Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

iPhone 4, Droid EVO, Blackberry 9800, Kin ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone 4, Droid EVO, Blackberry 9800, Kin ...

What kind of mobile devices are you guys planning to buy next?

I see a ton of Blackberries, but it seems everyone wants to talk about iPhones and Droids. Will you guys be switching over to something else, or are there already more non-Blackberries than I realize???
    Justin Daw
    RIDGID
    Check out RIDGIDConnect Today!

Re: iPhone 4, Droid EVO, Blackberry 9800, Kin ...

Very happy with my Motorola Droid A855. Way faster than my wife's Iphone.

When her At&T contract runs out next month she's moving to the Droid.
    Last edited by plumberscrack; 09-12-2010, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Ummm. I'm staying with my GZ-ONE. I can drop it from a roof or into a toilet...even have it fall out of the truck into a snow bank and stay there for 2 days. It still works great. In the field this is the best phone I ever owned.

Do any of those phones hold up under the abuse of being in the field? Infact the camera on my phone stopped working for about 4 months. After the snow bank it started working again and has continued to over a year later now.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
        Ummm. I'm staying with my GZ-ONE. I can drop it from a roof or into a toilet...even have it fall out of the truck into a snow bank and stay there for 2 days. It still works great. In the field this is the best phone I ever owned.

Do any of those phones hold up under the abuse of being in the field? Infact the camera on my phone stopped working for about 4 months. After the snow bank it started working again and has continued to over a year later now.
        I had the GZ-one before the Droid. VERY durable phone and liked it a lot. I just needed something to surf the net with in the field. I've had the Droid since Thankgiving and beat it up pretty good. It's a little wiggy when the touch screen gets wet but no major problems. I bought the BodyGlove hard case and screen protector for it.

Comment

I had the HTC Touch Pro and just switched over to the EVO. Only thing I miss from the HTC Touch is the keyboard and voice command was better with Windows Mobile 6.1 than the EVO. I find deleting emails takes a couple more taps than I would like, but otherwise so far I am very happy and would not go back. There are tons of apps for the DROID OS just as there are for the iPhone.

My feeling is the EVO and similar devices will steal some market share from the iPhone which Apple could have avoided if they had expanded to other service providers. But maybe they were bound (or should I say restricted) by their contract with ATT.

That is the same mistake Apple made with PCs in the beginning, they choose to keep everything in-house and IBM licensed everyone in the world to make PCs, and look who has been on top as far as number of units, software, and hardware for close to 20 years now.
          Last edited by Bob D.; 07-07-2010, 08:18 PM.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            I had the THC Touch Pro and just switched over to the EVO. Only thing I miss from the HTC Touch is the keyboard and voice command was better with Windows Mobile 6.1 than the EVO. I find deleting emails takes a couple more taps than I would like, but otherwise so far I am very happy and would not go back. There are tons of apps for the DROID OS just as there are for the iPhone.

My feeling is the EVO and similar devices will steal some market share from the iPhone which Apple could have avoided if they had expanded to other service providers. But maybe they were bound (or should I say restricted) by their contract with ATT.

That is the same mistake Apple made with PCs in the beginning, they choose to keep everything in-house and IBM licensed everyone in the world to make PCs, and look who has been on top as far as number of units, software, and hardware for close to 20 years now.
            Umm, no. Only in the US. In the UK, for example, the iPhone is available on all 5 of the networks. In the US, it is simply not an option to go with Verizon or Sprint, as their IS-41 CDMA radio technology is insular and incompatible with the iPhone's GSM/UMTS worldwide interoperability. So the only other option in the US is T-Mobile, and if you have ATT in the bag, why would you bring TMUS onboard?

As for the PC debate, IBM are out of it, and Microsoft are in decline. Apple is now a bigger company than Microsoft. Interesting times ahead!

Comment

As for the PC debate, IBM are out of it, and Microsoft are in decline...
              Yes, IBM is out, but by choice, not because Apple pushed them. They got the ball rolling, made their money and moved on to other ventures while the gettin was good. If MS had wised up and bought a good hardware platform years back, it would be different today. But because they were so big (thanks to MS-DOS and IBM) everybody thought they were crowding out everybody else....it was 'unfair' that they developed a OS that was more popular than the rest and didn't give away their secrets for everyone else to capitalize on. Did Apple do that? NO, just the opposite, they built fences around their hardware and OS and wouldn't let anybody play, and most didn't want to because their software selection and user base was so limited. MS is in the decline because they were the big guy and what's the use of picking on someone who has such a small market share (then). They got a bad rap for giving away the store. Netscape is the only one who had a gripe in my book. But hey, they were making millions selling their browser at $49(US) a pop and MS came along and gave theirs away. Boo-hoo for Netscape, and I liked the Netscape browser over IE back then (late 80s/early 90s). If RIDGID gives a free battery with the purchase of a tool is that unfair? Don't the others have the right to do the same and try to stay in the running or fold and go home? If GM gives free oil changes for 100,000 miles on new car purchases is that unfair? If they build their cars so that Ford or Fiat or BMW parts won't fit is that unfair? Is that unfair? No, its competition and marketing strategy, nothing more. Anyone who says otherwise is a sore loser.

Anyway, I still like my EVO 4G over my last phone. I miss PTT on NexTel from time to time but I've survived without it.
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Roadster280 View Post
                Umm, no. Only in the US. In the UK, for example, the iPhone is available on all 5 of the networks. In the US, it is simply not an option to go with Verizon or Sprint, as their IS-41 CDMA radio technology is insular and incompatible with the iPhone's GSM/UMTS worldwide interoperability. So the only other option in the US is T-Mobile, and if you have ATT in the bag, why would you bring TMUS onboard?

As for the PC debate, IBM are out of it, and Microsoft are in decline. Apple is now a bigger company than Microsoft. Interesting times ahead!
                Apple is still quite a bit smaller. Investors like them these days, but consumers are spending more on Microsoft. ...dont get me wrong, Apple has the better mobile device of the two hands down!
                Justin Daw
                RIDGID

Comment

Originally posted by ridgidit View Post
                  (snip) ...Apple is still quite a bit smaller...
                  Using today's figures, Microsoft's market capitalization is $213bn. Apple's is $235bn. About 10% bigger, I'd say.

Microsoft has failed to innovate in the same way that Apple did. While MS may have been dominant int he PC sector, Apple has redefined several markets, such as online music and entertainment, devices to play that content, portable computers and telephones. Not only that, but it has integrated those solutions with each other. Whatever dominance MS clings onto today I am sure does not bother Mr Jobs, if history has anything to say. Soviet-esque doctrine. Just continue going round them!

No gripes from me about MS, Netscape, antitrust or anything like that. About as relevant as IBMs dominance in the Golfball typewriter market.

Comment

MSFT had revenue of 58.4 Billion and Net Income of 14.5 Billion. Apple had Revenue of 42.9 Billion and Net Income of 8.2 Billion. I said investors liked Apple, and therefore the Market Cap is higher, but as a company MSFT is doing a better job of making money. All of that said, they are a broader company for sure, and apple seems to excel better than MSFT where they compete most of the time.

Somewhat related, these new numbers here are interesting. Apple lost more share than RIM to Android in the latest research.... http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:MSFT
                    Justin Daw
                    RIDGID

Comment

Working...
                    X