Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do You Cut an Inside Corner 45 Angle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How Do You Cut an Inside Corner 45 Angle?

I am going to bring up an ancient thread here, so I am quite sure the OP is done already, BUT, I wanted to try and explain the correct way to do it for the next time someone needs it done.

I will use baseboard as an example,

First piece that goes in to the corner cut at a long 45 so it goes all the way in to the corner. Second piece, cut a 22.5* angle on it (instead of the normal 45* on a cope) and then cut this out. Here is the tricky part, when you are cutting this cope, you have to back cut the piece at least 45*. On a normal cope you just back cut a little so the front hits, on this one you do the same, but you have to backcut the cope 45-46-47* degrees.

a little tricky the first time you do it, but once you do, it will make sense and fit great.

Brew

Comment

Tod is correct. You are working off the wrong 90 degree reference. Maybe you can clamp a board perpendicular to your back rail, and then set the saw to 22 1/2 degrees. Be careful that everything clears and the molding is secure.

Comment

check out 2nd half of video. At about 3:00 I show how to cut this joint. Very simple, no need for extra boards, or tenoning jigs, or what ever else was suggested. Only difference is instead of cutting the cope at a 45* angle you cut it at a 22.5* (with piece up against fence, just like normal) and you have to back cut the cope at a 45* angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJrS4pZ4SoA

Brew
        Last edited by tsbrewers; 11-09-2009, 06:00 PM.

Comment

If you have a dual slide compound miter saw, Why not lay the base board down flat on the miter saw table against the fence then use the compound saw settings. Thats what the saw was designed for.
          If you were cutting crown molding for a True 45 deg reading the only way to cut it is with the miter and compound settings with the crown laying flat on the saw table. The only other option is to make a jig and bolt it to the saw fence. Most people say a compound saw wont cut the 45 deg angle for crown......there wrong....a dual sliding compound saw will do the job....

Comment

it is easier and quicker to cut the base standing up, unless it is too tall for the fence. The makita's is pretty short, but I was only using 2-3/4" base. Plus, most compound saws will only lay down to 45 or 46*, sometimes that isn't enough for the outside corners. (without adjusting the stops)

The crown is the same way, if it is short enough for the fence, it is much easier cutting it standing up and not laying down. No need for a jig either.

I have never heard anyone say you can't cut a 45 on crown with a SCMS, heck that is what they are designed for.

Brew

Comment

Originally posted by tsbrewers View Post
              it is easier and quicker to cut the base standing up, unless it is too tall for the fence. The makita's is pretty short, but I was only using 2-3/4" base. Plus, most compound saws will only lay down to 45 or 46*, sometimes that isn't enough for the outside corners. (without adjusting the stops)

The crown is the same way, if it is short enough for the fence, it is much easier cutting it standing up and not laying down. No need for a jig either.

I have never heard anyone say you can't cut a 45 on crown with a SCMS, heck that is what they are designed for.

Brew
              Brew, the only way to cut crown molding for True 45 deg is laying flat on the saw. A True 45 deg angle is 67.5 deg miter in the carpenters world.

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmoman View Post
                Brew, the only way to cut crown molding for True 45 deg is laying flat on the saw. A True 45 deg angle is 67.5 deg miter in the carpenters world.
                wrong. as long as it is not extremely large crown it can be cut with a regular miter saw, doesn't even need to be a compound miter saw, and doesn't need to be flat on the table.

There are two ways, upside down with the bottom of the crown against the fence. at the correct spring angle, or with the crown sitting as it would be on the wall, so the bottom of the crown on the table of the saw, the back against the fence, sitting at the correct spring angle.

Brew

Comment

Ok, here are a couple pics of how it is done, both are done without the trim flat on the table, and both can be done with a regular, non-compound miter saw. Only time these ways can not be used is if the crown is too large for the saw.

First, the most common method, the "upside down and backwards method" Second is with the crown sitting just as it would on the wall. the second pic shows a jig to hold the crown while cutting. As long as the crown isn't too big, it is just as easy to just hold it and cut it. and again, neither has the crown flat on the table or needs a 67.5 angle.

BTW, I know all about the carpenters world, since I have been a part of it for many years, with at least 10 just strictly trimming.

Brew
                  Attached Files

Comment

I don't know how this post got derailed and went to cutting crown. If you go back and look the OP is talking about cutting base molding.
                    SSG, U.S. Army
                    Retired
                    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by tsbrewers View Post
                      Ok, here are a couple pics of how it is done, both are done without the trim flat on the table, and both can be done with a regular, non-compound miter saw. Only time these ways can not be used is if the crown is too large for the saw.

First, the most common method, the "upside down and backwards method" Second is with the crown sitting just as it would on the wall. the second pic shows a jig to hold the crown while cutting. As long as the crown isn't too big, it is just as easy to just hold it and cut it. and again, neither has the crown flat on the table or needs a 67.5 angle.

BTW, I know all about the carpenters world, since I have been a part of it for many years, with at least 10 just strictly trimming.

Brew
                      Look at the attachments, this is a (True) 45 deg angle. Your demonstration is for a 135 degs. Look at a 0 to 360 angle finding protractor, set it at 45 degs. You will see how it will match the angle on the crown attachment below. If you were going to cut two flat pcs of wood for a 45 deg (true) angle the miter cuts would be 67.5 degs. How do you cut that on a miter saw when the deg settings on the saw dont go that far.
                      How would you cut the crown in the attachment, flat on the saw table or standing up against the fence ? If you can cut it standing up maybe you can teach me something. I'm always willing to learn......
                      Look at this link,it demonstrates a True 45 deg acute angle for crown.
                      http://www.garymkatz.com/Publication...cuteAngles.pdf
                      Maybe we should start a new thread so we dont steal this one
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Gizmoman; 11-10-2009, 05:40 AM. Reason: added link

Comment

Hey Brew, I tried your method out today cutting crown for a True 45 deg angle on crown molding. I dont see anyway it can happen with the crown standing up against the saw fence.
                        Maybe I'm doing something wrong or not understanding. The way I see it is the crown has to lay flat on the saw table using compound deg settings.

Comment

Yes, if you want to cut that angle you are showing (true 45?) then you must use the jig gary shows in the pdf you linked to. But, as you can read in that article, he prefers to stand the crown up too, instead of laying it flat. In all my years of trimming, I probably have had that angle only once or twice, so I usually will make a quick jig like he did to cut it.

Brew

Comment

The original poster was asking about base....how did you guys get to showing each other up with crown?

Comment

Longhair, I think the mix up had to do with the original post. 45,135, and 67.5 degs was mentioned. Once 67.5 was mentioned it was hard to tell if he was talking about a true 45 deg angle or what I call the reciprocal of 135 deg. A 135 deg inside corner and 225 outside corner are the same animal. The miter cuts for both are 22.5.

Comment

Working...
                              X