X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Bit Storage Ideas ?

Ok guys & dolls, I just bought 14 new bits from Woodcraft for $5.00 each 1/2 " shanks( on sale now Hurry!), I was wondering if I and everyone could see pics of your bit storage, one to expand on for adding more bits as needed. I dont have a fancy router table just a basic benchtop metal model, so looking for a cabinet style to hang, but will enjoy seeing any and all. Thanks
    (was told on woodnet forums I would not be sorry with these bits.)
    Last edited by American and Proud; 11-04-2006, 08:58 PM.

Maybe you can make a stand something like this and place it on a shelf or your workbench. I would make fewer holes and space them farther apart. This steel stand is for 1/2 shank twist drills 33/64 - 1 by 64ths. It's just an idea and I would use a nice big block of wood. A drill press with a depth stop comes in handy. This will take a little designing work but should come out nice.

I forgot to add that a little GIBBS spray helps protect them from rusting. CRC and LPS work pretty well too. I like GIBBS myself. No mess to clean off them later.

I use both a 17/64 and a 33/64 twist drill for the holes. When I made mine, I used (3) pieces of 1 x 8 and didn't drill into the bottom one. The top and middle got glued and then were drilled. Please remember that a drill press really helps with this and so does drilling pilot holes. I cut the ends off when all glued up with my manual miter box saw and then sanded and painted it. Yes, it's rather crude but it works for my needs. I'm sure some company makes similar ones just for router bits using molded plastic and thus you can save yourself work.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Woussko; 11-05-2006, 04:05 PM.

Comment

How about this from Wood Magazine December 2003, issue includes the poster seen on my door, I modified the plan to use a raised panel door. You can still order the issue here

Comment

I have a half height file cabinet in the shop and the top drawer is 4 inches deep. I took one of those inexpensive cutting boards made out of some sort of plastic derivative that was about a ½” thick and cut it to the width of the drawer, drilled ½ and ¼” holes at varying distances to accommodate different diameter bits and placed some ½ spacers underneath. It works great and was cheap, quick and easy. Not nearly as fancy as Wayne's though.

Woodslayer

Comment

Mine is to fancy to show, so I will tell you about it.

it is a block of wood with holes drilled into it, and it has 1/4" and 1/2" holes for the different bits, it was a 2x8 end cut off at one time, now it lives on as a router bit storage,

It holds them securely, easy to take to a job site, light in weight, and tough, and it will fit in side my custom made router box that is now pushing 30 years old, come to think of it the block has been doing duty for about the same time,

I did have to drill out some of the holes a number of years ago to 1/2"
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I just built a basic box with a thicker than normal bottom. I used a forstner bit to drill some countersunk holes in the bottom of box and put some CMT Shank Bushings in the holes. Very inexpensive and works well. I also throw a few of those little moisture eating packs into the box and they do a great job of keeping the bits rust free.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Very nice, how many bits will that hold? Are the 2 bottom drawers just boxes or do they hold bits too? The raised panel is a nice touch too, might be out of place in my mess of a garage just yet though lol Thanks for showing it.
              Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
              How about this from Wood Magazine December 2003, issue includes the poster seen on my door, I modified the plan to use a raised panel door. You can still order the issue here

Comment

Good idea for a drawer, I don't have that many just my tool boxes from my bodyshop days, and there all full.I didnt see any prices on those? the tray would be nice if i build a router cab. one day. Thanks.
                Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                I just built a basic box with a thicker than normal bottom. I used a forstner bit to drill some countersunk holes in the bottom of box and put some CMT Shank Bushings in the holes. Very inexpensive and works well. I also throw a few of those little moisture eating packs into the box and they do a great job of keeping the bits rust free.

Comment

There all good ideas, thanks for posting and lets see some more people. Maybe I or we can mix a few ideas and make ones that suit us each personally, I'm trying to get ideas and then come up with some things that suit my needs, I just dont know what they are quite yet is all.lol But i'm making progress out there in the shop IF I ever get it set up I will post pics, once I get that old pickup primed and sell it i'll have some room to set the machines around and get to some actual wood projects.

Comment

There are 120 holes and all of them are started with a 1/2" forstner so that the 1/4" bit hole can easily be converted to 1/2" bit holes as your bit collection changes. It will not fit 120 bits as the raised panel set at the top takes about 12 holes. I keep my cabinet scrapers and some sharpening tools and supplies in the drawers

Comment

wbrooks

That is one nice cabinet you have and I like how you have the 120 Volt receptacle in dark brown and the 240 Volt one in ivory or maybe it's white. For my 120 Volt ones along my bench I have circuit A in brown and circuit B in gray.

Comment

Working...
                      X