X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• microDrain Challenge List

Guys, I need you guys to help me out with something. At the pumper show we had a ton of interest in the new microDrain SeeSnake camera.

We have tested on quite a few toilets as well as various P-traps. We had a few specific questions come up on applications around pool fittings and some specialized situations.

So here is what I need.

Please post a description of a fitting or situation that we should test the microDrain through.

If possible let me know where to buy the fitting or where in a house/factory/building I would find the challenging turns in.

I will try to put together a big spreadsheet of the test results so that when someone ask can it do this..... I can answer something other than.. "well I dont know what that is but I'll look into it."

So please give me the name of the fitting or system as well as the material to try it through.

Thanks everyone. You guys make a big difference in helping us get you the products you need.

Josh

Re: microDrain Challenge List

2-1.5" Galvanized 90's connected with galvanized pipe. Offset opposite ways of course. And if you're going to set up a test do it in real world conditions. Set it up under a cabinet with a stile in between the doors.

Don't just put two 90's on a piece of pipe sitting on a test bench. We never have to do that.

Heck Josh, take it to your mom's kitchen and get some gunk on it.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 03-02-2009, 12:25 PM.

Comment

send one to me and ill post the results

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
        send one to me and ill post the results
        So, the challege would be getting it back.

Comment

I'll start you off with a couple of easy ones, Josh

Charlotte Solvent weld P-traps #706-X
          1-1/2" traps on bathtub drains
          2" traps on laundry standpipes

Charlotte #820 4"x3" PVC offset flange with a low flow toilet sitting on top

Lead bends- I guess just being able to identify a lead bend BEFORE plulling a toilet would be a huge help for me

2" cast iron traps on floor drains

The video you posted proves it will go through a toilet trap but was that a 1.6 gpf or 3.5?

How far can it be pushed after the toilet?

Can I do locations with it using a transmitter?

Comment

Hey PCrack, nice avatar
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Keep em coming guys... good list so far.

Josh

BTW... we have had em through both types of toilets... low flow and commercial (sorry if I am using the wrong terms ;-)
              Last edited by Josh; 03-02-2009, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Wall hung toilet

Urinal

1 1/4" sink trap

I'm gonna go ahead and say 1 1/4" trap through 3" in copper, CI , galvanized, PVC and ABS.

Every premade trap you can find

Get a box of 90's and short scraps and make traps and offset traps (homemade traps)

May see if the head can push through 3/4" PEX no fittings (straight runs)
                or 1" with fittings

Okie

Comment

pool fittings are 2" sec 40 puc ,they do not have a long sweep to them
                  so what they would be looking for is to see if the pipe or fitting under a pool leaks or has a brake in it
                  not sure if they would use 1 1/2 pipe
                  but another good use for this tool
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
                    So, the challege would be getting it back.

Actually, I know this was supposed to be funny, but you are exactly right.

The problem IS getting the thing back. When I have gotten a cam stuck, it has ALWAYS been pulling out. The damn things go IN through stuff I would never even think they would...

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                      Wall hung toilet

Urinal

1 1/4" sink trap

I'm gonna go ahead and say 1 1/4" trap through 3" in copper, CI , galvanized, PVC and ABS.

Every premade trap you can find

Get a box of 90's and short scraps and make traps and offset traps (homemade traps)

May see if the head can push through 3/4" PEX no fittings (straight runs)
                      or 1" with fittings

Okie

BE VERY CAREFUL USING A CAM IN A POTABLE LINE THAT HAS EVER BEEN IN A SEWER.

Sick customers are rarely repeat customers. They might get friendly with an attorney.

Comment

Floor mount urinal
                        West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                        Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Tub trap though the overflow and out into the line. Do this with it installed in a tub. Same thing but with an installation where the trap is not directly below the overflow; some of them tee with the horizontal from the drain and continue horizontal before then turning down and hitting the trap.

2 pressure 90's a foot apart with a few feet ahead and behind them in 1 1/2" and 2" (hot tub stores should have them).

Washer box.

1 1/2" and 2" cast iron floor drain through the trap.

back to back double vanities and tubs done with a double san-t, not a wye or figure 5.
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                            Tub trap though the overflow and out into the line. Do this with it installed in a tub. Same thing but with an installation where the trap is not directly below the overflow; some of them tee with the horizontal from the drain and continue horizontal before then turning down and hitting the trap.

i agree i would like to add tubs are typically 1.5'' and showers are 2''.

mid 70's and earlier are durham/ (cast iron threaded traps.)

2 pressure 90's a foot apart with a few feet ahead and behind them in 1 1/2" and 2" (hot tub stores should have them).

i rather doubt that any camera will take the short turn of a pressure fitting/ water fitting. the inside of the 90 is not a radius. sure it would be nice. but i doubt that it's feasible.

although i've had real good luck with my mini seesnake inside of 1.5'' pvc with 45 turns on a large koi pond. 90's are out of the question.

Washer box.

typically a 2'' trap;/ same as a shower is suppose to be.

1 1/2" and 2" cast iron floor drain through the trap.

both no hub and durham.

back to back double vanities and tubs done with a double san-t, not a wye or figure 5.
                            i doubt that any camera will negotiate a double san tee. although we can run the camera into 1 drain and stop at the tee to see the cable and hope it goes down.

i doubt this new micro camera will replace our everyday seesnakes. i believe this will be an add on camera to accompany our assortment of cameras.

as long as i can get through a toilet, and a trap, i'll be happy. anything beyond that and i'll be thrilled.

i know that originally we asked for a camera that can do a toilet. now we want a camera to do the impossible

a camera that can do it all will make someone a lot of money. any ideas let me know first

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Vance G View Post
                              BE VERY CAREFUL USING A CAM IN A POTABLE LINE THAT HAS EVER BEEN IN A SEWER.

Sick customers are rarely repeat customers. They might get friendly with an attorney.
                              I'm sure there are folks who have deep pockets and may be interested in having one for the potable side...

Sewer to drinking water pipes no way, no how...

Comment

Working...
                              X