X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microdrain and sch. 40 water fittings

so the subject came up on whether or not the microdrain can navigate a sch. 40 water fitting 90.

so i tried it on a mocked up set up.

first i tried the camera without a downstream pipe.

no problem as the spring and camera easily glided through the fitting and out the other side.

the real issue was when the pipe was introduced into the non receding socket.

the water fitting is a tight turn, but the pipe sticking into the socket is the more of the challenge.

then i added a second 90 about 1' away with another downstream pipe.

so it made it through a 2' long 1.5'' sch. 40 abs pipe into a 1.5'' sch 40, 90 and another 1' section with another 90 and 1' section.

sure i was impressed

this means that there's a very good chance that pool lines can now be inspected.

here's some photos to show my little experiment.

rick.

showing the camera through the tight 90. it's the leading edge of the pipe that's the challenge.

the completed set up with 2 90's and piping.

please note nothing is glued, just shoved in all the way and i purposely used abs pipe and pvc 90's to show the contrasting pipe and fitting. makes it easier to see the joints

close up of the tight turn sch 40 pressure 90.

note that the spacer, guide ball is not installed.

it actually does help, but won't fit the 1.5'' pipe. on 2'' it's simple.

most modern pools are 2'' and older pools are 1.5''

so needless to say, i think inspecting pvc pool lines just became easier

can this become another k-60

i'll let you know
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 06-23-2009, 12:41 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Microdrain and sch. 40 water fittings

With all these mini drain camera heads, I got a little confused. I was refering to this camera with 30' camera lead attached and sticking it up the pool pipe. Can it be done?
    Attached Files

Comment

Nope... you will definitely not be able to do it with wand extensions on the EXPLORER. However it gets expensive buying that many extensions anyways. You would be much better off with the microDrain. Plus you are gonna want to locate the camera head anyways when you find the leak.

Originally posted by Root Ranger View Post
      With all these mini drain camera heads, I got a little confused. I was refering to this camera with 30' camera lead attached and sticking it up the pool pipe. Can it be done?
      PLUMBER RICK, you da man. You posted proof of something I was struggling to find time to put together.

THANK YOU!

Josh

Comment

Rick:

When you have the time, get your Mini (preferably B/W if you still have one) and your Micro and post an image of the spring/camera head of both
        of them side-by-side.

What I want to see:

Is the gauge of the spring material they used on the Micro head smaller?
        What does the machined fitting at the "butt end" (where the cable is attached) look like?
        How does the overall length of the spring/camera compare between the two?

These + the cable itself are the determining factors in how this thing will deal with water fittings. I already know the cable is up to the task, even though I wish it were longer.

I have been turning over pool leak work to the divers with hydrophones outfit in town for years. If the Micro actually proved to be usable in this application, I might buy one. Haven't seen any need for it for anything else I do (when I say that, remember, I am NOT a plumber and don't really need the ability to go through toilets and/or small traps).

Thx - I'm sure others would like to see this too...

Comment

I don't have time to do a side by side picture right now but here is the microDrain camera head and spring.

Mark
          Attached Files
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Life is not fair!!!

I want one so bad...but I'm afraid that by next year, they'll have one longer than 30'.

Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Vance G View Post
              Rick:

When you have the time, get your Mini (preferably B/W if you still have one) and your Micro and post an image of the spring/camera head of both
              of them side-by-side.

of course i still have my black and white. i don't sell anything

What I want to see:

Is the gauge of the spring material they used on the Micro head smaller?
              What does the machined fitting at the "butt end" (where the cable is attached) look like?
              How does the overall length of the spring/camera compare between the two?

the micro is a lot smaller wire gauge and so is the overall length. it also has 1 safety wire that allows for approx. 3/4'' of overall spring stretch. i'll have to measure it in the next day or 2. the butt end also has a nice taper so as not to hang up

These + the cable itself are the determining factors in how this thing will deal with water fittings. I already know the cable is up to the task, even though I wish it were longer.

30' should be plenty of cable for a pool as you can access from more than i spot. keep in mind that a bull head tee is a direction gamble if they exist.

2'' should be a breeze as the space ball will easily glide past the raised pipe leading edge

spoke to josh this morning and discussed a possible new guide ball design just for the 1.5'' pipe and fittings.

the whole reason why this is a win, win, is because ridgid uses us and we use them

no other company has a connection to the guys in the field and no one in the field has a connection like us with ridgid and josh amazing interaction with the entire company and it's not just me it's actually anyone that needs it that's what this forum is all about.

I have been turning over pool leak work to the divers with hydrophones outfit in town for years. If the Micro actually proved to be usable in this application, I might buy one. Haven't seen any need for it for anything else I do (when I say that, remember, I am NOT a plumber and don't really need the ability to go through toilets and/or small traps).

Thx - I'm sure others would like to see this too...
              vance, i hear ya

i too was amazed it made the 90 and the pipe end. it opens up a new market for th pool industry. something that was basically off limits to everything.

unfortunately i just got home and don't have the energy to go out and take the photos. so i'll answer your questions the best i can

see my red responses.

rick.

you really need to go to the roundup to meet and see what goes on behind the scenes. not 1 person left last year disappointed. it's like going to willy wonka and the chocolate factory and i was charlie
              phoebe it is

Comment

Rick:

Time? Energy? What are those? Never heard of em....

Anyway, your description helped - a lot. They did what I would have done - decreased the spring wire gauge and spring length. I bet the butt end fitting is different too - that would somewhat alleviate the "pull back" issues.

I already know about the transition to the one wire safety cable with the pig tail loop in it. Got screwed by that on the last 200' Mini cable I ordered and had to "engineer" a workaround (crimped ball end from "old" style cable to "new" style cable - ball on end of new cable too big to fit in retaining split rings).

As far as the crapshoot problem of which way you'll go at a tee...don't forget that you can locate a problem by knowing where it ISN'T if you can get a look see at everything else...

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  it's like going to willy wonka and the chocolate factory and i was charlie

So we don't have a repeat of last year, the golden ticket is hidden inside the chocolate bar not at the bottom of a milkshake!
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Here is a side by side comparison of the Mini and the micro. I marked where the head begins and ends on each including the connectors.

The gauge on the spring is smaller on the microDrain. Termination design where it connects to the cable is essentially the same.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                      Here is a side by side comparison of the Mini and the micro. I marked where the head begins and ends on each including the connectors.

The gauge on the spring is smaller on the microDrain. Termination design where it connects to the cable is essentially the same.

OK, that's a color Mini, but I get the idea.

I think this has come up before, but it looks like the Micro doesn't have a transmitter. True or false?

If true, that's a deal breaker. My customers expect me to put them within inches of what they're looking for - something I can easily do with SeeSnakes + transmitters.

Comment

We are going to have a version with the sonde built into the camera head. Since its not a flexmitter the signal wont be as strong so you wont pick it up from as far away. In my experimenting I usually pick it up with 10-12 feet of its location. The lower power should be ok though since the cable is only 30 feet to start out with. (Easy to find)

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                          We are going to have a version with the sonde built into the camera head. Since its not a flexmitter the signal wont be as strong so you wont pick it up from as far away. In my experimenting I usually pick it up with 10-12 feet of its location. The lower power should be ok though since the cable is only 30 feet to start out with. (Easy to find)

Josh

OK,- cool.

Of course, that 10-12' will be reduced when it's in cast iron..or is that what you tried it in?

Are you going to charge for the xmtr like it's machined from solid gold as you do for the FlexMitters (hint, hint)?

Comment

MicroDrain
                            Attachment

Compact black and white
                            Attachment

Micro and compact side by side comparison
                            Attachment

MicroDrain spring
                            Attachment

MicroDrain camera head
                            Attachment
                            Attached Files

Comment

so yesterday i had some time to spare as my inspector showed up in the first 15 minutes of a 4 hour window

there were 2 pool service men working on the pumps. so i decided to talk shop with them and explain the new microdrain to them. telling them that it can actually push through sch. 40 pvc pipe and fittings. even telling them it is locatable. thanks josh

so they get done and we walk back out to their truck. grab some fittings from their truck and give them a hands on demo

tried to get them in the photo, but they wanted to be on the other side of the camera

how about getting past a pvc tee from the branch position/ bullhead.

originally i was worried that the camera would have no wall to slide against and just bottom out. but it's flexible enough to hit the tee and turn. with the cameras flexible cable and spring, the tight turns of sch. 40 pressure fittings are no problem with the microdrain

rick.

notice the camera with spacer ball on the left side of pipe against the tailgate.

notice the camera shy pool guy hiding behind my microdrain.

Attached Files
                              Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 06-26-2009, 10:27 AM.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X