X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Josh's Lateral Inspection

Figured it would be fun to stick these 2 videos up and see what you guys think of my hypothesis.

As many of you know I have been working hard at finishing half of my basement. Part of that project is a grungy little bathroom in the corner. I pulled to toilet to tile the floor and decided to stick a microReel down there to see how the lines look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en4P4Kx4v5I

Wasnt real happy with what I found in the first video but the good news is everything is flowing alright. I suspect that the line that comes from the bathroom crosses with the lateral (large expanse that concerns me in video 1) I get the camera to go both direction down the line and it appears that both branches dump into the lateral but are blocked pretty good about 15 feet in both directions. So here is my hypothesis... the 2 branches used to go out to the footer tiles??? Something like this...

There is also a cleanout just outside the bathroom that I camerad through all the way out the the city main. Everything was good in both directions on this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERVVjy34vz4

Disclaimer... this was the first time I looked into these lines so I made some dumb guesses about what I was seeing. the drawing above is my educated guess after completing everything.

Josh
    Attached Files

Re: Josh's Lateral Inspection

Kind of went fast but it doesn't look to bad other than tree roots. Even those didn't look to bad yet. You had one section on the first video, I couldn't tell what it was because you kept the camera moving but it looked like a section was half full of something I couldn't tell.

Comment

hey josh-i know where you can get a good deal on a self leveling camera!

Comment

no self leveling on the microReel ;-) But yeah.. I know a good place too

Comment

josh, referring to the inspection#1 8:40 minute video

is that the video you got from the basement toilet flange

after looking at the video, i get props for clearing your shower drain

looks like #1 is more of a drain tile outside piping. we can't use clay under the structure. suppose to be 2' out from the footing.

i sure hope video #2 is the real sewer line.

do not try jetting #1 as it might become a repipe. you might need to have an unofficial roundup with team geritol to fix that mess up

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

josh video #2 (4:35) was that shot from the same drain opening as the #1 video?

it appears that most of the clay tees are non directional fittings and make it next to impossible to know what direction the snake is going to take.

the roots you have in the 75' section are small right now and eventually will give you a problem.

i would suggest to put 4# of root-x into the line and let it kill what is growing. unless you have a directional c/o it's going to be very difficult to guide the snake the proper direction.

how did you get the camera to go downstream at the start of #2 video?

you need a commentary intro to fill in the audience. and a summary of your findings upon closing. have you not learned from the master yet

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Video #1. Sell the house.

Video #2. Looks in good shape for age & material. What ID is the main sewer to the street? Just getting my bearings.

You should do video #1 again slowly moving and locating. That will give you a better hypothesis in my opinion.

I still say clay sucks.

J.C.

Comment

Video #1 is through the pulled toilet in the bathroom. I dont think the 2 blocked lines are part of anything that needs to drain from my house. I really think they may be old footer tile tie ins.

I found out about not knowing where the heck the snake was going when I was using the k60. Came back with clay. I am pretty sure it went up part 1 of video 1.

Video 2 is of the lateral running all the way out to the city main. Was able to get it to go both ways.

Video 2 was done from a cleanout as labeled in my diagram.

I will make a habit of cameraing the line once a year to keep an eye on it. Not great but could be worse. next time I will locate but I suspect a lot of the ugly stuff is actually under the house

BTW.. I agree.. clay sucks

Comment

i like old clay sewers they make me lots of moola!!!!!

Comment

Josh, i will load up the lining trailer and head that way. Maybe i could talk to Perma-Liner and see if we could work it into some training of some sort.

Then you never have to worry about it again!!!
                    www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Working...
                    X