X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutting oil on crete

i have managed to drip the cutting oil on some new concrete. i have tried to remove the stains with the obvious methods like degreaser, bleach, pressure washer, and a few other chemicals. nothing works.

any ideas?

Re: cutting oil on crete

floor dry/ oil dry, sold at auto parts stores and some hardware stores,

is it a clay based and it seems to pull the oil out of the concrete, it may take some time, but where I have spilled oil in the shop and cover with floor dry, the spot seems to be gone in time,

it is probably know by many names,

the finer it is ground up the better it will absorb the oil out of the concrete.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thre was a product available years ago called "K2R Spot Lifter". It was for taking stains out of clothes. I was never successful removing even a single stain with it. But it was the best at sucking oil out of wood, concrete, or just about anything else. Haven't seen it in years.. wonder if it's still available? It might leave a light ring on your concrete, though... but as I remember, that usually faded away.

Lacking the K2R, did you try a steel wire brush and copious amounts of lacquer thinner?

Comment

i've had good luck with motor oil spills using foaming engine gunk. let it soak in and brush with a coarse broom. then rinse off.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Mineral spirits or naptha (aka lighter fluid, coleman lantern fuel, charcoal starter) to fully wet the area and immediately cover it thickly with dri-zit, kitty litter, etc (grease absorbant clay). Grind it in with a stiff broom or even your boot sole and let dry. Sweep up after about 15-30 minutes and redo if its not all gone. May need to let it set longer if the concrete is moist, humidity is high, or temp is low.

I have used it on transmission fluid, brake fluid, and oil with great results.

If there is a thin residue outline, then use detergent soap and again dry it with the absorbant.

Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Use a brick to grind the oil dry into the stain. The resulting powder will absorb most if not all oil.
            God Bless You Super Good!!!

Comment

Haven't heard that trick in a long time. But I was taught to use a piece of old concrete block to do the grinding of the oil dry material. Both should work as each would grind the material into a fine powder. David

Comment

Purple Power degreaser works great, or any other caustic based products.

Comment

I have heard that straight Portland Cement will lift an oil stain off of concrete. Use it just like the oil dry......... work into stain and let set, sweep.

Haven't tried it, just heard it works.

Comment

Working...
                  X