X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Josh's Drains - Videos included

My bathroom sink drain had been slow for a long time. I knew it was packed with nasty junk so I pulled off the p-trap and found this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Ey2KYbtvo

I took out my trusty quick spin and worked on the drain for a while. The first time I put the camera in (microDrain) There was still quite a bit of junk on the walls. Check out how the camera shaves the goo off the sides of the pipe. (plastic 1 1/4" tube).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H30ZKCU_PPE

So I cleaned it a bit more and put the camera back in to find what looks like a sloppy tie in to the old system. I'm not sure this is proper the way it was set up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQHOEMr4Kck

So I put everything back together and found that the line was plugged just as bad. I plunged with my hand and it pushed very thing on out. runs fine now but doesnt look like the drain was plumbed right???

Then as a bonus I put the microDrain through my toilet (without ball guide). Its an American Standard from 20+ years ago. No string trick needed for the trap. Tried to go a little slow to see what we were looking at as we went through. Couldnt get the camera to drop down the stack when I got to it and didnt feel like messing around to make it down there. Still an interesting vid though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZhaUi4efjM

See anything interesting in these vids? Any poorly installed plumbing?

Josh

Re: Josh's Drains - Videos included

Note to self: Bring level to Roundup.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

That good ey...

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      Note to self: Bring level to Roundup.

Mark

Comment

i know whos van i'll be riding in at the roundup

hope helen knows a good apple pie recipe

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Josh if you have some spare time I would like you to check out my drains please.................. I know fat chance..........

Comment

I saw a few things interesting...

Run the k-50 (not that silly spinner) through that lavy drain with a spearhead. Rinse and repeat. Then, run the MicroDrain again to get a better look at the piping. It might be OK, hard to tell from what you posted. I'll bet the vent is stopped up now that you plunged it

The closet bend looks to be back pitched a little. Not much really, maybe 1" at the most. Just enough to cover the camera head. The connection from copper to the cast iron looked questionable to me. Didn't get a good look at it. Right about the 1:20 mark of the last vid.

I'm guessing the house is approaching a hundred years old? Looked like a 3" x 3" x 4" cast iron sanitary tee. This would also explain the standing water in the copper.

Comment

That microdrain is awesome.

When I look at that video it makes me think of all the times I could have used it to show customers that there is no blockage in the commode.

It would effectively answer these questions:

Should we replace the commode?

Are you sure there isn't something in the commode?

Why do we have to plunge it every time we use it?

Its hard for people to believe that they could possibly be stopping the commode up with their toilet paper and giant turds.

No longer would they have to take my word for it.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

The lav vid looks to me like down is to lower left; if so the line out is pretty obvious. Hard to say what's going on with the piping with all the gunk still in there; could well be a regular san - t with a bunch of crud pushed up into the vent. Fill the sink up to the brim, then let it run out. Do you get a gurgle, like burping sounds at the end?
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

KWEL videos Josh!!

That microdrain would make a great Fathers day gift for many plumbers
                  Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                  New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

The danger with getting something so expensive for Father's day is that it sets a very high bar for Mother's day.

Comment

We always needed to match the bar set by diamonds. I'm definently buying one.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Y'know, it's refreshing to see "actual" on this because when you see a piping system that's basically clean, it does not dictate the reality of what we see every day.

Seeing all that gunk at the end of that trap arm is very common. Seen it too many times to know that the piping arrangement does eventually become that and causes issues like that.

I must say, I was just about to eat liver and onions as I played those first couple videos. I was a little queazy after I did that.
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

The new Drain inspection diet plan

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                          Y'know, it's refreshing to see "actual" on this because when you see a piping system that's basically clean, it does not dictate the reality of what we see every day.

Seeing all that gunk at the end of that trap arm is very common. Seen it too many times to know that the piping arrangement does eventually become that and causes issues like that.

I must say, I was just about to eat liver and onions as I played those first couple videos. I was a little queazy after I did that.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                            The danger with getting something so expensive for Father's day is that it sets a very high bar for Mother's day.

That's why you get it for her for mothers day.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                              That's why you get it for her for mothers day.
                              I just bought my wife one of the new "Easy Start" Echo weed wackers for mothers day...

She was not very happy for some reason

I told her it had to be better then the Electric can opener she recieved last year... That made her even madder about the weed wacker

Okie

Comment

Working...
                              X