X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• microDrain loop comparison

Just wanted to show what the turning radius on the microDrain cable was like in comparison to the mini. For this years roundup I am going to probably have a contest. Something along the lines of if you can damage the microDrain cable by hand I will give you something... still thinking. This stuff is tough stuff.

[IMG]file:///C:/WINNT/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.jpg[/IMG]
    Attached Files

Re: microDrain loop comparison

josh, you know i'm up to all challenges.

back in apprenticeship school, the rep came in with the vinyl shower pan liners. said you couldn't tear it of course you can, so i did

or the time at the trade show when the rep said the hdpe mechanical couplings are not removable

so instead of the $100 bet i won i had him take me to lunch

not that i want to break a push rod

i know if you put the challenge out there, i will do it

lets say i break it, i keep it you bought it

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Josh are you saying the cable on the MicroDrain is virtually unkinkable?

I work with a guy we nicknamed 'Gorilla Paws'. He holds the company record for the most SeeSnake kinks requiring retermination. (3)

Should I bring him to the Roundup

Will this type of cable be available on the other SeeSnake reels in the future?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        Josh are you saying the cable on the MicroDrain is virtually unkinkable?

I work with a guy we nicknamed 'Gorilla Paws'. He holds the company record for the most SeeSnake kinks requiring retermination. (3)

Should I bring him to the Roundup

Will this type of cable be available on the other SeeSnake reels in the future?
        bill in the hundreds/ possibly thousands of camera inspections i've done since feb. 1996 i've never broken a push rod.

i feel if you paid for it, you wouldn't break it

as far as this being applied to the new camera cables. i would say no. the cable is flexible for a reason. too much flex and you can't push out.

now if they made a cable that is inflatable with air to adjust the stiffness, then you could have the best of both worlds

remember who thought of this first

i'll be waiting for royalty checks in the mail

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I agree with Rick, if your paying for the repairs you take better care of the equipment. I too have 100s of inspections under my belt with zero casualties. I would estimate Brenda has done a 100 or more, also without a problem and she's just a girl.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

That is awesome. Can't wait to get my hands on one and put it to the test.
            Jay
            Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid
            Coptool - Power Tool Blog

Comment

Rick the pressurized air trick sounds like a good idea. But wouldn't it be easier to develope cable that when voltage is applied it can adjust the stiffness. Dial it up for stiffer and down for more flex.

I'm sure that technology is already available

Imagine having just one reel that could do ALL camera inspections

That one is free

Have the Ridgid engineers call me...I have a dozen more

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                Rick the pressurized air trick sounds like a good idea. But wouldn't it be easier to develope cable that when voltage is applied it can adjust the stiffness. Dial it up for stiffer and down for more flex.

I'm sure that technology is already available
                You saw this in the new Batman movie

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  now if they made a cable that is inflatable with air to adjust the stiffness, then you could have the best of both worlds
                  Would it help to have just the first few feet flexible, and the rest of it stiffer? That way the start could navigate some of the turns etc., but would have some "oomph" so you aren't just pushing on a string when you get farther out.

Thinking back to pulling wires in my house, it is usually easier to get something bigger to follow a small leader through a tight hole/turn than to get it to go by itself in the first place.

It wouldn't do everything a microdrain would do, but maybe it would do enough to still be useful.

Comment

Josh,
                    what's the diameter of the microDrain push rod?

Comment

yep cpw 100%

but that is kind of already what you have with seesnake; spring leader is much more flexible than pushrod.
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

hey just found out from an earlier post. cable diameter is 0.33"

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                          Would it help to have just the first few feet flexible, and the rest of it stiffer? That way the start could navigate some of the turns etc., but would have some "oomph" so you aren't just pushing on a string when you get farther out.

Thinking back to pulling wires in my house, it is usually easier to get something bigger to follow a small leader through a tight hole/turn than to get it to go by itself in the first place.

It wouldn't do everything a microdrain would do, but maybe it would do enough to still be useful.

the front always has to have some flex to navigate the tight turns.

if the rest of the cable is too flexible, then it will snake in the line. sure a small diameter line is ok for a flexible rod, but a larger line requires a stiffer cable.

believe it or not, the k-60 7/8'' cable is the best of both. it's flexible to get through the small diameter turns, but also stiff enough to cut into the big stuff.

as camera technology progresses, so does the rest of the system. i think josh and the guys working on this are always trying to stay 1 step ahead of the competition and stay cutting edge. their products seem to work better than everyone's else.

josh is working hard to perfect what we as plumbers and drain cleaners require. i have no doubt that the products that come out of the factory will always keep us in aah

i looked up my original seesnake purchase from feb 1996. i still have the camera and accessories. it works fine, but the refinements in the camera, pushrod, locators, electronics, monitors are incredible.

don't want to think what it use to be to locate your camera and get an accurate depth. today a novice with 10 minutes of hands on can master it.

keep up the good work, josh and company

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                            You saw this in the new Batman movie
                            Not so far off. DARPA is using this technology for guided bullets that uses the same concept.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Hey I've seen a few push rods cut right through by a sawzall. Rookies cutting pipes before they pulled the camera out.
                              ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Working...
                              X