X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Press Snap Makes Job Easier

This tool has been a hit at the road shows. It is so easy to use and greatly reduces the time in cutting. If you have a Standard Press Tool, it is an easy addition to get more value out of your RIDGID tool. Though it can go the other way. I've seen Press Tools sold so as to use the attachment. For more information or a demonstration, click one of the above buttons. We look forward to your feedback.

To see it in action, take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjtk_BBrfUw
    Last edited by ProBrand; 08-18-2009, 11:55 AM. Reason: Typo

Re: Press Snap Makes Job Easier

Is 4" cast iron the only capacity? Or is a 6" capacity for clay pipe in the future?
    This would be very useful for those of us still forced to work with clay pipe in the trenches!

Comment

Whoever came up with this idea should be rewarded in my opinion. Introduced a new and useful product that works with another product.

Almost seems like cheatin' cutting CI with this.

J.C.

Comment

has this been tested in real world applications. Such as cutting out an old section of cast iron that you want to try to connect back to.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
          has this been tested in real world applications. Such as cutting out an old section of cast iron that you want to try to connect back to.
          I'm guessing that you would get similar results as when you use traditional cutters. Good condition CI, good cut. Deteriorated CI, probably got to go to the grinder of the sawzall.

J.C.

Comment

i got to play with it at the trade show

great for pipe that's in sound condition.

just like any other snap type cutter, you don't want to use it for pipe that's not structurally sound.

the impressive thing about this cutter is that there is no adjustment necessary. link it and click it no knob to adjust.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Great question. We've done pretty extensive field trials on this one (I used it in my own house). Some of the folks on this forum have already used the Press Snap at our various Roadshows and our now infamous Round-Up Event (:::SHUDDERS as he imagines a certain forum member drinking a milkshake made with a Drain Cleaner::::. I can't wait to demo this at our next Round Up!
              Last edited by RIDGID Dave; 08-21-2009, 02:16 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

In the video I noticed they have another peice of pipe inside the 4 inch pipe that is being cut. Why is this?

Comment

In the video I noticed they have another peice of pipe inside the 4 inch pipe that is being cut. Why is this?
                  could be misleading if you didn't know the reason for this.

they had the cast iron supported off the ground. if they didn't have another smaller piece inside to support the pipe when it snapped/ cut, it would have come crashing to the ground.

most of us fab pipe laying on the ground to support it. so therefore the ground would support the pipe and keep it from slamming to the ground.

where the real speed is made is in fabbing pipe. there is no real adjustment needed like with a regular snap cutter when going from 2 to 3 or 3 to 4''. the 3'' has always been the oddball adjustment for snap cutters.

unless you're doing fab work, cutting 1 piece of pipe for a tie in, is not cost effective to break out a $2,000 propress tool and a $400-500 cutter.

there is also a propress rod cutter out there. not sure if ridgid has it in their future or not. once again a very expensive piece of hardware for 1 cut here and there.

if you already own a propress, then the upgrade cost is minimal

for a t/i company, this is a dream combination. propress copper and no hub cutter all in 1. for a small service/ repair contractor, it might be too cost prohibitive to get into at this time

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

WIll it cut the old, harder than he!! extra heavy?

Comment

2 to 3 presses on service weight cast-----this tool is great and its on its way here

Comment

okay now i have to buy the propress tool.!! with snapp assembly

Comment

I'm a non-plumber, but I had the chance to use this at the RoundUp this past week. I must say, very efficent, easy to use, loud snap, and fun. Seems like quite the tool.

Comment

I got to use this as well at the round up. Great tool. I can use it for those times they have the cast iron line tucked away in a tight chase where a standard snap cutter will not work. I too would love to see this adapted for use with 6" clay pipe.
                            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

The response to the snap tool has been great, everyone wants one, now if only we could get them shipping...
                              Jay
                              Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid
                              Coptool - Power Tool Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X