X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• microDrain Applications List

Ok... now that we have some folks out there using the microDrain I wanted to start a thread listing out applications you have used the tool on and if you used any tricks (ball guide, string trick, etc.) Helpful things to list would be toilet traps you have made it through and how you got them through (no ball guide, ball guide, ball guide and string, etc.)

Field testers feel free to start posting your experiences...

I'll start with the videos I made the other day in my house...

1) American Standard 1.6GPF Toilet Trap (no ball guide)
    2) 1 1/4" sink drain lines (not sure what all I ran into... see video)

Other things I have tested at work... These were all dry test pipes

4) 1 1/2" cast iron no hub p-trap (used hand sanitizer as lube)
    5) 1 1/2" pvc - ptrap, 90, 45, 90, 90, 90, 90
    6) Back to Back 1 1/2" PVC p-traps (hand sanitizer as lube)
    7) Kohler 1.6 GPF Toilet Trap (ball guide)
    8) Glacier Bay 1.6 ??? (I think - toilet at pumper show)
    9) 3 other (different) toilet traps I need to check into the brand and model of (Toilets in Ridge Tool bathrooms)

I did run into a toilet on the 4th floor at Ridge Tool that was an old low profile American Standard that I couldnt make it through. I Didnt try the string trick though... this was early on. My guess is that we would make it through using string.

Josh

Re: microDrain Applications List

I use the MicroDrain with the Explorer setup. This is the best for ease and portablity. Entire drain and sewers can have full color video just by accessing through a toilet, shower or even a waste and overflow on a bathtub.

I've kept a running log of most of the toilets that the MicrDrain was used on. (does that sound a little geek-ish?)

I graded each using a difficulty scale 1 through 5. Number 1 being easy passage and 5 being extremely difficult or unable to get past horn. I never spent more than 5 or 6 minutes trying to pass. After a few uses, you can tell it's just not going to happen. Sucessful in maybe 80% on first push. The rest were a struggle. I think that would be greatly improved now that I know about the PVC pipe apparatus.

To date, I have run it through maybe 50-60 toilets. My expectations and results were a little surprising to me....I would have thought that the newer low flow (1.6gpf) toilets would be a real challenge but this is not the case so far with me. Most older toilets have larger passageways and many have 'hard corners' to trap the camera head. I've found it easier to pass without ballguides

This is just a partial list I'll post more later:

(make) (model) (gph) (age) (difficulty level) (Y or N w/ball guide) (notes)

Kohler Memoirs (1.6) (2001) (4) (N)
    Amer Stand Cadet El (Canadian Model) (3.5) (1996) (5) (N)
    Gerber Maxwell 1.5 (2005) (3) (N)
    Amer Stand Cadet (3.5+) (1955) (4) (N)
    Kohler Rialto 1 pc (3.5) (1985) (5) (Y) never passed through horn but came close
    Glacier Bay (1.6) (2007) (1) (N)
    Kohler (unknown) (3.5) (1977) (5) (Y) never passed horn but found several crevises that trapped debris, jewelry, coins. (I could see treasure but couldn't remove it )
    Kohler Highline (1.6) (2001) (2) (N)
    Ferguson ProFlo (1.6) (2009) (1) (N)
    Western ? (1.6) (2004) (2) (N)
    American Stand Plebe (reverse trap w/flush ell) (5 gpf) (1927) (3) (N)

On the advice of Mark and others I've tried the String Theory on ones I couldn't pass. This gave me only a marginal improvement. On 2 occasions the camera doubled back on me and got stuck on the horn. Tried pulling and pushing but didn't want to kink the spring or damage the camera. Ended up pulling the toilet to release it. Explaining to the customer why I'm pulling her toilet when I should have been replacing the tub faucet took some smoothing over. I shove it in toilets and pipes I'm not even working on just because it's fun to use

Can't wait to hear other reviews

Comment

what was amazing was when i was testing it and couldn't get through a toto drake 1.6gpf toilet.

we called the head engineer and within a 1/2 hour, they went and purchased the toto drake, had it back in their off and determined that it required the ball guide.

this was so new only a couple of ball guides existed and we didn't have one at the time

so the credit goes to all the people who have worked on this project and brought it to life.

who knows what we'll ask for at the next roundup, but i have some ideas

bill/ crack, great list and documentation you got there

have you also worked at the watergate hotel

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Crack... trying to understand your rating system... I assume the difficulty rating is 1-5 right? So were these the 3 you couldn't get through.

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        Amer Stand Cadet El (Canadian Model) (3.5) (1996) (5) (N)
        Kohler Rialto 1 pc (3.5) (1985) (5) (Y) never passed through horn but came
        Kohler (unknown) (3.5) (1977) (5) (Y) never passed horn but found several
        Also... brings up the question.. how often do these companies change their traps. Or is it a difference in models for the most part.

We have found that you cant say it makes it through XXX brand. One year is like butter the next has hang up points that make it more difficult.

Great list though Crack... You are definitely on my permanent list for field testers.

Josh

Comment

Sorry Josh, should have been more clear on that. I'm not great at making spreadsheets

The Y & N was whether I HAD to use a ball guide to get through. I always try without one first. I made it through all of those above at least far enought to see the horn clearly. Once through the horn it's usually clear sailing from there.

This one tool has opened up a whole new approach for revenue that wasn't there a just few months ago. Cudos to Josh and the staff at Ridgid

EDIT: I mistakingly posted the Kohler Memoirs with a difficulty of 4 it's actually a 1 (can't read my own scribbles)
          Last edited by plumberscrack; 05-30-2009, 01:40 PM.

Comment

mine has made me some good money!!!

sump pump discharges
            vent piping--found large nest
            roof drains
            floor drains
            shower drains
            downspouts and landscaper improperly installed yard drains
            san. sewers
            storm sewers
            sink drains
            tub drains
            very quick use camera helps me win bids, since im the only plumber that looks in the ground before i quote so i can send pics with my quote--makes me look good
            footer tile--used it to dtermine where all the rock came from that has killed a sump pump every 6 months for 6 years!!!!! yes--a "jack of all trades"" told the customer that they had really hard water and a broken crock!!???--i was there for 15 minutes and showed them the trail of gravel and the broken pipe outside the house and guess who is digging it up on monday!!!!!!!!!!
            do yourself a favor and get this supertool!!!

Comment

I`m tring to buy up a lot of plumbing tools by the end of the tax year, and have tried to look at this Micro drain camera. A few of the uses, I can be seen using are through the toilet pan blockage, floorwaste drains in apartment buildings. But I`m thinking this tool might be useful for locating water leaks in pool piping. Most pool piping is 40mm - 50mm in our Oz land down under, so I`m thinking this mini sized camera could easily fit and be pushed up this size drain to actually see water turbulence surronding a split/ crack in the pvc pipe. Otherwise I would have to put a trace rod into the poolpipe, locate where the pipe is then use our leak detector listen for the noise.
              Do you think this is a possibility ?

Comment

rr, the camera is great for straight runs and for 45 degree pvc water fittings. remember that pvc water/ pressure fittings are tight turn. a 90 is too sharp a bend to get the camera and cable through on small pipe.

so yes the micro will work until you hit a 90 on a pvc non directional pressure fitting like a sch.40 we use here.

now if you can get a string pulled or blown through the pipe, then i think you'll be able to pull and push around the 90

a few years back i did a koi pond that was 190' from the pump house to the pond. it had a few sch. 40 , 1.5'' 45's

need me to come by and demo it for you

i'll even bring my pipe freezer for you

josh, want to go in case i need help

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I need to see if I can get some of the guys from Ridge Tool Europe posting about their experiences with 40mm 90s. I know we have some pics and some experiences on them. I am almost positive 90s in 40mm are not a problem but I want to confirm that before I give you an absolute yes.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                    I need to see if I can get some of the guys from Ridge Tool Europe posting about their experiences with 40mm 90s. I know we have some pics and some experiences on them. I am almost positive 90s in 40mm are not a problem but I want to confirm that before I give you an absolute yes.

Josh
                    Do you need me to help lure them out of the department stores so they can post?
                    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      rr, the camera is great for straight runs and for 45 degree pvc water fittings. remember that pvc water/ pressure fittings are tight turn. a 90 is too sharp a bend to get the camera and cable through on small pipe.

so yes the micro will work until you hit a 90 on a pvc non directional pressure fitting like a sch.40 we use here.

now if you can get a string pulled or blown through the pipe, then i think you'll be able to pull and push around the 90

a few years back i did a koi pond that was 190' from the pump house to the pond. it had a few sch. 40 , 1.5'' 45's

need me to come by and demo it for you

i'll even bring my pipe freezer for you

josh, want to go in case i need help

rick.
                      Speaking from experience, it isn't the trip out through the 90 that's the problem. It's trying to get back. When you pull back through a water 90, the camera/spring hangs up, you pull harder, the camera spring stretches, the space between the individual coils of the spring get larger, and then you hang up big time on the inside corner of the fitting.

Always. Very scary.

Comment

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=237184

Thanks Rick!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X