X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My review

Used it last night to gain access inside a wall to fix a leak. Cut through the drywall like butter with less dust then a circular saw. Then used it to cut a copper pipe that would've been difficult to cut any other way. The copper was getting rerouted so cleanliness of the cut wasn't a concern for me. I thought the LED was just a gimmick but it does work well.

No issues at all with it and am 100% happy with it. BTW, I have the corded model.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: My review

Love My Harbor freight $59.00 Multi tool. 2" blades only $10.00. I'm sure the Ridgid is a better tool,didn't know they made them.
    My Son has a freud,Big $$$$ for tool and blades are crazy expensive! This style tool has It's place and is awesome!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

try the scraper blade when you have a toilet that's caulked that won't budge. i think the blade softens and melts the caulking. works great.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        Cut through the drywall like butter with less dust then a circular saw.
        Do you seriously use a circular saw to cut drywall when you don't have a tool like this?

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
          Do you seriously use a circular saw to cut drywall when you don't have a tool like this?
          Yes or I'll make the initial hole with a hammer then clean up the edge with a circular saw. How else would you cut a hole in drywall?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Yes or I'll make the initial hole with a hammer then clean up the edge with a circular saw. How else would you cut a hole in drywall?
            Done it several ways. Probably some of the same ways you have.

Circular saw. Small shop vac running with the blade.
            Reciprocating Saw. I do better with the blade turned over. Shop Vac too.
            I have a RotoZip too that does well with a good bit. Have an attachment at the head where you hook the vacuum directly too. Keeps things pretty clean.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
              Could you imagine the cleanup.Fills the entire room with dust.A guy would have to plastic the customers property.
              Sawzall W/aggressive metal blade is the only way for me.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                Love My Harbor freight $59.00 Multi tool. 2" blades only $10.00. I'm sure the Ridgid is a better tool,didn't know they made them.
                My Son has a freud,Big $$$$ for tool and blades are crazy expensive! This style tool has It's place and is awesome!
                Especially when the general doesn't know any better to remove plywood under granite,now the fixtures don't reach.
                No longer a problem.I used to have to ruin a hole saw to try and drill notch out the material.

Comment

Use a sheetrock knife, very clean and easy to cut an access hole.

I just did it the other day to cut in an old work box to add an outlet in a room.
                  Last edited by Bob D.; 09-04-2011, 10:14 PM.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    Could you imagine the cleanup.Fills the entire room with dust.A guy would have to plastic the customers property.
                    Sawzall W/aggressive metal blade is the only way for me.
                    Not that bad actually, I follow the saw with a shop vac as JC mentioned. Cleanup is about the same as a sawzall with no vacuum. I like the circular saw (now the job max) because you get a precise depth when cutting, no need to worry about cutting anything in the wall. Never tried JC's method of a backwards sawzall blade.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Just a note. I don't mean cutting the wall with the backside of the blade. I mean putting the blade in upside down to decrease the angle for more control across joists and to prevent Sawzall "punch".

Make any sense?

J.C.

Comment

Not that bad actually, I follow the saw with a shop vac as JC mentioned. Cleanup is about the same as a sawzall with no vacuum. I like the circular saw (now the job max) because you get a precise depth when cutting, no need to worry about cutting anything in the wall. Never tried JC's method of a backwards sawzall blade.
                        Holding the sawzall at a high degree of angle you can set your depth.If one thinks he's getting close he can finish to the stud by just manually sawing the power tool.Come over to the house before you leave town and I'll run a demo Be.
                        Got some drywall and 2X's we'll build wall simulation and you can watch the backside...The wall you silly F@ggits.

Comment

i try and use a sheet rock saw to allow me to cut a 45 bevel. this allows the drywall to be put back and taped without falling through. dry waller showed me this trick 25 years ago.

problem out here in california, i run into shear wall 1/2 the time and a small cordless circ saw set up for the right depth. 5/8'' + 3/8'' shear wall is simple to maintain with a little circ saw.

the dremel multi cutter works good and produces little dust with it's fine blade and little fan.

i also use a drywall cutout rotozip, but it blows lots of dust.

a sawzall is my last choice as the stroke can easily cut into romex and copper and plastic. holding at a steep angle is ok for drywall, but never fun for plywood.

remember the 6 square foot rule on lead painted walls.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Most of the time I'll use a drywall saw.The thought of using a circular saw scares the crap outta me ..No way .Sawzall yes but again very cautiously..With the drywall saw you can feel when you are contacting a pipe , wire , stud, etc...Have done the roto zip thing too..In an open job the dust is rediculous...I am thinking the multimax tool would do a much better job than all the above put together.Much better depth control
                            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Has anyone else burned through the sanding pads that came with the multi tool head?

I am sanding a pretty detailed roller coaster body for painting, found this tool for the right price, then in two days, melted the hooks on every corner. I contacted Home Depot, but was told the only option for replacement was to purchase the 49.99 head for the unit. Kinda steep for 2 days work when I only need the sanding pad. Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                              X