DVDPak LCD vs OLED (pics included)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVDPak LCD vs OLED (pics included)

For those of you interested in the new DVDPak monitor, I wanted to give a side by side comparison and explain the differences between the OLED and LCD.

5.7" LCD

This LCD is the same technology you have seen in all our monitors for the last 4 years or so. It produces a very good quality image with a fairly large screen given the compact size of the DVDPak. The resolution of the LCD is 320x240. For quite a few of you this is probably the route to go if you want larger displays.

4.3" OLED

OLED stands for Organic Light Emitting Diode. The OLED is a new technology that offers some big advantages over the LCD in extreme weather conditions. for those of you who have trouble monitoring inspections in extreme cold or heat this is your answer. The OLED display has a comfortable operating range all the way down to -30F and up to 130F. No more sluggish displays in the cold or super dark displays in the heat. While the OLED is smaller than the LCD it offers a higher resolution at 480x270 and slighly better performance in sunlight.

Whichever way you go the DVDPak is really a nice setup. Battery power and high portability in a rugged, weatherized case with highly reliable dvd recording gives the DVDPak some big advantages over the previous generation of DVD monitors.

Sorry if that sounded like marketing... Just wanted to make sure you guys knew the difference between the 2 screen types.

Josh
    Attached Files

Re: DVDPak LCD vs OLED (pics included)

Josh:

I have had my Archos 704 in the field here in Phx. for over two years now. During that time I have used it in temps. down to freezing and hot enough (way over 130) that I don't want to hold the thing (like when it's been in the back of the truck today with ambient at 106 deg.).

I have never noticed any difference in the display (LCD). Don't know about youse guys in North Dakota though...never been that cold.

Did you guys actually get some feedback from users about these issues? Or are you offering an OLED display cuz' it's hip and trendy (like the cell fone mgfrs. are doing)?

I would be more concerned with the optical drive mechanism hosing up under temp. extremes than I would be with the display. The grease on the worm gears driving the laser and the guide rails will get stiff.

Put a 160G 2.5" HD into the DVD pack, add 802.11 for connectivity and a USB port for thumb drives and knock $1500 off the price - then we'll really have something.

Comment

Has RIDGID stocked up on DVDdirects in case SONY stops producing them?

or should we?

I disliked the vhs/monitor at first because of the weight but have really come to appreciate the vhs reliability when my dvddirect failed to record a couple dvds that had no obvious scratches or scuffs. Thankfully I was recording on vhs at the same time so I didnt have to redo the work. Now I just record on vhs, transfer at home and mail the dvd.

I say all this knowing darn well that my next monitor will be a DVDPAK. If a hd/usb model hasnt been created by then.

I'll just use the vhs/monitor on big jobs that require a reliable recording method, and the pak for smaller quick inspections that need recording.

Comment

We have customers asking about cold weather monitors. It happens every year at the Pumper Show. I have experienced it first hand after leaving an LCDPak in my car overnight during the winter +5 F when I took it out. The display was really slugish. Its one of the reasons why some customers still buy CRTs every once in a while.

I would assume you store your archos in a warm place right? that probably makes the difference.

Comment

Nope, it pretty much sits in the truck all day (and all night unless I have video on it to scrape off).

Now, it doesn't get all that cold here, but we do get the occasional 25 deg. winter nite.

Heat is the issue here. It caused all manner of problems with tape and transports. And if I leave my DMM out in the sun this time of year, the display will go completely black in 5 min. I believe that this problem has mostly been engineered out of LCD color displays. The only one that I see any change on when hot is the one on my Kyocera 3250 fone. It gets washed out when I bake it (150 deg) in the cab of the truck. Comes right back when I get it down to 100 or so.

I believe you when you say that very cold temps can be an issue. That might be enough reason to pop the extra $$ for OLED provided the DVD drive is still working at that temp...

Comment

It seems to me that having the ability to drop it on a usb drive or dvd would be the optimal setup. Jump drives are getting cheaper (less expensive) by the month and soon will be a disposble item like the dvd disk is. It would certainly be something you could give to your customer, not to mention being handier to put on your computer back at the office.

Sorry this is a little off topic.
            www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
              It seems to me that having the ability to drop it on a usb drive or dvd would be the optimal setup. Jump drives are getting cheaper (less expensive) by the month and soon will be a disposble item like the dvd disk is. It would certainly be something you could give to your customer, not to mention being handier to put on your computer back at the office.

Sorry this is a little off topic.
              They pretty much already are disposable, you can find low cost generic ones at 2GB capacity usually around $5 each. That in itself is almost half the capacity of a single DVD. SD flash cards that will fit in most digital cameras these days already have capacities up to 16 GB, and 32 GB should be out soon. Digital storage is cheap, and it really would make more sense to cut down the size and weight of the unit by going to flash based memory.

Even if they don't want to change the form factor of the device, it would be really easy to retrofit a 2.5" hard drive in the space that DVD drive occupies. That would bring capacity up to a possible 500 GB (around 100 DVDs worth of storage). If there's room for a 3.5" hard drive, that goes up to 2 TB with current hardware.

Comment

When will the DVDPak be hitting the stores?

Comment

How does the display do in sunlight without a shade around it?
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The OLED does better than our other LCD Monitors. Havent had the LCD version of the DVDPak out in the sun yet.

The design of the flip up screen should allow a hood to easily slide over it similar to what the old Color Video Toolcase did for those super bright situations.

Josh

Comment

You guys will be seeing a launch notification real soon. We are actually starting to ship against some back order we have that we should be out of pretty quickly. So short answer is... depends on which distributor you are using.

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
                      When will the DVDPak be hitting the stores?

Comment

My local Fergusons has the OLED (4.3") DVDPAK on sale and in stock.

Comment

when joey goes there in 2 weeks. i don't want a t shirt.

i want a dvdpack

how much money will she need

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            when joey goes there in 2 weeks. i don't want a t shirt.

i want a dvdpack

how much money will she need

rick.

Your special price for the R33203 is $2,849 + Va. tax. That includes a free Ferguson jacket

I'll throw in a dinner at OYA at no charge
                            www.oyadc.com

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                              Your special price for the R33203 is $2,849 + Va. tax. That includes a free Ferguson jacket

I'll throw in a dinner at OYA at no charge
                              www.oyadc.com
                              bill, i'm a little worried that the dinner is more expensive than the dvd pack

mine is already on order from our trade show in june.

but that won't stop joey from going to dinner and she's always cold, so the jacket will work too

p.s. keep her as long as you want, i got work to do

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X