Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

microDrain loop comparison

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • microDrain loop comparison

    Just wanted to show what the turning radius on the microDrain cable was like in comparison to the mini. For this years roundup I am going to probably have a contest. Something along the lines of if you can damage the microDrain cable by hand I will give you something... still thinking. This stuff is tough stuff.





    [IMG]file:///C:/WINNT/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.jpg[/IMG]
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Re: microDrain loop comparison

    josh, you know i'm up to all challenges.

    back in apprenticeship school, the rep came in with the vinyl shower pan liners. said you couldn't tear it of course you can, so i did

    or the time at the trade show when the rep said the hdpe mechanical couplings are not removable

    so instead of the $100 bet i won i had him take me to lunch

    not that i want to break a push rod

    i know if you put the challenge out there, i will do it

    lets say i break it, i keep it you bought it

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: microDrain loop comparison

      Josh are you saying the cable on the MicroDrain is virtually unkinkable?

      I work with a guy we nicknamed 'Gorilla Paws'. He holds the company record for the most SeeSnake kinks requiring retermination. (3)

      Should I bring him to the Roundup

      Will this type of cable be available on the other SeeSnake reels in the future?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: microDrain loop comparison

        Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        Josh are you saying the cable on the MicroDrain is virtually unkinkable?

        I work with a guy we nicknamed 'Gorilla Paws'. He holds the company record for the most SeeSnake kinks requiring retermination. (3)

        Should I bring him to the Roundup

        Will this type of cable be available on the other SeeSnake reels in the future?
        bill in the hundreds/ possibly thousands of camera inspections i've done since feb. 1996 i've never broken a push rod.

        i feel if you paid for it, you wouldn't break it

        as far as this being applied to the new camera cables. i would say no. the cable is flexible for a reason. too much flex and you can't push out.

        now if they made a cable that is inflatable with air to adjust the stiffness, then you could have the best of both worlds

        remember who thought of this first

        i'll be waiting for royalty checks in the mail

        rick.
        phoebe it is

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: microDrain loop comparison

          I agree with Rick, if your paying for the repairs you take better care of the equipment. I too have 100s of inspections under my belt with zero casualties. I would estimate Brenda has done a 100 or more, also without a problem and she's just a girl.

          Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

          I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: microDrain loop comparison

            That is awesome. Can't wait to get my hands on one and put it to the test.
            Jay
            Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid
            Coptool - Power Tool Blog

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: microDrain loop comparison

              Rick the pressurized air trick sounds like a good idea. But wouldn't it be easier to develope cable that when voltage is applied it can adjust the stiffness. Dial it up for stiffer and down for more flex.

              I'm sure that technology is already available

              Imagine having just one reel that could do ALL camera inspections

              That one is free

              Have the Ridgid engineers call me...I have a dozen more

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: microDrain loop comparison

                Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                Rick the pressurized air trick sounds like a good idea. But wouldn't it be easier to develope cable that when voltage is applied it can adjust the stiffness. Dial it up for stiffer and down for more flex.

                I'm sure that technology is already available
                You saw this in the new Batman movie

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: microDrain loop comparison

                  Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  now if they made a cable that is inflatable with air to adjust the stiffness, then you could have the best of both worlds
                  Would it help to have just the first few feet flexible, and the rest of it stiffer? That way the start could navigate some of the turns etc., but would have some "oomph" so you aren't just pushing on a string when you get farther out.

                  Thinking back to pulling wires in my house, it is usually easier to get something bigger to follow a small leader through a tight hole/turn than to get it to go by itself in the first place.

                  It wouldn't do everything a microdrain would do, but maybe it would do enough to still be useful.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: microDrain loop comparison

                    Josh,
                    what's the diameter of the microDrain push rod?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: microDrain loop comparison

                      yep cpw 100%

                      but that is kind of already what you have with seesnake; spring leader is much more flexible than pushrod.
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: microDrain loop comparison

                        hey just found out from an earlier post. cable diameter is 0.33"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: microDrain loop comparison

                          Originally posted by cpw View Post
                          Would it help to have just the first few feet flexible, and the rest of it stiffer? That way the start could navigate some of the turns etc., but would have some "oomph" so you aren't just pushing on a string when you get farther out.

                          Thinking back to pulling wires in my house, it is usually easier to get something bigger to follow a small leader through a tight hole/turn than to get it to go by itself in the first place.

                          It wouldn't do everything a microdrain would do, but maybe it would do enough to still be useful.

                          the front always has to have some flex to navigate the tight turns.

                          if the rest of the cable is too flexible, then it will snake in the line. sure a small diameter line is ok for a flexible rod, but a larger line requires a stiffer cable.

                          believe it or not, the k-60 7/8'' cable is the best of both. it's flexible to get through the small diameter turns, but also stiff enough to cut into the big stuff.

                          as camera technology progresses, so does the rest of the system. i think josh and the guys working on this are always trying to stay 1 step ahead of the competition and stay cutting edge. their products seem to work better than everyone's else.

                          josh is working hard to perfect what we as plumbers and drain cleaners require. i have no doubt that the products that come out of the factory will always keep us in aah

                          i looked up my original seesnake purchase from feb 1996. i still have the camera and accessories. it works fine, but the refinements in the camera, pushrod, locators, electronics, monitors are incredible.

                          don't want to think what it use to be to locate your camera and get an accurate depth. today a novice with 10 minutes of hands on can master it.

                          keep up the good work, josh and company

                          rick.
                          phoebe it is

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: microDrain loop comparison

                            Originally posted by Josh View Post
                            You saw this in the new Batman movie
                            Not so far off. DARPA is using this technology for guided bullets that uses the same concept.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: microDrain loop comparison

                              Hey I've seen a few push rods cut right through by a sawzall. Rookies cutting pipes before they pulled the camera out.
                              ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X