X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• microDrain

I have been testing the microDrain for a while now and I have to say I am very impressed with this thing. The one I am using is configured to be used with the microExplorer. So far I have used it to take videos and stills of water closet traps, rain gutter down spouts, dryer vents, styrene yard drains, roof drains, overflow drains and sanitary vents. A lot of this work has been in multi-million dollar condos where I have been able to do non-invasive testing which has saved tens of thousands of dollars over doing destructive testing.

An example of time saving while using this, I was told an overflow drain below a helipad on a high rise was backed up. Rather than taking a full size SeeSnake up to the roof, I grabbed the microDrain with microExplorer attached and went up to the roof in one lightweight package. Ten minutes later I found the drain was full of construction debris and had a video to prove it. It's not that I couldn't have used my full size SeeSnake but in the time it would have taken to see which drain they were concerned about I already was done with my documentation.

As for inspecting water closet traps I am 100% so far except that I did have to use string to make it through a Kohler San Rafael lowboy water closet. The truth of the matter is I am not sure it is really that important to make it all the way though the horn. If you are looking for a GI Joe stuck in the water closet, you will find it whether you make it past the horn or not.

Mark
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 05-29-2009, 02:24 PM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: microDrain

i better check and make sure joey didn't give you that too

time to let baxter sleep in my truck.

the micro and explorer are fit for eachother.

you have an all in 1 video package for a reasonable price and it's ultra portable.

it will also go nice with my dvd pack with battery pack

hope to get it soon

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I have about the same results as Mark. Most toilets can be passed through the horn with a little work. About 10%, I can get all the way up to the horn but not past it. I figure if it takes me more time to work it through the horn than to pull the toilet off the floor, then where's the savings?

Honestly, it has outperformed my expectations. Here's a couple of examples of it's value: 12 unit condo building in the final stages of a complete remodel. Just before any owners take possession, I go in and inspect each toilet (24 in all). I'm in and out under 4 hours. Found construction debris in 3 units that would have lead to a nuisance stoppage shortly after tenants move in. I call it construction debris but it was really just coffee cups, candy wrappers and someone forgetting to remove the plastic cover off the wax ring.

A customer wants to replace her Kohler Bisque toilet that is only 2 years old. Ever since it was installed she has had chronic stoppage issues with it. Plumber comes out, runs the auger, gets paid and is back again 3 weeks later. I run the MicroDrain and find the toilet is fine. The installer broke off the old cast iron closet flange and left part of it in the bend. It's now adhered itself to the wall of the cast iron. An hour later I'm able to retrieve the broken piece and reset the toilet. No new toilet needed.

I am really surprised to see how much crap there is in sewers that isn't crap or toilet paper.

My full size SeeSnake Plus is starting to collect dust since I have been using the MicroDrain. If I didn't already have a 2 other cameras, this would be a good one to start with without a huge investment. It's going to be a big seller for sure.

If anyone wants to see some vids of what it can do, let me know and I'll post some up on YouTube.

~Bill

Comment

Thanks for the offer Bill but I'll make your job even easier. Ridgid can send me a microdrain and I'll found out what it can do personally. That way, you don't have to inconvience yourself. No thanks needed. I'm only thinking of you and not the microdrain with this offer.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          Thanks for the offer Bill but I'll make your job even easier. Ridgid can send me a microdrain and I'll found out what it can do personally. That way, you don't have to inconvience yourself. No thanks needed. I'm only thinking of you and not the microdrain with this offer.
          Hey!!!
          Shouldn't you be driving.Eyes on the road please.
          Both hands on the wheel,10:00 and 2:00.

Comment

Put me in for a "tested Micro". % off of course.

J.C.

(P.S. Do we call Bills Micro Drain a WMD?)

Comment

I will be more then happy to write the check for one now

I will even write my reviews and thoughts.

What a deal, I will pay to be a tester

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                I will be more then happy to write the check for one now

I will even write my reviews and thoughts.

What a deal, I will pay to be a tester
                Bill, get with the program. Don't screw this up for me and JC.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Just remember the proto types are used to find all of the flaws. The production models are after any and all flaws are hopefully found. The production microExplorer is much improved over the proto type microExplorer.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    Just remember the proto types are used to find all of the flaws. The production models are after any and all flaws are hopefully found. The production microExplorer is much improved over the proto type microExplorer.

Mark
                    That should make the prototypes go for about $150.00 then.

J.C.

Comment

guys, the prototypes get sent back to ridgid after the testing period.

we don't get to keep them. just use and abuse them.

now if ridgid made a plunger, i would be 1 of only a few testers as the rest of you don't believe in them

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

now if ridgid made a plunger, i would be 1 of only a few testers as the rest of you don't believe in them

rick.

If Ridgid is counting for future testers, I use plungers too.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

rick.

WE! You too!?!?

J.C.

Comment

rick.
                            We use plungers

Comment

Ive been testing a microdrain with the explorer also. It is a great tool, as it has saved and made me money. I have used it on downspouts, storm drains, vents and lots of other uses. It really helped me yesterday. I was n a estimate to run gutter drains and tie into the storm sewer in the backyard by an area drain. It was about 3 feet deep, and i could not see which direction it flowed . My partner figured on tying in right by the area drain.i got out the microdrain and slid it down, finding a cap on one end of tee , which meant no tap on that side, so 2 minutes saved the excavator a big hole. I use it alot. In instances no other camera can do, it rocks !!!!!! I have camerad sump pump discharges-1-1/2 " with no problem, drains under 2" , roofdrains through small hatches that would suck dragging my fullsize up., vent pipe, washing machine stacks, shower drains, and lots of other uses. If you never used a microexplorer, you are cheating yourself out of a great tool. Get out of the stone age and buy a great tool!!! Has ridge tool ever let you down???? If you have had the pleasure of meeting the video inspection crew, you would know how dedicated they are to their line of tools. Im sure there is a lot of great products in the pipeline for the future and cant wait. My microdrain is a quick way of looking around and a great way to inspect small lines. Do yourself a favor and try it!!!!

Also, i still think you guys that begged for a camera to pass a toilet trap are just bored and out of work. I have never needed , nor will i ever need to camera a toilet!! Even if you can look at the giant terd, is your camera going to have an adapter to transform it to a closet auger?????? Sure, you will tape a hook on it and waste time and scratch the hell outta the bowl!!!!!! Meanwhile the efficient plumber pulls the toilet and snakes it backwards to push it back out the way it came in and not a scratchy left!!!!! I hear some guys speak of it and wonder how big the voids are on their schedules!!!!!!!!!!!

My microdrain and explorer combo makeds my job easier. Pics and video are great, clear and transfer well--matter of fact i will try to post some pics tonite!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X