilling through the plywood. Obviously I had no problem drilling through pine.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by dieselgg; 11-03-2006, 12:07 AM. Reason: correction

Sorry, correction... they are titanium coated high speed drill bits. I don't know why carbide was stuck in my head.

I was using a drill/hammer drill (0-2700RPM) and prior to that I tried a 4A (0-2200 rpm).

I am suprised the countersink combination bit had a tough time.

I recall adding a bit of soap to the bit and it did help a bit.
    Last edited by dieselgg; 11-03-2006, 12:24 AM.

Comment

According to the Wood Magazine's Drill Press Speed Chart you should, "Raise 1/4" and smaller bits often to clear shavings and prevent heat build-up."
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Sounds as though you got ahold of some of those European left-hand drill bits, you need to run your drill in reverse if that is the case. Most drills don’t run as fast in reverse so you’ll have to exercise a little more patience.

Woodslayer

Comment

Thanks for the chart BadgeDave.

Sure enough, cleaning the fllute area of the bit from wood dust and debris took care of my problem. I guess the thick plywood material adheres to the drill bit easily.
          Last edited by dieselgg; 11-03-2006, 06:51 PM.

Comment

OK, you guys are starting to concern me, I gave a totally lame BS answer and no one even challenged me on it. No offense to you, Dieselgg, I figured Dave had already solved the puzzle so I was just attempting to strike up some spirited posts. No challenge from Dave, no wisecrack comeback from Lorax, it must have been an off day. Be honest, did anyone google “European left-hand drill bits”?

Woodslayer

Comment

Woodslayer: I just filed it in my upside down drawer along with my left handed monkey wrench and my coil of 100 feet of shoreline!!!!!
              Jim

Comment

Left handed monkey wrench

Now some poor left handed monkey cannot find his wrench to shut off the blue steam valve.

Comment

I paid good money for my Metric Adjustable Wrench And Plier set so I just figured you knew what you were talking about.

BTW, Lorax posted a couple of times yesterday so maybe you woke him up.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Left Hand Twist Drills

Just in case any of you ever need them, they are made and here in the USA besides other countries. They are mostly used only in large machine shops or factories. How many of you have noticed that the chuck retaining screw in your VSR drill has left hand threads?

http://www.precisiontwistdrill.com/c...oducts&page=33 (look carefully at picture)

I know this posting is not related the the origional question. Dave has the right idea that if chips or glop get stuck in the flutes of a drill bit they make heat. The use of "Woodpecker" drilling does help.

Comment

I actually have some left-handed (or reverse-twist) cobalt bits. They are part of a bolt/screw extractor set. Sometimes during the drilling, the broken bolt or screw will is removed without needing the extractor...

Comment

I have a set of left handed twist bits made by Snap-on . I knew he was kidding , but admit at first he caught me off guard and it made me think of reverse bits for extracting broken off studs or bolts used by mechanics, I have the Snap-on ones from my years as a Body and Fender/ Combo Man.So I know they exist.
                        Last edited by American and Proud; 11-05-2006, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X