X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• p-trap maze for the microDrain - Question

I have a little project I am going to try to work on in the next 2 days. We have our roadshow going on and I want to put together a little maze for the microDrain to navigate just to show how well it navigates traps.

My thinking is to daizy chain Four 1 1/2" p traps together and strap the maze to a piece of plywood. I may do the same with 1 1/4" as well.

So here is the Question. How hard would it be to build something like this? If I headed out to HD or Lowes at lunch time Tuesday should I be able to just buy 4 traps and a few couplings??

Right now we have the toilet on the roadshow vans but I wanted to put something together similar to what we have at our other shows to show off what it can do in small lines.

Josh

Re: p-trap maze for the microDrain - Question

You probably need St. 90's for the entrances on the second trap and all afterwards if I understand your plan correctly.

J.C.

Comment

.....or you could just install a short piece of pipe between each trap. I am assuming you are not going to set the traps true to their seal?

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I think he is making a demo for the roundup.
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

should be able to put four p trap kits together fairly easily. Maybe two hole straps to the plywood.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            .....or you could just install a short piece of pipe between each trap. I am assuming you are not going to set the traps true to their seal?

Mark
            I agree that would be the easiest way to do it. Mounting it would be the hardest part. What I would do is create a platform and then a few mounted vertical pieces to hold it up. You would just need to have some brackets at the bottom so as to hold it secure. If I where you I would us a clear pipe if you can find it.

Comment

Four p-traps, 3 St. 90's, 10 two hole straps like Easy said, clear pipe between traps, (doesn't have to be glued ).

Strap it all GOOD at the turns on plywood. I'd maybe attach a Ridgid Microdrain banner on the plywood first.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Im off to depot with the wife and kids. Ill but 4 traps some st 90s and whatever else I think I'll need. The trick will be finding the time to put er together tomorrow. My flight takes off at 6 am Wednesday so only 1 day to pull this off.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                  Im off to depot with the wife and kids. Ill but 4 traps some st 90s and whatever else I think I'll need. The trick will be finding the time to put er together tomorrow. My flight takes off at 6 am Wednesday so only 1 day to pull this off.

Josh
                  Sounds like you need a plumber...

Buy all the stuff you need after you get to the show and have the first licensed attendee put it all together. Then buy that person lunch (at least) or give him a free micro.

Comment

I bought...

- 6 - 1 1/2" P-traps (Solvent Weld)
                    - 4 - 1 1/2" 90s
                    - 10' stick of 1 1/2" sch 40

Not sure what all of that I will use but I should be able to build something interesting out of it.

I used my phone a friend while I was there to get advice on how to glue em together. Rick convinced me to buy the combo pack with the purple cleaner.

I'll try to get into work early tomorrow and see what I can build. I'll put the pics and maybe a video up as soon as I can.

Josh

Comment

josh, remember how i told you to watch out for the pvc cutter as it bites.

so does a razor knife

i'll post the photos separately

the purpose of the primer for your project is to show off the joints with the contrasting purple rings.

also we all want to see how clean of a joint you can glue

remember that gravity plays a role in the primer application.

see you soon

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Finished my maze and I was able to get through 2 back to back P-traps in PVC type 1 SCH 40 (I always though pvc was smooth inside .. I guess thats plastic tubing) Still works well anyways...

Pics and vid to come later.

Josh

Comment

Here's a pic. 2 traps aint easy but doable. The first trap is like butter but making the final turn out of the last trap hangs a little because of reduced leverage.

Probably not a situation you will run into much in real life but still shows some of the cameras performance.

Josh
                          Attached Files

Comment

Used up the rest of my fittings to make this. Seems to be a bit more realistic in what you would run into. Can zip through this one. The 2 p-traps takes more work.

Josh
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                              Used up the rest of my fittings to make this. Seems to be a bit more realistic in what you would run into. Can zip through this one. The 2 p-traps takes more work.

Josh
                              Are you properly licensed for that work?

Keep in mind you are running through the trap backwards which might be a little work to begin with.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X